Slow Wireless antix 17.3.1

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Slow Wireless antix 17.3.1

Tagged: 

This topic contains 29 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by linuxdaddy Jan 12-3:32 pm.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    carlson.v

i have installed the kernel from package installer and the kernel in there was 4.19.10 there was no 4.20, how do i update the installer to include 4.20?
    i followed the instruction from linuxdaddy before i rebooted to proper update the kernel and remaster the usb. after that i ran the wifi and connected it via ceni and the wireless speeds
    are still no good. still has excessive retries (31). i am literally 2 feet from the router and don’t know why the signal is poor, my phone and other laptop are close as well and they have perfect signal. should the driver be updated? i apologize but i havent the slightest clue how to build a new driver…..i am a noob when it comes to that stuff.

kind regards
    Mark

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

hi carlson
    the 4.20 kernel is in synaptic but my screenshot is from 4.19
    in the installer —the drivers from github won’t build on mine. aparantly alot of people have linux
    problems with this chip and speed/signal quality with the rt2800 driver.
    I thought the chip was newer…it came out in 2010/2011.
    I’m only few feet from router as well. I’m getting alot of retries as well and poor (-37dpm) signal
    could you post “iwconfig” with the new kernel.

Normal == 🙂
    depends on the surrounding crowd ?!

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

I’ll mess with it more tomorrow as getting an actual rt5390 driver to
    work will help alot of other linux users.

Normal == 🙂

carlson.v

here is some info after i did kernel upgrade
    iwconfig

ncy:2.437 GHz  Access Point: B0:4E:26:5C:AB:28   
              Bit Rate=18 Mb/s  root@antix1:/home/demo# iwconfig
    lo        no wireless extensions.

wlan0     IEEE 802.11  ESSID:"TP-Link_AB28"  
              Mode:Managed  Freque Tx-Power=20 dBm   
              Retry short  long limit:2   RTS thr:off   Fragment thr:off
              Encryption key:off
              Power Management:off
              Link Quality=65/70  Signal level=-45 dBm  
              Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0
              Tx excessive retries:53  Invalid misc:69   Missed beacon:0

eth0      no wireless extensions.

inix -Fxz with showing new kernel

System:    Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.19.10-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 6.3.0 Desktop: IceWM 1.4.2 
               Distro: antiX-17.3.1_x64-full Helen Keller 27 December 2018 base: Debian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch) 
    Machine:   Type: Laptop System: Hewlett-Packard product: HP 2000 Notebook PC v: 088B110000305910000620100 serial: <filter> 
               Mobo: Hewlett-Packard model: 1854 v: 64.22 serial: <filter> UEFI [Legacy]: Insyde v: F.26 date: 02/21/2013 
    Battery:   ID-1: BAT0 charge: 41.6 Wh condition: 41.6/41.6 Wh (100%) model: Hewlett-Packard Primary status: Full 
    CPU:       Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Celeron B820 bits: 64 type: MCP arch: Sandy Bridge rev: 7 L2 cache: 2048 KiB 
               flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 6784 
               Speed: 979 MHz min/max: 800/1700 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 798 2: 798 
    Graphics:  Device-1: Intel 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: i915 
               v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0 
               Display: server: X.Org 1.19.2 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa resolution: 1366x768~60Hz 
               OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel Sandybridge Mobile v: 3.3 Mesa 13.0.6 direct render: Yes 
    Audio:     Device-1: Intel 7 Series/C216 Family High Definition Audio vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: snd_hda_intel 
               v: kernel bus ID: 00:1b.0 
               Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.19.10-antix.1-amd64-smp 
    Network:   Device-1: Ralink RT5390R 802.11bgn PCIe Wireless Network Adapter vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: rt2800pci 
               v: 2.3.0 port: 4040 bus ID: 01:00.0 
               IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter> 
               Device-2: Realtek RTL8101/2/6E PCI Express Fast/Gigabit Ethernet vendor: Hewlett-Packard driver: r8169 v: kernel 
               port: 2000 bus ID: 08:00.0 
               IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter> 
    Drives:    Local Storage: total: 312.53 GiB used: 8.32 GiB (2.7%) 
               ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Western Digital model: WD3200BPVT-60JJ5T0 size: 298.09 GiB 
               ID-2: /dev/sdb type: USB vendor: Verbatim model: STORE N GO size: 14.44 GiB 
    Partition: ID-1: / size: 1.39 GiB used: 3.5 MiB (0.2%) fs: overlay source: ERR-102 
               ID-2: swap-1 size: 1.89 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda3 
    Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0 C mobo: N/A 
               Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A 
    Info:      Processes: 120 Uptime: 23m Memory: 1.78 GiB used: 205.5 MiB (11.3%) Init: SysVinit runlevel: 5 Compilers: 
               gcc: 6.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.12 inxi: 3.0.29 

speed on wireless is poor still and also the signal isn’t great

kind regards

carlson.v

i have tested ubuntu 18.04, 18.10 (updated kernels also in 18.10) i have also went and tested lubuntu 16.04.5 LTS and 19.04….yes i know its basically ubuntu but i did find many other things i liked about lubuntu than ubuntu but this wireless thing/bug/shit wireless card driver or not driver is on every single linux based OS i’ve tried. indeed if you are able to compile a better driver and it actually works i think this will help many!….including yours truly.\

cheers

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

I downloaded both of the github ones to dig into but they haven’t been updated in quite some
    time and the HP windows 8 driver fails with ndiswrapper….so this might take alot
    of fiddling with to get something going. Nobody from ubuntu or debian have posted a
    solution since the kernel 3 series with the actual rt5390sta driver. My laptop is the
    same one you have…a HP-2000 with rt5390 wifi to test it on.

