Sound not working [solved]

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Sound not working [solved]

• This topic has 29 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Apr 26-2:30 pm by ohh.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi. I just installed antiX-17 tonight. I’m liking it quite a bit. I have one problem. The sound does not work. I hope somebody can help me with this. I pasted info below on my soundcard that I pulled using the inxi -f command in Peppermint OS. My sound has worked out the box on all Ubuntu based distros I’ve installed. I currently have Q4OS (Debian 9 based distro) installed and the sound is working perfectly. Thanks in advance for the help.

Audio: Card Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
      Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture v: k4.4.0-22-generic

• This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by anticapitalista. Reason: added solved
      ohh

Right click on the speaker icon on the taskbar and open mixer,
        and check the status of speaker, master etc, and turn auto-mute to disabled
        or go to control-center click on hardware, you will see the options there to set
        the default card, test sound and adjust mixer

cheers,
        ohh

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by ohh. Reason: add info

Every matter requires prior knowledge.

- Du Mu
        The Art of War

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick response ohh. I don’t see the auto-mute option.

ohh

btw, if you take a look at the Help menu and navigate to antiX–>antiX FAQ there is detailed info
            on almost every option in antiX.

cheers,
            ohh

Every matter requires prior knowledge.

- Du Mu
            The Art of War

Anonymous

I found the shift+M toggle for mute. The sound is not muted. The Alsa Mixer shows my card is HDA Intel PCH and chip is Realtek ALC255.

caprea

Hi SleepyD,
                from your antiX installation can you please post the output of
                cat /proc/asound/cards

and
                aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav

Also an inxi -Fxz would be nice, so we know what hardware you are using.

Anonymous

Hi caprea. I would’ve posted a response sooner but the forum was down. I’m glad it’s back up. I wonder what that was about. I’ve posted the outputs you requested below. Thanks for the help.

$ cat /proc/asound/cards
                  0 [PCH
                  ]: HDA-Intel – HDA Intel PCH
                  HDA Intel PCH at 0xdf140000 irq 129

$ aplay /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav
                  Playing WAVE ‘/usr/share/sounds/alsa/Front_Center.wav’ : Signed 16 bit Little
                  Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Mono

$ inxi -Fxz
                  System:
                  Host: antix1 Kernel: 4.9.87-antix.1-amd64-smp x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v:

Desktop: IceWM 1.4.2 Distro: antiX-17.1_x64-full Heather Heyer 17 March 2018

Machine:
                  Type: Desktop Mobo: GIGABYTE model: MKLP3AP-00 v: 1.x serial: N/A
                  UEFI: American Megatrends v: F3 date: 10/20/2015

CPU:
                  Topology: Dual Core model: Intel Core i3-6100U type: MT MCP arch: Skylake

rev: 3
                  L2 cache: 3072 KiB
                  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 18436
                  Speed: 699 MHz min/max: 400/2300 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 769 2: 525 3:
                  960 4: 830

Graphics:
                  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 520 driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
                  Display Server: X.Org 1.19.6 driver: modesetting unloaded: fbdev,vesa
                  resolution: 1920×1080~60Hz
                  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel HD Graphics 520 (Skylake GT2) v: 4.5 Mesa
                  direct render: Yes

Audio:
                  Card-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
                  bus ID: 00:1f.3
                  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.9.87-antix.1-amd64-smp

Network:
                  Card-1: Intel Ethernet Connection I219-V driver: e1000e v: 3.2.6-k port: N/A
                  bus ID: 00:1f.6
                  IF: eth0 state: down mac: <flter>
                  Card-2: Intel Wireless 3165 driver: iwlwif v: kernel bus ID: 01:00.0
                  IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <flter>

Drives:
                  HDD Total Size: 465.76 GiB used: 5.09 GiB (1.1%)
                  ID-1: /dev/sda model: HGST_HTS725050A7 size: 465.76 GiB

Partition:
                  ID-1: / size: 37.30 GiB used: 4.98 GiB (13.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda8
                  ID-2: swap-1 size: 3.82 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sda2

Sensors:System Temperatures: cpu: 38.0 C mobo: 29.8 C
                  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A

Info:
                  Processes: 177 Uptime: 32m Memory: 7.75 GiB used: 936.7 MiB (11.8%) Init:

SysVinit
                  runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 inxi: 3.0.00

Forum Admin
                  anticapitalista

SysVinit
                    runlevel: 5 Compilers: gcc: 7.3.0 Shell: bash v: 4.4.19 inxi: 3.0.00

The bold bits looks weird. Where does that come from?
                    Have you installed anything from debian testing or sid repos? Or worse, ppas?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by anticapitalista.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

caprea

If alsa has both, recognized a card and the play command works, most of the mixer is slightly misaligned.
                      We could maybe look if theres something helpful in dmesg.
                      dmesg | grep snd_hda
                      But sure more interesting from where you got bash 4.4.19.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by caprea.
                      Anonymous

I setup the system for Testing when I installed it. The system had a bunch of updates when it first booted up. No PPAs. I typed in the command caprea and nothing happened.

caprea

Did the sound work on the live-session ?

There was one member also with a skylake-box, who ended up in a reinstall
                          https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/no-sound-on-dell-xps-15-7559/

Maybe the easiest way.
                          You could also try to update to a newer antix-kernel.
                          Or maybe someone else has a good idea.

Anonymous

caprea, the sound does not work in the live-session. I thought I checked that. I’m pretty certain I’ve had some different distros on my PC that have used kernel 4.9 and the sound worked. I recently installed the lastest Raspian for PCs on here and the sound did not work for that. I don’t recall which kernel it used. I did not see an easy way to upgrade the kernel in antiX. Did I miss something? Thanks again everybody for the help.

caprea

To install a kernel is quite easy.You can do it with the package-installer from control-centre.
                              Maybe try the newest there,think it should be 4.15.9 or 4.15.14.
                              Do a
                              sudo update-grub

afterwards,then reboot.
                              If the new kernel doesn’t work for you,you can easily switch back to the old one by choosing the advanced options in grub-menu.
                              Should a new kernel not help with your sound problems we can try some other things.

Anonymous

caprea, unfortunately that did not work. I installed the 4.15.9 kernel. I verified with the uname -a command in terminal. The package-installer is pretty sweet. I had used it before you mentioned it but didn’t notice that there was a section for kernels. I don’t understand why this is not working. I will boot into Q4OS 2.4 and see if I can see anything that is different. It is Debian based and worked without any problems. I will have to look at that tomorrow night after work. Thanks again.

fatmac

Are any modules showing if you run

lsmod | grep snd

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by fatmac.

Linux (& BSD) since 1999
                                  Ultra Small Form Factor & thin client computers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.