Specific weather discussions

Forum Forums Kafeneio Chats In a Greek kafeneio Specific weather discussions

• This topic has 1,251 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated Jul 22-9:07 am by rokytnji.
Viewing 15 posts - 1,126 through 1,140 (of 1,252 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

We’re warmer too, but nowhere near as warm as you!

https://www.wunderground.com/weather/us/sc/greenville/KSCGREEN289
      Elev 981 ft, 34.91 °N, 82.44 °W 
      Greenville, SC Weather Conditions
      91 °F, LIKE 92° F MOUNTAIN SHADOWS STATION
      TOMORROW TUE 06/25 HIGH 95 °F 0% Precip. / 0.00 in
      A mainly sunny sky. High around 95 °F. Winds ENE at 5 to 10 mph.

--
      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

82° F @9:47 PM.

--
        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
          Elev 997 ft, 34.88 °N, 82.42 °W
          77 °F Mountain Shadows Station
          7:44 AM EDT on June 25, 2024 (GMT -4)
          Today's temperature is forecast to be NEARLY THE SAME as yesterday.
          Today Tue 06/25 High 95 °F
          0% Precip. / 0.00 in
          Sunny. Hot. High around 95 °F. Winds ENE at 10 to 15 mph.
          Tonight Tue 06/25 Low 71 °F
          4% Precip. / 0.00 in
          Clear skies. Low 71 °F. Winds light and variable.
          Tomorrow Wed 06/26 High 98 °F | 73 °F
          15% Precip. / 0.00 in
          Sunshine and some clouds. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High 98 °F. Winds WSW at 5 to 10 mph.

Regional Forecast:
          https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=34.95&lon=-82.45&unit=0&lg=english&FcstType=text&TextType=1
          NWS Forecast for: Travelers Rest SC
          Issued by: National Weather Service Greenville-Spartanburg, SC
          Last Update: 6:23 am EDT Jun 25, 2024

Today: Sunny, with a high near 94. North wind 3 to 8 mph.

Tonight: Mostly clear, with a low around 71. Calm wind.

Wednesday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 96. Calm wind becoming southwest 5 to 7 mph in the afternoon.

Wednesday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 1am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 72. Southwest wind around 6 mph becoming calm in the evening.

Thursday: A slight chance of showers, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 93. Light and variable wind becoming west around 5 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Thursday Night: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms, mainly before 9pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 72.

Friday: A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 3pm. Mostly sunny, with a high near 91.

Friday Night: A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 73.

Saturday: A chance of showers between 1pm and 2pm, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 2pm. Partly sunny, with a high near 91. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Saturday Night: A chance of thunderstorms before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 75. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Sunday: Showers and thunderstorms likely. Mostly sunny, with a high near 94. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday Night: A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 73.

Monday: A 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Mostly sunny, with a high near 91.

--
          Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
          rokytnji

Gonna be 108F today.
            Tue
            Sunny
            108°
            78°

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
            I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.
            Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
            How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

sybok

FUNNY-ISH PRELUDE:
              92 degF = 33.3 degC.
              Holy sweaty shirt! (Did anyone watch Batman the 1960’s TV series with A. West, B. Ward and many guest stars incl. B. Meredith [who also starred in several great episodes of the original “The Twilight Zone”]?)
              This means that everyone is hot. [Pun intended.] What a lovely place it must be.

AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT:
              I guess that most of you in these heat-affected zones have air-conditioning.
              Reminds me of a recent blackout in Albania and some neighboring countries most likely caused due to heat and heightened use of electricity, also due to air-conditioning.

Brian Masinick

@sybok When I was young, I had no intention of ever living in a southern climate. I even attended a university, Michigan Technological University where, at least when I attended there, SNOW was physically on the ground from November until mid April, and often we had snowfall or hints of snow in mid October. In the deep woods after heavy snow accumulations, there were reports of a few patches of snow melting (on RARE occasions) as late as July, and there were one or two occasions in northern Michigan history of a super cold front off Lake Superior in July that actually brought snowflakes, though that did NOT result in accumulation, nor was it normal.