Normal == 🙂

ohh
    ohh

Have you looked at this:

https://github.com/agerwick/RT28XX-RT539X-Linux-driver

cheers,
    ohh

Every matter requires prior knowledge.

- Du Mu
    The Art of War

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

I have ohh,

I’ve got alot to compare and dig though, edit, build, and test…..
    so far

*https://github.com/Inglebard/2011_1007_RT5390_RT5392_Linux_STA_V2.5.0.3_DPO_v2
    *https://github.com/agerwick/RT28XX-RT539X-Linux-driver
    *https://github.com/dapengjun/rt5390
    *https://github.com/s-evans/rt5390
    *https://github.com/aur-archive/rt5390
    *https://www.driverscape.com/download/ralink-rt5390-802.11b-g-n-wifi-adapter

Driver Version: 5.00.52.0000
        Release Date: 2014-11-25
        File Size: 11.74M
        Supported OS: Windows 10 64 bit, Windows 8.1 64bit, Windows 8 64bit

*http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp60001-60500/sp60464.exe
        The HP windows 8 rt5390 driver
        WiFi 802.11 b/g/n Ralink

I’m using full-stretch to embark on this experiment.

Normal == 🙂

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

Today finally got my laptop setup for testing trying the 4.9 patched kernels first but haven’t
    made alot o’ headway yet on building or patching….been gathering sources and reading.
    Here’s a screenshot of my usb setup so far. It’s on a 200gb usb persistance setup.

Attachments:

Normal == 🙂

caprea
    caprea

linuxdaddy and carlson.v
    Did you already try to load the module with this parameter

sudo modprobe -r rt2800pci
    sudo modprobe rt2800pci nohwcrypt=1

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

No Caprea I haven’t but will try that.

My aim here is at trying to maybe separate the 5390 driver module from the 2800 code to
    have it’s own 64-bit driver for newer kernels.

Normal == 🙂

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

oops…carlson,

I wrote: "I noticed that your
    post of iwconfig shows a real bad signal level at -33 dbm."

which is good see ” https://eyesaas.com/wi-fi-signal-strength

when I should’ve wrote about the “Bit Rate=1 Mb/s Tx-Power=20 dBm” line.
    your bit rate went from “Bit Rate=1 Mb/s to Bit Rate=18 Mb/s” so the newer kernel
    is the one I’ll switch to test with. For some reason the rt2800pci module is locked
    at “tx-power=20 dbm”

Normal == 🙂

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

After reading around online…this is just a poor chip and has been discontinued by
    everyone except a few on github.
    Even the driver for rt2800pci has been ” http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com
    The ralink now mediatek driver downloads are gone as well. So I’ll mess
    with the ndiswrapper and driver as well as the agerwick driver that’s on
    github for a while but I think looking for a better wifi card is where it’s
    headed.

Normal == 🙂

carlson.v

ic, ya its too bad but i have to agree with you. A different card might be the way to go. its weird because i have had this laptop on windows for a while (just saying windows wants to make me throw up in my mouth a bit..) i could be anywhere in my house and the wireless connection was fine but any “buntu” version i tried plus antix it does not work. I completely agree with you that this chip is poor as i have read the same things about how poor it is so definitely not going to say your wrong. i was in at a computer store a couple days ago and seen they had a USB wifi for $30….i might get that and give it a try if a solution is not possible under the current setup.

thank you kindly for your help, will wait to see what the final say is and go from there. I have AntiX on a USB with persistence and have been using it on a different laptop and I really enjoy it, super fast and easy to use. DolphinOracle’s videos are awesome, very appreciative of those for starting up!! i am slowly learning the ropes and trying out as i have more questions i might have to get some more help but so far its been good.

kind regards

linuxdaddy
    linuxdaddy

Carlson….you wrote:

🙂 🙂

(just saying windows wants to make me throw up in my mouth a bit..)

🙂 🙂

Totally agree! Most of the reason is companies write drivers for windows but usually
    linux drivers are wrote by individuals or groups through trial and error. I’d ask them
    what chip it uses or if it works with modern linux. Look around the other forums and see which
    cards and chips are working good. I’ve had good results with the atheros chips
    and I see alot of people use intel ones. I’ve been looking at how openbsd is doing
    it with the 5390 and their ral driver too. The ralink 5390 was a cheap chip for companies
    to throw in and write a windows driver for. It gets pretty warm too … Mine looses connect if
    it’s across the room on the stock driver/module no matter what kernel (4.9 – 4.19 – or 4.20) and
    the stable, haven’t tried testing yet.

Normal == 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.