[solved] Sound card and driver

Forum Forums General Hardware [solved] Sound card and driver

• This topic has 33 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated May 17-9:53 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    banned
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

@Robin

Without really having tested other alsa functions, I’m a little afraid that we’re dealing with the “Bill Gates and Steve Jobs” problem. So the problem that sometimes there are people who have no idea but think they can easily solve everything that others have achieved in decades of work ;-). We know the result and we are still under it! Ok, Linux has improved the situation a bit, but you have to be careful that Linux does not become a “hacker product” at some point. When I look at what the alsa people call themselves on their website, I have my fears ;-). And I don’t mean the names, but the functions!

https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Alsa_Team

I would be glad there would be functional like sound engineer or physicist and not “general hacker” πŸ™‚

To your question about the 1dB steps:
    The problem is not the step size of 1dB, but that this step size remains the same. However, this does not represent a logarithmic function and leads to a completely unusable scale. The scale is then distorted and the user does not understand what is happening (maybe the programmer does not either). You can only see that it doesn’t really work from the fact that 99, 98 and 97 are simply skipped during the first 1dB reduction. This happens of course because 1dB is a huge reduction for the upper range. If it were 1dB per step, then at 90 we would have already reached half the loudness (-10dB)! With alsa’s “method” we achieve half loudness (-10dB) with Master 66. That is a little less bad than with 90, but still wrong and useless. Therefore, the correct dB reduction for each master setting must be calculated using the formula above. And it’s a very simple and short formula. I was wondering how the rest of alsa works when even a simple volume control is not correct! Should I test OSS anyway? πŸ™‚

To the correct volume scale:
    The formulas for loudness must be used, as these represent the perception of the human ear.

IF Master = 0 THEN mute volume
    ELSE
    dB-reduction = 10 x log2 (master / 100)
    ENDIF

The fact that Master = 0 has to be dealt with in a special way is due to the fact that 0 is not really a number, but just a trick to mathematically map “nothing”. lo2 (0) would result in “infinite”, because in order to reach the zero point with reduction on a dB scale, this would have to be infinitely large :-). The rest of 0 and what it is, or “is not”, can be found in philosophers and their books or in the Bible. Some have understood it, Shakespeare for example (to be or not to be, that is the question), others not, for example Sartre and his “Being and Nothingness: An Essay on Phenomenological Ontology”, a hopeless stupidity! The Bible said it very nicely, for example in the prologue of the Gospel of John:

[1] In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. [2] The same was in the beginning with God. [3] All things were made by him: and without him was made nothing that was made. [4] In him was life, and the life was the light of men. [5] And the light shine in darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it.

[9] That was the true light, which enlighteneth every man that comes into this world. [10] He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

Distance and other constraints can be neglected, as it is basically a matter of regulating the volume of computer speakers or headphones. And the user is sitting right in front of the computer. You don’t know other environmental conditions anyway, because you don’t know what situation the user is in (noise influence, hearing damage, drunkenness, etc.). So you can’t treat such influences either.

Documentation is always a problem in computer science. This is because most computer scientists, especially programmers or system operators, do not necessarily have very communicative personalities. I know this very well, because I worked as an IT engineer for 15 years, in project management. So I was the “translator” between the user and the technician. Not always easy, as you can see in this post. Ignorance is widespread, and not just in computer science.

I also wonder why the alsa project came about when a good solution already exists with OSS. But this question may lead back to the beginning of my post, I’m afraid.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by banned.
    skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

To the forum administration: [..] send the information to the alsa people?

To the “suitably motivated user”: send the information to the alsa people

The prospect of waiting for “the forum administration” to do this reminds me of

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A.I._Artificial_Intelligence

David and Teddy take control of the aircraft to see the Fairy, which turns out to be a statue from an attraction on Coney Island. The two become trapped when the Wonder Wheel falls on their vehicle. Believing the Blue Fairy to be real, David asks the statue to turn him into a real boy, and repeats this request until his internal power source is depleted.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

…The words! Tell me the words!

She continues: β€œTo dream the impossible dream. To fight the unbeatable foe. To bear with unbearable sorrow. To run where the brave dare not go.”

His voice growing stronger he says, β€œTo right the un-rightable wrong. To love pure and chase from afar. To try when your arms are too weary. To reach the unreachable star.”

…the old man may be dead but Don Quixote de La Mancha lives on.”…

Excerpts from β€œMan of La Mancha,”

Brian Masinick

Viewing 3 posts - 31 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.