signing virtualbox kernel modules?

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer, Helen Keller” signing virtualbox kernel modules?

Tagged: ,

• This topic has 16 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Mar 22-1:49 am by Robin.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    dirkd

I got myself a brand new PC, one of the reasons being that – on the old one – I couldn’t run 64 bit virtual machines. Moving to the new hardware proved to be relatively painless, but VirtualBox (I upgraded to 6.1) now refuses to boot any virtual machine, 32 or 64 bits. It seems I need to sign kernel modules, but the the recipes I found online are not exactly clear and seem to depend on the particular brand of Linux used. I’m a bit nervous about the procedure, since it seems to interfere with the boot process itself. Is it really risky? And has anyone a good reference on how to do it in Antix?

Running 5.8.16 kernel, Antix17, ASUS motherboard.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

I don’t have an answer. But I am wondering why you’re using antiX-17? Maybe the VirtualBox packages are updated in antiX-19? Did you use the Package Installer to install VB?

seaken64

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

I had to downgrade to 5.2.24 Version of virtualbox in order to make it work again on my antiX 17.4.1. But since you have a 5.x kernel installed this might not be true for you.

$ apt-cache policy virtualbox
    virtualbox:
    Installiert: 5.2.24-dfsg-4~mx17+1
    Installationskandidat: 5.2.24-dfsg-4~mx17+1
    Versionstabelle:
    *** 5.2.24-dfsg-4~mx17+1 500
    500 https://mirror.us.oneandone.net/linux/distributions/mx/packages/antix/stretch stretch/main i386 Packages
    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

You might try to upgrade to antiX 19.3 and check for newer versions therein.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by Robin.
    • This reply was modified 3 months ago by Robin.
    dirkd
    Helpful
    Up

Well, when I said the move to new hardware was relatively painless: that’s not the case for Antix19. I actually have both installed, but Antix19 is slow as molasses, while Antix17 just flies. Still researching what is causing that. My Antix17 installation uses the sid repos, so I guess I have the latest Vbox packages. As far as I can see now, Vbox has the same problems in Antix19 as in Antix17.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

I guess I have the latest Vbox packages

FWIW, antiX17 w/ stable repos here. Recently, I upgraded virtualbox, via the packageinstaller utility.
    Now “apt show virtualbox” reports
    Version: 6.1.16-dfsg-6~mx17+1

I have never been asked//required to “sign kernel modules”
    and
    would not expect such would be possible
    (if any joeblow could “sign”, what would be the point in checking?)

Antix19 is slow as molasses

antiX19 HOST, or antiX19 running as guest?

> As far as I can see now, Vbox has the same problems in Antix19 as in Antix17.

If you did not install via “packageinstaller”, please UNinstall whatever version you installed from wherever ~~ then install via “packageinstaller” and recheck the result, okay?

catfood
    Helpful
    Up

I’m glad antiX/MX have VB. Sometimes Debian drops over licensing, sometimes over closed coding. Thankful antiX is self-porting it. Um, I redownload and re-gpg verify(headbutt approach). If still sketchy like that, I’m pretty sure Oracle has a debian repo you could manually add, though no idea if stretchRC or BusterD dependencies there? Cool find though, hopefully someone here see’s the issue.

Howdy Jessie.

dirkd
    Helpful
    Up

Everything is installed via synaptic, and Antix17 / Antix19 both run on the hardware, in a multiple boot setting, not in a virtual machine. In case you wondered. But I didn’t yet upgrade the kernel in the Antix19, so that may explain the sluggishness. As I said, still researching. But first I want to clear this Vbox problem.

I downgraded Vbox from 6.1.18 to 5.1.38, but I still keep getting the same error messages. If I google the matter, it seems not uncommon. Ubuntu and Fedora users complain about the same thing. So for now I can’t run ANY virtual machine.

I’m now wondering if the new kernel may be the problem. Can I downgrade the kernel? Or is this risky? Is it just a matter of selecting an older kernel version in Package Manager? I would like to try the Antix 4.19.152 LTS kernel in stead of 5.8.16.

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by dirkd.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Play with the settings in Vbox – Settings – Display – Graphics Controller

I use VboxvGA

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

dirkd
    Helpful
    Up

Maybe this sheds some light on the problem.

Antix19 running slow has something to do with an unrecognised WiFi adapter (Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX200). Inserting an old USB adapter made it run tolerably well.

I was able to run a 64 bit VM under Antix19, using
    [x] VirtualBox 6.1
    [x] 4.19.xxx kernel

However, a 4.xx kernel doesn’t support the Intel WiFi on my motherboard.

