[Solved] antiX Install Issues

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX [Solved] antiX Install Issues

• This topic has 14 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Jan 6-9:25 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    bobbiecb

First — thanks for this great distro. Lots of fun, and very useful for learning (I love the way it offers multiple Window Managers). I’m looking forward to spending lots more time using it.

Just in case these have not been mentioned before, I ran into two issues during install —

1. When booting from USB memory stick, I received the message “gfxboot.c32 not a COM32R image”
    Solution was simple but non-obvious –> hit the Tab key and select “Live” from the list of options that then appear

2. Grub4Dos did not find antiX files
    Solution –> antiX uses the new features of the ext4 filesystem which some bootloaders don’t support. Just pre-format the antiX partition to ext3 and install into that, instead of using ext4.

Cheers and thanks again!

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Is 2 a Grub4Dos issue?
    I ask as installing grub2 does not have an issue with ext4.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

grub4dos is more like grub legacy. A lot easier to edit multiboot installs like I used to play with. I did not know ext4 was a issue for grub4dos. Thanks for the knowledge.
    Back when I was a avid grub4dos user. I only rolled with ext3 and ext2 file systems then. I did not adopt ext4 till I quit multi-boot experimentation and just rolled with with grub2 and single installs. I tried VM. But it felt like sex with a condom. Not the real thing for me. I’d rather run a usb with persistence than a VM.

I am strange that way. Plus my hardware back when I tried VM was skimpy to say the least.

Edit: Durn it. Early in the morning here and I am not fully awake yet. Where are my manners?

Howdy and Welcome from the local scooter tramp. Hope to see ya around more.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

bobbiecb
    Helpful
    Up

Is 2 a Grub4Dos issue?

Here’s what I learned…
    It appears that ext4 has certain advanced features that many products do not yet support. Apparently antiX uses one of these new ext4 features.

I found that neither Grub4Dos or Grub Legacy will read the ext4 filesystems supported by distros that use the new feature. (I didn’t test with Grub 2 so I don’t know the story there.)

When those two Grubs failed, I immediately tried to verify the filesystem with es2fsck — only to find it didn’t work either. It was in locating and applying the latest upgrade to e2fsck that I came to understand the problem. After the upgrade to e2fsck the filesystem checked out fine.

The new feature is called “metadata_csum” and is described perfectly in this thread — http://dev1galaxy.org/viewtopic.php?id=771
    That thread shows the exact error message I received from es2fsck on the antiX partition before I upgraded my e2fsck.

For me, the easiest solution was a work-around. Avoid the issue by installing antiX into a non-ext4 partition (like ext3). Then you can use any version of Grub you want, no problem.

Thanks for your feedback. I’m having lots of fun with antiX! It flies on my old AMD 3800+ box. Very cool.

pascalmania
    Helpful
    Up

Actually I’m having a problem with flatpak. I installed flatpak from synaptic, I downloaded vlc player through their website, but software installer giving me error and I can not install. I am very new in Linux world, am I missing something?

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hi @pascalmania,

Welcome to antiX and the antiX Linux forum.

Please read the topics created by @PPC, they are excellent for all newcomers to Linux distributions and especially for newcomers to antiX.

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie

and

How-to install applications – 2020 version

and

Portuguese

If you use a Chromium or Google Chrome internet browser, you can use the built-in translator that facilitates the translation of the area in Portuguese into your language. That way you can take advantage of the other tutorials created by this antiX master and professor.

If you need help after reading, we will try to help you in the best possible way, be patient and don’t give up. You will find that in this community people are welcome, regardless of their level of knowledge and that the most experienced help newcomers.

I do not know how to write in English, I depend exclusively on internet translators to be able to communicate in this forum. I hope that the text translated from my language into the English language is sufficiently understandable.

When you start a topic or participate with a post, remember to check the option “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Olá @pascalmania,

Seja bem-vindo ao antiX e ao fórum do antiX Linux.

Por favor, leia os tópico criados pelo @PPC, são excelentes para todos os novatos em distribuições Linux e principalmente para os novatos no antiX.

Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie

e

How-to install applications – 2020 version

e

Portuguese

Se você utilizar um navegador de internet Chromium ou Google Chrome, poderá utilizar o tradutor embutido que facilita a tradução da área em idioma Português para o seu idioma. Dessa forma você poderá aproveitar os outros tutoriais criados por este mestre e professor do antiX.

