Sound too quiet

Forum Forums General Software Sound too quiet

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 15 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Jun 11-9:07 am by picamanic.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    picamanic

I don’t know if anyone here can help: I am trying to listen to music from sites like soundcloud.com and youtube.con, and it is very quiet on AntiX compared to Void. In each case, I am using Firefox [which uses pulseaudio]. Even with an external USB-powered soundbar, Void is only just “OK” in a quiet room. Is there a reason AntiX would be quieter than Void? Is there a way to improve this? Thanks.

sybok

Search the forum for sound issues.
        1) You can run ‘alsamixer’ in terminal and increase the value of master and pre-amp (the latter may lead to some distortions), if available.
        2) Manage via ‘pulseaudio’.

Potential reason(s) for antiX to be quiter:
        A) Default setting of sound-mixer.
        B) Drivers – you can compare drivers in both systems.

picamanic

Thanks @sybok: alsamixer worked.

sybok

Glad to read that.
            Beware that it will reset at reboot (or perhaps even logout).
            There must be a way to store the manually updated|increased setting of ‘alxamixer’ but I do not have a clue; search the internet.

picamanic

Thanks @sybok: I found the “alsactl [re]store” commands, and will explore.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by picamanic.
              marcelocripe

Hi picamanic.

I am using Firefox [which uses pulseaudio].

You don’t need PulseAudio to have sound in Firefox when you are using antiX. Consider reading these explanations by RJP in the topic How to fix no sound after using pulseaudio and get more information about PulseAudio from PPC’s conversation with Robin, understand that there is context in the conversation between PPC and Robin, in that topic where the creator of antiX asked for suggestions and opinions from antiX community for the release of antiX 23. If you don’t get sound on your computer, try using ALSA only first, if all attempts are unsuccessful, try the topic Pipewire to manage audio in antiX 21. In the tests I did with PulseAudio, it always solved one problem and created other problems that were much worse, such as excessive antiX slowdown, sound and microphone distortion, etc. PulseAudio is the last option when an audio card does not produce sound.

– – – – –

Olá picamanic.

I am using Firefox [which uses pulseaudio].

Você não precisa do PulseAudio para ter som no Firefox quando você estiver utilizando o antiX. Considere ler estas explicações do RJP no tópico How to fix no sound after using pulseaudio e obtenha mais informações sobre o PulseAudio a partir da conversa do PPC com o Robin, compreenda que existe um contexto na conversa entre o PPC e o Robin, naquele tópico onde o criador do antiX pedia as sugestões e opiniões da comunidade do antiX para o lançamento do antiX 23. Se você não obtém som no seu computador, tente primeiro utilizar apenas com o ALSA, se todas as tentativas não forem bem sucedidas, tente o tópico Pipewire to manage audio in antiX 21. Nos testes que eu fiz com o PulseAudio, ele sempre resolvia um problema e criava outros problemas muito piores, como a lentidão excessiva do antiX, a distorção no som e do microfone, etc. O PulseAudio é a última opção quando uma placa de áudio não emite som.

picamanic

Hi @marcelocripe, I find using pulseaudio distasteful, but it gets started when Firefox is first run and killall will not kill it; I can’t see what starts it. The only recourse would be to remove the pulseaudio package with apt [drastic]. I was going to explore apulse as an alternative to pulseaudio, but baby steps.

As an aside, I tried “surf” browser, and was horrified to see lots of adverts! Clearly, firefox+ublockorigin has been hiding them from me over the last decade: I am not used to seeing adverts on my screen, and I certainly don’t want to hear them.

sybok

@picamanic:
                    I know it was possible to start firefox as follows ‘apulse firefox [other parameters]’, apulse you mentioned.
                    You can define alias or redefine your keyboard shortcut, if any, etc.
                    That should trick firefox into thinking it runs with PA but emulated|faked using ‘apulse’.
                    See the man page for apulse (‘man apulse’).

Is your firefox the system’s ESR version or did you install|acquire it another way?

picamanic

@sybok: it seems to be firefox 111.0.1, which is non-esr; firefox-esr is stuck on 102.12.0. The binary is in /opt/firefox/firefox, so I can alias/run it from there. Not sure if that will work.

edit: of course it crashed, and because the “helpful” crash report didn’t survive my firewall, it hung until killall crashreporter. Time to sleep..

• This reply was modified 1 year, 1 month ago by picamanic.
                      blur13

“Beware that it will reset at reboot (or perhaps even logout).
                        There must be a way to store the manually updated|increased setting of ‘alxamixer’ but I do not have a clue; search the internet.”

Never encountered this problem before. My changes via alsamixer have always been persistent across reboots and logouts.

seriousness

Firefox ESR is not “stuck on” 102.12, this is the current version, released on 2023-06-06.

sybok

The two firefox update paths (normal and ESR) seem to be often not completely understood.
                            See e.g.
                            http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/choosing-firefox-update-channel
                            http://itigic.com/differences-between-firefox-and-firefox-esr/ (this is slightly outdated).

Some institutions (such as several banks) add to this requesting the newer version ignoring that ESR is a valid supported/updated release.

@blur13:
                            Hm, perhaps it changed along the way but I recall I had to increase the master volume in alsamixer after a reboot|shutdown on my older antiX installation (upgraded to antiX-22).

seriousness

Hello picamanic,

do you have pavucontrol installed? This is the common tool to control pulseaudio.

picamanic

Only when I removed the pulseaudio package, and tried “apulse firefox” did I get PA-free sound! If there are no unseen issues with Apulse, I hope it will replace PA in future Antix releases. For now, happy.

seriousness

You cannot kill pulseaudio, if you do, it is restarted immediately.

Where did you get it from? In antiX it is not installed by default.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.