SLiM themes

Forum Forums antiX-development Development SLiM themes

This topic contains 29 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by BobC Jun 20-6:23 am.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    skidoo

displaying a list of available users [..] is contrary to security BestPractices

Several forks of slim are active.
    If you care to track ’em down (most are mentioned in the TODO.txt I linked in earlier post), search at github.com, gitlab.com, git.devuan.org, repology.org, pkgs.org …

Most of the active forks, if not all, have incorporated a “slimlock” screenlocker component. I disagree.
    SLiM – Simple Login Manager

Most of the active forks have dropped consolekit support. I disagree… and that, (plus unicode support, plus bidirectional lang support {as a buld option}) stands as the primary distinguishing feature of my fork. Ironically, I’m really not multilingual so cannot easily test ~~ but the “slim -p” preview does correctly display a hardcoded string of test characters, so seems to be working properly.

It chaps my hide when someone “reads something on the internet” (manyroads, ARCHwiki),
    naively accepts it as universally-true gospel, then ignorantly parrots // perpetuates the misinformation.

Absolutely, SLiM is deprecated in ARCH linux. So is sysV init…
    Possibly worse, debian “maintains” a castrated (consolekit support removed) version of SLiM ~~ perpetuating the DebHat agenda as though nothing but polkit//pkexec exists, nothing but polkit//pkexec matters

post #20872 the user name field seems to have a dropdown dialog with user name elitebook

Yah, “elitebook” would likely be a HOSTNAME, not a username dontchathink?
    In any event, SLiM lacks the code necessary to “draw” even a simple entrybox
    (the input boxes are “faked” by overlaying text atop a panel background image)
    so I understood those example screenshots were from some other login manager

Koo
    Koo

@Skidoo

Doe’s consolekit support work on a systemd ops. Consolekit work great on antiX ever lost a session yet.
    What worry me is that more and more programs are becoming systemd compatible almost weekly. Just hope they are not tiring to force all Linux systems to go systemd one of the best thing about Linux is we have choices.

lol thanks for the info on elitebook.

X220

BobC

The one issue I have with slim is that with a background it uses a lot more memory that it keeps using later after you are logged in. I disable the background entirely, to save that memory (do really frugal people even try to save memory?), which I’m sure everyone but me would find unpalatable.

noClue
    noClue

@skidoo

I understood those example screenshots were from some other login manager

Correct. It was just “example look” with a question “Would it be possible …”

(That’s why: ‘elitebook’ == user name.)

How strange is to be anything at all. (Alice in Wonderland)

skidoo

do really frugal people even try to save memory?

Well… I do. When I began messing around with SLiM, the default antiX background.jpg was the “outerspace(?) stars on black field” image. It was already only 28kb or so, but I optimized it (denoised, bumped the saturation, then resaved with higher jpeg compression) and wound up with an 18kb imagefile. Hey, whatif I just replaced it with a solid black image? Result: 14kb. Hmm, howabout a 128x128px solid black image, and set “stretch to fit” in the SLiM config? Yeah, but that’s disk storage space (micro)optimization though.

The buffer to paint a root window, @1920×1080 and 16-bit color depth ~~ its size is fixed, remains unchanged, regardless what image (or array of solid color pixels) occupy the buffer.

one issue I have with slim any graphical login manager is

Yep, and during a live+toram session, the overhead from each overly-large “background” (slim or wm wallpaper) image is multiplied. Example: a copy of a 1.1Mb imagefile file is read from linuxfs and written to /live/aufs-ram/… then is used to populate the SLiM cache, then it is (or another overly-large imagefile is) again read and separately cached by the window manager for use as root window wallpaper. In other words, using a 14kb imagefile, vs a 1.1Mb imagefile can shave 3Mb overhead ~~ on a low resource system, this stands as more than a “micro optimization”. Really though, can such a system run live+toram without bumping into a wall, the need to swap? Per my testing, yes it can; by assessing which apps will be concurrently running I can reasonably calculate the baseline, the minimum RAM requirement.

