sisimedia failure antiX-17_386-base

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-17 “Heather Heyer, Helen Keller” sisimedia failure antiX-17_386-base

• This topic has 5 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Oct 31-3:48 am by SamK.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin

md5sum OK
    ISO burned to CDROM

X server fails to start
    demo user does not log-in automatically
    boot stops at cli when log-in should occur showing message “For command line install…”

Manual log-in as demo leaves user at /

Attached archive contains, cmdline, inxi, Xorg.0.log

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Using Vesa cheatcode with F keys on boot before a install a no go Sam? I have not tested yet on My IBM T23 with Savage graphics.

I got a suspicion Debian Stretch Xorg version and the Sis and Via and Savage drivers supplied are not gonna play on the playground together again.

My caveman logic for thinking this.

[   174.172] (EE) sisimedia: module ABI major version (18) doesn't match the server's version (23)
    [   174.172] (EE) sisimedia: module ABI major version (18) doesn't match the server's version (23)
    [   174.172] (II) UnloadModule: "sisimedia"
    [   174.172] (II) Unloading sisimedia
    [   174.172] (EE) Failed to load module "sisimedia" (module requirement mismatch, 0)
    [   174.172] (EE) No drivers available.
    [   174.172] (EE) 
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

How about the solution posted in this thread (post 3 re IgnoreABI in /etc/xorg.conf)

SiS 671 in Lubuntu 16.04/xorg 1.18 und 15.10/xorg 1.17

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

“Ignore Abi” option in xorg.conf does the tick, no re-compiling needed:

Section “ServerFlags”
    Option “IgnoreABI” “True”
    EndSection

For a good measure, I also added:

Section “Files”
    ModulePath “/ usr / lib / xorg / modules”
    ModulePath “/ usr / lib / xorg64 / modules”
    EndSection

Unfortunately I do not see much better compared to the default buffer driver or vesa. At least not on 1680 × 1050 resolution, have not tested with 1280 × 800.

(I hoped that viewing youtube videos will work fine with accelerated driver, but it’s still jumpy.)

Anyway: i can confirm the driver works with 64bit ubuntu 14.04.

I used google translate in my Browser extentions installation to translate a little bit. I used the continue reading in Anti’s post to get me to the site.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin

Using Vesa cheatcode with F keys on boot before a install a no go Sam?

Yes, Vesa does work and automatically logs-in demo, then goes on produce the desktop as expected.

When Debian removed SIS from their Stable repo, I found sisimedia which we added to antiX-15 instead. It has worked fine up to antiX-17. So it is now a case of trying to pin down the cause of the failure in 17 and looking for a way to resolve it.

How about the solution posted in this thread (post 3 re IgnoreABI in /etc/xorg.conf)

The problem was seen when booting from CDROM. When I have an opportunity, I will use writeable media to test the idea.

Forum Admin

The system on which the failure is present currently has antiX-16 conventionally installed to hard disk. To test, an identical system was used on which antiX-17 was installed to hard disk. To eliminate monitor related problems the same monitor was used in all tests and and during installation.

Because of the inability to boot to a live environment GUI using the sismedia driver, it was booted to CLI and the CLI installer was used. This completed without reported errors. It automatically set up Vesa which worked as expected following a reboot.

From the antiX-16 system, that works with sisimedia, the xorg.conf was copied to the antiX-17 system.

Following a reboot the system failed to produce a GUI desktop.

The xorg.conf was then edited to incorporate the suggested idea re IgnoreABI.

Following a reboot the system failed to produce a GUI desktop.

The xorg.conf was then edited to include the ModulePath.

Following a reboot unchanged failure symptoms were present.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.