We did NOT have very many air conditioned areas when I was growing up, though southerners probably purchased more of them because some forms of air conditioning were available.

When I entered the workforce I DID find air conditioning there, so when I got my own place I made sure there was air conditioning. NONE of my homes in younger years had built-in air conditioning; that is now common even in many northern climates because it DOES get warm, even hot, for a month to three months there too.

Where I live now there is air conditioning virtually everywhere, and it’s a good thing. I will say that the times I’ve returned to Michigan though in the Summer, the humidity there is actually HEAVIER because of the great number of lakes and other bodies of water; I compare their Summer humidity to a soaking wet blanket or sleeping bag around your body, as opposed to where we live, where it’s more like a hot sauna; BOTH are humid; both can be unpleasant, but unless you are near a lake and can jump in the water, the northern areas around the Great Lakes in Michigan aren’t as appealing to me as an older person as they were when I was young.

--
                Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

It’s not even 9:30 AM here yet and we’ve reached 80 °F already; not getting up to 108 °F, but 95 °F in June is warm enough!
                  I did go out on our screened in porch to water a basil plant a little while ago and at that time when it was in the upper seventies it was pleasant.

--
                  Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                  rokytnji

My place is old medical center so I have 3 phase transformers on poles.
                    House stays cold.
                    Shop is brutal. Even with shop fans. No a/c in shop.
                    I have lulus wading pool in the shade.
                    At least she has tons of shade around the shop.

I hate the cold. Easier to survive in the desert.
                    Wife was raised on the southern coast. She hates the cold also.

Our summers are like some folks winters. I get by doing night shift in the cooler part of a 24 period.
                    Feels warmer than 79F last night. Metal shop soaks up the days heat.

Brian Masinick

When I was young, I’d rather have the four seasons, including winter snow, spring plants rising, summer water fun, and fall colors.
                      I still appreciate *some* diversity, but COLD doesn’t feel good on my aging body, so as much as I loved the beauty of the northern woods, it’s a place of good memories, not a place I care to return to. I’d rather have A/C to cool down as needed and heat to warm up when it’s chilly.

TWO winters ago we had single digit temperatures with a daytime high of SEVEN degrees Fahrenheit and a low close to zero; that’ like northern weather; ironically enough we didn’t get ANY snowfall that season, nor have we had any since. The first 3-4 years we were here we’d have either one or two snow days and the last winter we did have snow it was a significant one, the greatest snowfall since we’d moved here in 2018, but we have not had ANY snowfall since. It’ll be interesting to see what happens this winter; meanwhile this summer season has all the markings for record high temperatures at least for us.

BTW, @rokytnji, the area we visited last October in Arizona is having weather in excess of 110 degrees most days; I checked a few of your warmest days and they were AT LEAST 4-5 degrees warmer each time. Talking to my wife about it; we had CONSIDERED retiring in Arizona, but had we done so, I think we would have had to use TWO locations – anyone in Arizona with MONEY is known as a “snowbird”; that is, they visit Arizona when it’s snowing in the northern states, and when you can fry an egg on the ground they are long gone.

--
                      Brian Masinick

sybok

@masinick:
                        I am slowly getting towards the later stage of my prime condition (if not already out by some opinions) and the temperature extremes become harder to tolerate as well.
                        I can see the shift in when I start to wear underpants in winter (and when my mother in her early seventies does).
                        Personally, I find air-conditioning both a blessing (reduces the temperature to a more bearable) and a curse (some related health issues strengthened by recently developed multiple allergies :( ).