Upgrading the Antix19 kernel to 5.8.16, I can setup the Intel WiFi (sort of, it worked better when I did in on Antix17), but Virtualbox no longer works, complaining about problems with kernel modules. Here are Vbox’s error messages:

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

‘/sbin/vboxconfig’

as root.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) – The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

(This is the error message as printed by Vbox 5.1, Vbox6.1’s message is slightly different and mentions 4 different kernel modules.)

Another thing I noticed. For each 4.x kernel, Synaptic shows a matching header package, which is also installed. The 5.8.18 kernel on the other hand has only an ‘image’-package, and no seperate header package. Does that mean these header files are absent? And could they be needed to handle the kernel modules correctly?

dirkd
    Helpful
    Up

And these are the error messages as printed by Vbox 6.1

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver is either not loaded or not set up correctly. Please try setting it up again by executing

‘/sbin/vboxconfig’

as root.

If your system has EFI Secure Boot enabled you may also need to sign the kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load them. Please see your Linux system’s documentation for more information.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) – The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Another thing I noticed. For each 4.x kernel, Synaptic shows a matching header package, which is also installed. The 5.8.18 kernel on the other hand has only an ‘image’-package, and no separate header package. Does that mean these header files are absent?

Did you install it using the package installer or synaptic? Headers for 5.8.16 are available. you just forgot to install them.

apt policy linux-headers-5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp
    linux-headers-5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp-1
      Version table:
         5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp-1 500

I don’t know what is going on with your particular system, but I have virtualbox running properly in aniX 19 on my laptop with 5.10 antiX kernel.

apt policy virtualbox-qt
    virtualbox-qt:
      Installed: 6.1.18-dfsg-2~mx19+1
      Candidate: 6.1.18-dfsg-2~mx19+1

See screenshot of virtualbox running the alpha of antiX 21:
    virtualbox6-1-antix21

dirkd
    Helpful
    Up

You’re right about the headers of course. I checked again and they are installed on Antix17. Sorry for the confusion. I’ll reboot and check Antix19 in a moment.

One more thing: does your system have a UEFI bios? My new PC has an AMD Ryzen 5 processor and a B550 chipset. The BIOS setup program is rather complicated, and I don’t immediately see how to disable UEFI. I guess that would solve the issue too. I’m not keen on experimenting with BIOS settings that I don’t fully understand.

In any case, on my computer the problem is definitely related too the kernel version. In Antix19 VBox refuses to run a VM with kernel 5.8. Uninstalling kernel 5.8 (falling back to 4.x LTS kernel) and re-installing the Virtualbox-dkms package restores Vbox functionality.

This is Synaptics report when installing virtualbox-dkms

debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
    debconf: (Can’t locate Gtk3.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Gtk3 module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.30.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.30.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.30 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.30 /usr/share/perl/5.30 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 151, <> line 1.)
    debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog
    (Reading database … 511221 files and directories currently installed.)
    Preparing to unpack …/virtualbox-dkms_6.1.18-dfsg-2~mx19+1_amd64.deb …

——————————
    Deleting module version: 6.1.18
    completely from the DKMS tree.
    ——————————
    Done.
    Unpacking virtualbox-dkms (6.1.18-dfsg-2~mx19+1) over (6.1.18-dfsg-2~mx19+1) …
    Setting up virtualbox-dkms (6.1.18-dfsg-2~mx19+1) …
    debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Gnome
    debconf: (Can’t locate Gtk3.pm in @INC (you may need to install the Gtk3 module) (@INC contains: /etc/perl /usr/local/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.30.0 /usr/local/share/perl/5.30.0 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl5/5.30 /usr/share/perl5 /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl/5.30 /usr/share/perl/5.30 /usr/local/lib/site_perl /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/perl-base) at /usr/share/perl5/Debconf/FrontEnd/Gnome.pm line 151.)
    debconf: falling back to frontend: Dialog
    Loading new virtualbox-6.1.18 DKMS files…
    Building for 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp
    Building initial module for 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp
    Error! Bad return status for module build on kernel: 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp (x86_64)
    Consult /var/lib/dkms/virtualbox/6.1.18/build/make.log for more information.

And this is the make-log it refers to

DKMS make.log for virtualbox-6.1.18 for kernel 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp (x86_64)
    Sat 20 Mar 2021 06:27:58 PM CET
    make: Entering directory ‘/usr/src/linux-headers-5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp’

ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.
    include/generated/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.
    Run ‘make oldconfig && make prepare’ on kernel src to fix it.

Makefile:719: recipe for target ‘include/config/auto.conf’ failed
    make: *** [include/config/auto.conf] Error 1
    make: Leaving directory ‘/usr/src/linux-headers-5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp’

dirkd
    Helpful
    Up

Hurray! It seems like switching to the latest 5.10 kernel did the trick.