Se precisar de ajuda após as leituras, tentaremos te ajudar da melhor forma possível, tenha paciência e não desista. Você perceberá que nesta comunidade as pessoas são bem-vindas, independentemente do nível de conhecimento e que os mais experientes ajudam os novatos.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês, eu dependo exclusivamente dos tradutores da internet para poder me comunicar neste fórum. Eu espero que o texto traduzido do meu idioma para o idioma Inglês esteja suficientemente compreensível.

Quando você inciar algum tópico ou participar com alguma postagem, lembre-se de marcar a opção “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

pascalmania
    Helpful
    Up

Marcelocripe, I did excatly the same but it says failed to install file : not supported, when I try to add flatpak repo with this code “flatpak remote-add –if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo” it says

Note that the directories

‘/var/lib/flatpak/exports/share’
    ‘/home/dmr/.local/share/flatpak/exports/share’

are not in the search path set by the XDG_DATA_DIRS environment variable, so
    applications installed by Flatpak may not appear on your desktop until the
    session is restarted.

I don’t know what to do =(

Attachments:
    ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Hallo pascalmania,
    you can install recent inkscape and VLC using the packet installer from the systems menu.
    Easier than using flatpack and take, in most cases less space..

caprea
    Helpful
    Up

Hi pascalmania, why don’t you install vlc or inkscape through synaptic, too or with package-installer ?

pascalmania
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for the answers, I saw that the latest version of inkscape is 1.0.1, but when I install it from synaptic it is the 0.92.4.3 version which is old dated. Thats why I’m trying to install it from flatpaks.

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Pascalmania,

An important detail, you have not followed the recommendations contained in the texts that are displayed during the installation process. In one of them is “If you ask for help, please remember to describe your problem and your computer in some detail.”

It is important that you describe your problem and your computer in detail. And mainly, what is the version of antiX that you installed. Remember that there are several versions of antiX. Without this information it is impossible for anyone here on the forum to be able to help you.

If you are using a 64-bit version of antiX and do not want to install the programs, I recommend using AppImage, item “4- Use Appimages:” do PPC tutorial. It is very similar to the portable programs used in Windows.

Unfortunately I have no experience with flatpak, I prefer AppImage, too bad they don’t exist for 32 bits.

I hope the suggestions from the Moderators and mine can help you choose what is best and easiest for you.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese)

———-

Pascalmania,

Um detalhe importante, você não seguiu as recomendações contidas nos textos que são exibidos durante o processo de instalação. Em um deles é o “If you ask for help, please remember to describe your problem and your computer in some detail.”.

É importante você descrever o seu problema e o seu computador com detalhes. E principalmente, qual é a versão do antiX que você instalou. Lembre-se que existem várias versões do antiX. Sem estas informações é impossível para qualquer pessoa daqui do fórum poder te ajudar.

Se você estiver utilizando uma versão do antiX 64 bits e não quiser instalar os programas, eu recomendo utilizar AppImage, item “4- Use Appimages:” do tutorial do PPC. É muito semelhante aos programas portáteis utilizados no Windows.

Infelizmente eu não possuo experiência com flatpak, eu prefiro AppImage, pena que não existem para 32 bits.

Eu espero que as sugestões dos Moderadores e as minhas possam te ajudar a escolher o que é melhor e mais fácil para você.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

pepitofer
    Helpful
    Up

Welcome to antiX, pascalmania!

A new user here too.

It is better to leave this thread as presentation an open a new one in a more suitable room, for example in “Software” with a descriptive title that will help users who are using that application to give you some advice.

Good luck and happy new year!

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

If you want the latest version of inkscape (1.0.1)

sudo apt install -t buster-backports inkscape

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

This thread has some replies that were originally put in a “greeting”, “hello” thread and were moved here because they were ‘off topic’.

Please continue those discussions either here, in a Tips and Tricks topic, or in a specific problem thread.

Problems are difficult to track in “off topic” conversations. Thanks!

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

“Hi everyone” thread is closed.

If you want me to copy any content here or to another thread, respond here or message me.

Let’s try not to clutter hello, greeting and other topics with problems or technology discussions that take them off topic and make finding problems and fixes more difficult. Thanks!

Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.