shutdown message: file /var/run/slimski.auth does not exist

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo shutdown message: file /var/run/slimski.auth does not exist

• This topic has 6 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Sep 13-8:14 pm by entropyagent.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    entropyagent

This system: Kernel: 5.10.188-antix.1-amd64-smp Distro: antiX-23-runit_x64-base Arditi del Popolo 26 August 2023

When shutting down, I notice a disappointing message, which I am typing over manually, as it does not seem to be in any logs.
      (Would it have been written to /var/log/messages, in the old days?)

localized themefile would be /usr/share/slimski/themes/antiX/en_US
        but no matching locale-specific theme file is present.
      /usr/share/slimski/themes/antiX/en_US
      /usr/bin/X11/xauth:  file /var/run/slimski.auth does not exist

The file seems to be present, but timestamp is recent and permissions are not permissive, so perhaps it winked out of existence as it was sought, or perhaps it is not readable by the seeking process?

$ ls -lrt /var/run/slimski.auth
      -rw------- 1 root root 49 Sep 10 17:51 /var/run/slimski.auth

There is a hint of slimski in auth.log – don’t know if it is related.

2023-09-10T17:51:07.875943+02:00 <host> slimski: PAM unable to dlopen(pam_gnome_keyring.so): /lib/security/pam_gnome_keyring.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
      2023-09-10T17:51:07.875959+02:00 <host> slimski: PAM adding faulty module: pam_gnome_keyring.so
      2023-09-10T17:51:14.582888+02:00 <host> slimski: pam_unix(slimski:session): session opened for user <username>(uid=1000) by (uid=0)
      2023-09-10T17:51:14.609376+02:00 <host> elogind[1743]: New session 2 of user <username>.

Is this anything to worry about?

oops

FI: here … I sometimes use : init 0 , or init 6, to shutdown or reboot the PC or WM.

mcpderez

I get those messages too. One of the advantages of running on very slow hardware is getting to see messages that flash by on faster machines. There don’t seem to be any ill effects other than the minor annoyance of having the errors. I’m having trouble imagining any problems it could cause considering the system is on the way down, but if it is not needed for anything maybe it could just be deleted from whichever script is generating them.

entropyagent

On the one hand, of course it’s extremely unlikely that this could be a problem.

On the other hand, in many disaster historical documents, there is someone accepting the wise advice “It’s probably nothing”.

I hope we’re on the one hand, and not the other. And I’m just trying to look busy, you know?

blur13

/usr/bin/X11/xauth 2> /dev/null

problem solved.

anti-apXos

This is a startup message that’s still on tty1 when you shutdown, right? You can see it any time by pressing CTRL+ALT+F1.

I think the /var/run/slimski.auth just hasn’t been placed there at that point in boot.

entropyagent

Interesting, thanks. Had not considered that it might be leftover part of startup. Will be a few days before I can get to the machine to check.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.