Snapshot and LiveUSB backup but no GUI

Forum Forums General Software Snapshot and LiveUSB backup but no GUI

• This topic has 1 reply, 1 voice, and was last updated Apr 6-3:02 am by seaken64.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

I finished setting up my antiX-19.3 64-bit install on my “new” old computer. It is working fine. See the thread here:

My antiX “fu” is not strong (but is now stronger) (Solved)

I am now trying to do a snapshot and verify it by booting from the Live USB. I used the Snapshot and LiveUSB programs to create the LiveUSB backup of my system. But it won’t boot to a GUI.

In short, I changed the Xorg version to 1.19 and installed the nvidia-legacy-304xx-driver package. So this is not a pure antiX-19.3 setup anymore. I am wondering if this might be the reason that the LiveUSB won’t boot to a GUI desktop.

When I look at the inxi the graphics show the nvidia driver is loaded, then Xorg 1.19 has no driver. So, Xorg is not starting. I tried also both Safevideo and Failsafe options off the boot menu. All initial boots for all three of these choices places me at the console prompt. Slim crashes if I try startx.

I can use the console and look around the file system. All my files are there where they are supposed to be. But I can’t get a GUI yet.

Can I accept this as a “backup” of my system? I could install using the console and then fix the graphics and GUI after install?

seaken64

The answer is “yes”. This is a good backup. The LiveUSB does not boot with grub and the kernel module for nvidia so there was no graphics driver loaded by default. But I did have the nvidia driver installed so all I had to do was add a boot line to load the nvidia driver. I added the boot code “xorg=nvidia” on the boot menu screen and booted. That worked. I now get to the GUI desktop.

I wanted to make a snapshot on my last install but my hard drive crashed before I got to it. Now I have a good snapshot backup ready if it happens again.

seaken64

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.