Slitaz: trying to do updating/installing software did my head in !!

Forum Forums General Other Distros Slitaz: trying to do updating/installing software did my head in !!

• This topic has 11 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Oct 2-5:31 pm by rokytnji.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

I have just been trying out Slitaz 5.0 (rolling release), am extremely lightweight distro comparable to antiX, but that’s where the similarity ends! I wasted a whole day just trying to work out how to install LibreOffice and other software, and followed a couple of fixes for these to the letter, but couldn’t get it to work. It seems a nice little distro with some good features, but they need to get their act together if they want to make updating straightforward. More people would try this distro if they could make it a bit more polished. This distro is certainly not for a beginner to Linux …

• This topic was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by mikey777.

Just to let you know, it was a sigh of relief when returning to antiX from 2 days of flirting with Slitaz.
    The thing that ended trying Slitaz, along with its very buggy nature, was the small repository of apps, with many of the usual ones I’m used to missing, e.g. gksu, gedit, clementine, etc, etc. Unlike antiX, it’s not a distro for newbies, or the faint-hearted. You need to have very good command-line skills to use this distro – not as user-friendly as antiX.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by mikey777.

As I remember from a number years ago Slitaz was a good idea of a modular OS and at first I played quite some with release 3, then a bit more recently with release 5 I was disappointed to not see much noticeable progress. Tried Astrumi but then moved to TinyCore – a great modular OS. Eventually came to test antiX 17 with good success with no pain. The only main thing I needed to modify in antiX 17 (with the great help in this forum) was poor quality fonts, which was an eyesore. Looks to me this issue has been fixed in antiX 19 now…

My Dad used to say, good, fast and cheap, pick any two.

I have Slitaz running successfully, but yes its quite different, and if what you want isn’t there, though, it’s not a beginner level task adding new things.

I wasn’t able to figure out adding new packages, either. I was trying to add a few simpler X games. I had the same problem with nutyx trying to add new things as well. A good step by step video example of how to add something small from source correctly would be a big help.

The advantages antiX has there are the big debian repo, and that for other programs there are usually instructions how to add them to debian, which many times will work with antiX, too.

Yes, I had similar difficulties with Slackware. The defect was my own – Slackware is a great distro. But I have a hard time understanding their systems for Slackbuilds and compiling software. Whenever I wanted to add a new program I usually ended with failure. If the package was already in the repos I was good to go. But if not I couldn’t get stuff installed.

I also played with Slitaz and Puppy. I had similar problems.

I ended up going to Xubuntu since a lot of what I wanted was already in the repos and it was easier for me to install stuff. That lead me to Debian, then to antiX. I love antiX since it is easier for me to use. And it is essentially Debian with the antiX goodies added.

Seaken64

One other thing… And it’s a big difference, one thing that stands out here is the number of helpful people here. There are people that know that jump in with a link or show me how many times, even to the point of writing things… Some others try, some don’t, some try harder.

masinickmasinick

I agree with you and I appreciate everyone’s work – those who develop code, those who test the code, the great work on documentation, video examples, forum help and support.

Fantastic collaboration!

One other thing… And it’s a big difference, one thing that stands out here is the number of helpful people here. There are people that know that jump in with a link or show me how many times, even to the point of writing things… Some others try, some don’t, some try harder.

Brian Masinick

yes – I couldn’t agree more – people are really helpful here – it’s a big draw for me too.

I have Slitaz running successfully, but yes it’s quite different, and if what you want isn’t there, though, it’s not a beginner level task adding new things. I wasn’t able to figure out adding new packages, either. I was trying to add a few simpler X games. I had the same problem with nutyx trying to add new things as well. A good step by step video example of how to add something small from source correctly would be a big help.

I did persevere with Slitaz and did actually manage to get it going – updating too – in the end and met a couple of very helpful folk on the forum. It’s probably fine if you don’t want a wide range of packages or you’re not bothered if the packages & kernel are not the latest, and you get around the frustration of things not working & have good command-line skills (which I don’t have).

I went for Slitaz as I needed something for my 8-year old single-core Intel Atom N145 netbook (CPU@1.66GHz, 2GB RAM) and my 3-year-old Manjaro install had become somewhat bloated and laggy on this machine, idling at 320 to 380GB RAM! With a fresh install of Slitaz5 Rolling I found it idled at 40GB (32bit OS) or 65GB (64-bit OS). But then I discovered antiX17 was only 70GB & 113GB respectively, was loaded with a ton of software and had access to an unlimited quantity of packages, that is for all my intents & purposes. On the face of it, the preference would appear to be a no-brainer!

At the moment, I’m running several benchmarking tests from command-line & Chromium browser on the Intel Atom Netbook, comparing antiX to MX-linux, Slitaz, Raspberry Pi desktop (Pixel+Debian), and anything else I can find that’s really super-lightweight. I gave up with Void, that was a very strange distro – made Slitaz look dead easy by comparison – tried Tiny Core Plus too but didn’t get very far with it either, and it looked just a bit too spartan for me …

PS. Shall I post the results of the benchmarking tests here?

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by mikey777.

With fresh install u should be enough to run any app, its a pain having to do update after fresh install cuz sometimes its turn into redownload the whole system (even if u’re close to the next release); I use antiX 17 with this firefox outdated browser cuz it can run flash games and I was unable to make it work in upper releases (here its installed predefined and that’s enough for me).

Many of these stuff doesn’t care if the kernel say: “hey, ur computer is too old to read this acpi table, I better give up, doom.” I hope antiX ppl compile a 4.4.x kernel 32 bits customized with most common apps. No need to update them and ppl will luv it (ppl with older or way older system). I mean, this would be pretty kewl to use than a bunch of kernel parameters that doesn’t shut the screen after poweroff, cuz let be honest, most of ppl don’t know wut they do when they use kernel parameters to resolve whatever they want or heavyly impact in the system performance. However, if anyone know a distro who already achieve it pm me.

About this topic updating or installing software, I suggest to change dependences links or these stuff, I forgot anything about it but u can; reinstall ur packet manager if its needed then make an upgrade dist, I don’t know if u do use apt or dpkg, maybe dnf/yum but there are scripts or tools to diagnose these errors/crashes, u just need require time and good net to search on forums (just to find that other ppl gots same issues and they never achieve the victory over it).

This is a signature.

I got a version of Manjaro loaded and controlling the boot on my Dell M2400 laptop. I found that the Arch based distros won’t boot from a Debian based boot, and that the Arcolinux boot 19.05 that I tried wouldn’t boot any for some strange reason, but I was able to overcome by loading Manjaro 18.1 Gnome and letting it control the boot.

All of these systems have a quirk or two, I guess, with all the permutations of different things trying to work together, we really should be amazed that things do work, and not be so surprised to find a quirk here or there. For those of us that are mere mortals, we could offer to help debug or pitch in to help with whatever we can learn.

Forum Admin
    rokytnjirokytnji

Sitaz Cooking was always trickey dickey when running cooking version on my low powered IBM laptops.
    Sometimes stuff would install and launch. Sometimes not, I had stickey notes covering the lcd screen .

Edit: As far as posting bench marking tests on this forum. I see no problem myself.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.