I rarely use multiple monitors (so not inclined to test this “theory”) but we expect//demand the software support multiple displays, and a cached (resized-to-1920×1080) buffer wouldn’t be reusable for additional, different resolution displays. Does the window manager keep a memory-cached copy of the full, unscaled, image in case hot-plugged additional displays are added? What happens if, mid-session, you attach an additional display? It is just autodetected and immediately works? Or no, but can change the settings immediately via XrandR? Or no, must logout//login for any (re)configuration to take effect? Does SLiM hang (or the displayed screen is not properly scaled) if you change monitors mid-session then logout and return to the SLiM login screen?

Just now, I quickly tested in virtualbox, antix17 live:
    login to desktop session, rename /usr/share/slim/themes/antiX/background.jpg
    logout and note that SLiM “hangs”

Yeah, begs the question “if SLiM is holding a cached copy of the background image, why the heck does it (re)check files-on-disk each time its login screen is subsequently displayed?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

Just now, I quickly tested in virtualbox, antix17 live:
    login to desktop session, rename /usr/share/slim/themes/antiX/background.jpg
    logout and note that SLiM “hangs”

I just noticed that too with the 19-a1 version.

The min-* options do not set a ‘desktop’ nor a ‘desktop’ image, saving lots of RAM.
    Ideal for the frugal users amongst us.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

BobC

With 19-a1 I ran the min-icewm option from the menu and it works from there, but slim was still 15 mb. I found that changing the slim background from control centre actually did get slim down to 5 mb after a reboot. It also removed the volume icon and conky and saved more there.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

The biggest save is not using rox/spacefm desktop.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

oops
    oops

displaying a list of available users [..] is contrary to security BestPractices

Several forks of slim are active.
    If you care to track ’em down (most are mentioned in the TODO.txt I linked in earlier post), search at github.com, gitlab.com, git.devuan.org, repology.org, pkgs.org …

Most of the active forks, if not all, have incorporated a “slimlock” screenlocker component. I disagree.
    SLiM – Simple Login Manager

Most of the active forks have dropped consolekit support. I disagree… and that, (plus unicode support, plus bidirectional lang support {as a buld option}) stands as the primary distinguishing feature of my fork. Ironically, I’m really not multilingual so cannot easily test ~~ but the “slim -p” preview does correctly display a hardcoded string of test characters, so seems to be working properly.

Hi,
    I disagree too …
    This is not necessarily very relevant, one does not prevent the other, we can have both options (to meet or not the “best practices”)

noClue
    noClue

To partially answer my own question from above (#20872):

Slim login-mask with user name and password, similar like on the screenshots above (#20872), works and looks fine.

manyroads
    manyroads

Sehr schön! Very nice!

if you are open to a tiny critique, I’d match the two “yellows” (cityscape image). I think the dark gold/ yellow is especially elegant.

On a totally useless note, we drove 2000 miles (3200km) across the US last week and passed a ‘bunch’ of wind farms. The largest one in Iowa was almost 50 miles (80km) wide.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by manyroads.

Pax Vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau aka. manyroads
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." ---H. L. Mencken

noClue
    noClue

Thanks … It’s just a “proof of concept” done today morning. 😉

It’s not meant to be actually used.

Otherwise, icons, mouse cursor, theme, task-bar elements, slim and the wallpaper would have to match better.
    The only problem would be to change the Breeze cursor — ‘1001’ single elements in there.
    If I’d be using it, I’d probably change the Slim according to ‘antiX Moon’.

It’s my ‘digital playground’. 😉

oops
    oops

Right, congratulations noClue, I like too.

noClue
    noClue

Dark City Gold Moon antiX Paper Log-in screen and the rest would look something like that.

BobC

Skidoo, can you suggest, please? Slim is using 34 mb all the time in its default configuration. I got it down to 28 mb by redoing the .jpg

I would be perfectly fine with most of my 34 mb back and a simple blue sign on screen that says

antiX login

User Id:
    Password:

What can I do?

TIA

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.