In both Antix 17 and Antix19, with kernel 5.10, I can run Vbox with 64bit virtual machines and at the same time my brand new network devices are supported. Not only the Intel 6 AX200 WiFi, but also the 2.5Gb Realtek Ethernet, which wasn’t supported even on the 5.8 kernel.

Seems the 5.10 kernel has arrived just in time for me.

I would like to add [solved] to the title, I’ve done that on earlier posts, but it seems I’m not able to do so anymore.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

I got myself a brand new PC, one of the reasons being that – on the old one – I couldn’t run 64 bit virtual machines. Moving to the new hardware

It would help for future users who are troubleshooting if you would please share your hardware info. Especially since this issue was directly related to your upgrading to new hardware.

Please post your output of “inxi -Fxzr”

Thank you,
    seaken64

dirkd
    Helpful
    Up

And many thanks to everyone who shared his Vbox experiences.

$ inxi -Fxzr
    System:
      Host: dokux Kernel: 5.10.22-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 
      compiler: N/A Desktop: Fluxbox 1.3.5 
      Distro: antiX-17.2_x64-full Helen Keller 4 October 2018 
      base: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid 
    Machine:
      Type: Desktop System: ASUS product: N/A v: N/A serial: <filter> 
      Mobo: ASUSTeK model: TUF GAMING B550-PLUS (WI-FI) v: Rev X.0x 
      serial: <filter> BIOS: American Megatrends v: 1004 date: 08/13/2020 
    CPU:
      Topology: 6-Core model: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 bits: 64 type: MT MCP arch: Zen 
      L2 cache: 3072 KiB 
      flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 sse4a ssse3 svm 
      bogomips: 86236 
      Speed: 1902 MHz min/max: 2200/3600 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 2196 2: 2195 
      3: 2195 4: 2195 5: 2196 6: 2195 7: 2196 8: 2195 9: 2196 10: 2195 11: 2196 
      12: 2195 
    Graphics:
      Device-1: NVIDIA GK208 [GeForce GT 710B] driver: nouveau v: kernel 
      bus ID: 06:00.0 
      Display: server: X.Org 1.20.10 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa 
      resolution: 1280x1024~60Hz 
      OpenGL: renderer: NV106 v: 4.3 Mesa 19.2.6 direct render: Yes 
    Audio:
      Device-1: NVIDIA GK208 HDMI/DP Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel 
      bus ID: 06:00.1 
      Device-2: AMD driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel bus ID: 08:00.4 
      Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.10.22-antix.1-amd64-smp 
    Network:
      Device-1: Intel driver: iwlwifi v: kernel port: N/A bus ID: 04:00.0 
      IF: wlan1 state: up mac: <filter> 
      Device-2: Realtek driver: r8169 v: kernel port: f000 bus ID: 05:00.0 
      IF: eth1 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter> 
      IF-ID-1: docker0 state: down mac: <filter> 
    Argument "(5)" isn't numeric in numeric eq (==) at /usr/local/bin/inxi line 11173.
    Drives:
      Local Storage: total: 2.80 TiB used: 1.38 TiB (49.9%) 
      ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Samsung model: HD753LJ size: 698.64 GiB 
      ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Western Digital model: WD20EZRZ-00Z5HB0 
      size: 1.82 TiB 
      ID-3: /dev/sdc vendor: Intel model: SSDSA2CT040G3 size: 37.27 GiB 
      ID-4: /dev/sdd vendor: Kingston model: SV300S37A120G size: 111.79 GiB 
    Partition:
      ID-1: / size: 36.44 GiB used: 20.06 GiB (55.1%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdc1 
      ID-2: swap-1 size: 2.02 GiB used: 4.0 MiB (0.2%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdd2 
    Sensors:
      System Temperatures: cpu: 49.8 C mobo: N/A gpu: nouveau temp: 43 C 
      Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
    Repos:
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list 
      1: deb http://nl.mxrepo.com/antix/testing testing main nosystemd nonfree
      2: deb-src http://nl.mxrepo.com/antix/testing testing main nosystemd nonfree
      No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list 
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list 
      1: deb http://security.debian.org/ testing-security main contrib non-free
      2: deb http://ftp.be.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/eid.list 
      1: deb http://files.eid.belgium.be/debian buster main
      2: deb http://files2.eid.belgium.be/debian buster main
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/google-chrome.list 
      1: deb [arch=amd64] http://dl.google.com/linux/chrome/deb/ stable main
      No active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/onion.list 
      Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/various.list 
      1: deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian stretch contrib
    Info:
      Processes: 302 Uptime: 3h 17m Memory: 15.58 GiB used: 1.23 GiB (7.9%) 
      Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 10.2.1 Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.