Sound in Web-Browsers without Pulseaudio

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Sound in Web-Browsers without Pulseaudio

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Koo Aug 8-7:16 pm.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Xaver
    Xaver

Pulseaudio is related to systemd and does not reach the sound quality of ALSA. Therefore I have banned it from my system. But then I have noticed, that there was sound in any browser. Videos were only playing as silent movies.
    The solution is very simple: Install apulse and start your browser with the ‘apulse’ command ahead. It works well with Firefox-ESR, Flashpeak Slimjet and Falkon (= Qupzilla).

I.e. edit xy-browser.desktop in /usr/share/applications/ :
    Exec=apulse /usr/lib/firefox-esr/firefox-esr %u
    Exec=apulse falkon %u
    Exec=apulse /usr/bin/flashpeak-slimjet %U

On my system it works with these audio packages:
    alsa-utils alsamixer-equalizer-antix alsamixergui volumeicon-alsa-legacy libsox-fmt-alsa libasound2-plugin-equal libasound2-plugins libasound2 libasound2:i386

p.s.: Sound Quality:
    Try alsaplayer-gtk, if you are looking for better sound. This audio player is low on features, but it has a much clearer sound than Audacious or mpv. I went through all the audio settings of Audacious but could not get near to the clearity of Alsaplayer. I have no idea, why this is the case.

• This topic was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Xaver.
    Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    anticapitalista

moc and xmms also have better sound (IMO) than Audacious.
    On my box, mpv sound is good.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

Xaver
    Xaver

On my system Audacious with best settings and mpv sound about the same. I thought the sound was good until I have tried Alsaplayer. Now their sound feels dirty somehow.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Xaver.
    wildstar84
    wildstar84

If you love the choice of settings / filters and sound quality of Audacious while playing videos and DVDs, feel free to try this wonderfully-enhanced Audacious fork:

Fauxdacious Media Player (Fork of Audacious)

Jim

736b69646f6f

“Pulseaudio is related to systemd and does not reach the sound quality of ALSA.”

pulseaudio doesn’t depend on systemd. What means “related”? Shoes are related to socks. If you ban shoes because your socks are stinky, you are “”solving”” the wrong problem.

pulseaudio is a SERVER application, handles routing of streams provided by alsa or OSS backend. A claim that pulseaudio is responsible for degraded (or improved) sound quality is a claim based on ignorance. For your enlightenment, here is a link to one of many available “”quantitative analysis”” references http://archimago.blogspot.com/2015/10/measurements-look-at-linux-audio-alsa.html

Xaver
    Xaver

@ 736b69646f6f
    It is kind of funny, that you compare ALSA and Pulseaudio with a shoe and a stinking sock. But which one is the stinking sock?

Thank you for the interesting link. In paragraph ‘conclusions’ it confirms a decline in sound quality:
    “Ubuntu uses PulseAudio as the resampling and mixing layer (I believe JACK is another option on top of ALSA). Just like in Windows, when you’re using the default Windows mixer output, we’re not looking at “bitperfect” output any more. As such, audiophiles would consider this a “compromise” rather than the ideal.”

So Pulseaudio defenitely does not improve the sound. For good sound quality it is needless. Technically that is unnecassary, that browsers need pulseaudio and do not work with plain ALSA anymore. Apulse, a tiny program of 147 kB can fix that. Concerning the annoyance of no ALSA sound in web browsers pulseaudio solves a problem, which would not exist without pulseaudio.

Systemd, and Pulseaudio share the same parents: Lennart Poettering and Red Hat. They are kinfolk. They are spread on Linux with a similar overbearing attitude to limit choices and to make them unavoidable.

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Xaver.

736b69646f6f

is needless, is non ideal, is related in kinfolk. Ok, we agree on these these points

Koo

I use mpc & ncmpcpp as the player running as a local host with a link to my music folder which is on a separate drive. Love it too bits

pulse needs alsa no alsa no pulse..

you can find lots of dots for ncmpcpp here.

http://dotshare.it

Dont know why I can’t add a web page link here. ?

• This reply was modified 1 week ago by Koo.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.