Regarding it is getting hotter:
                        My brother told me that it is odd that in our country, there is a tendency to add heat-isolation to houses (to save during the winter time because of higher energy prices in Europe) which makes them even hotter and harder to cool down during summer.
                        As a result, in order to save power-consumption due to heating in winter, you may (develop a) need air-conditioning in summer; which can be made less economically demanding if you install solar panels to generate electricity during summer.
                        The downside is that this puts a strain on the public electricity network when the generated surplus is sent there.

Life can sometimes be complicated as each remedy for an issue may bring undesirable side effects that should be dealt with.
                        Sometimes, there seem to be no easy answers…

How do you reduce CO2 emissions, fuel consumption and waste while preserving quality of life/work/product?
                        It helps to use a ligthweight OSes such as antiX. :)
                        Design web pages without clutter of animations that eat up CPU+RAM resources.
                        Smartphones should have easily replaceable batteries, longer OS-upgrade guarantee (without mess-ups to slow older phones down), probably making the devices larger and more robust.

But I can imagine that no one would want to work in public services to tend to public greenery when forced to do it with a scythe instead of modern electricity/fuel powered tools (though scythe’s composition [wood+metal], production, maintenance and propulsion – human – makes it the least ecological burden IMHO; the saved money could be used to pay increase to compensate for the additional manual labor).

But that’s getting more philosophical and (slightly) off topic moving from “specific weather discussion” to “(indirectly) related weather discussion”.

Brian Masinick

In the middle of this conversation, I absolutely LOVE this one:

“How do you reduce CO2 emissions, fuel consumption and waste while preserving quality of life/work/product?
                          It helps to use a ligthweight OSes such as antiX. 🙂”

Heaters, air conditioners, dehumidifiers, all of these consume energy.
                          Our senior community information service had an article just yesterday about more efficient, less resource
                          robbing energy producing – what better way than to get energy directly from the weather – the sun, the wind,
                          the water flow?

Solar panels have become less expensive, easier to place and the hot desert is a great place to put at least some of
                          them.

More on this and the current weather still to come!

--
                          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

The design of solar panels has improved too and here’s one more tidbit prior
                            to sharing today’s conditions and forecast:
                            Many countries are now putting improved solar panels in parts of the
                            Sahara Desert, where the potential energy is several times what it is
                            elsewhere.

While the technology is still only able to capture 20-25% of that
                            potential energy, it’s still a big positive step forward to reducing
                            things like carbon emissions and other problems.

--
                            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
                              Elev 997 ft, 34.88 °N, 82.42 °W
                              91 °F Mountain Shadows Station
                              11:35 AM EDT on June 26, 2024 (GMT -4)
                              Today's temperature is forecast to be NEARLY THE SAME as yesterday.
                              TODAY WED 06/26 HIGH 97 °F 1% Precip. / 0.00 in
                              Sunny. Hot. High 97 °F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
                              ADDITIONAL CONDITIONS
                              Pressure 29.88 in
                              Visibility 10 miles
                              Clouds Clear
                              Dew Point 67 °F
                              Humidity 47 %
                              Length of Visible Light15 h 28 m
                              Length of Day14 h 29 m
                              Tomorrow will be 0 minutes 17 seconds shorter
                              TONIGHT WED 06/26 LOW 73 °F 3% Precip. / 0.00 in
                              Partly cloudy skies. Low 73 °F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.
                              Clouds bringing somewhat cooler weather tomorrow:
                              TOMORROW THU 06/27 HIGH 89 °F | 73 °F 24% Precip. / 0.00 in
                              Considerable cloudiness. A stray shower or thunderstorm is possible. High 89F. Winds light and variable.

--
                              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Accuweather has a different forecast for the remainder of today:

99° F Hi, RealFeel® 104° F, RealFeel Shade™ 97° F
                                Very hot with the temperature approaching the record of 100 last reached in 1952 with periods of clouds and sunshine!

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/travelers-rest/29690/weather-today/340598

--
                                Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                                rokytnji

Was thunder and lightening this morning. Just spit the rain though. Not much.

`02:34:59 PM
                                  Weather in Pecos: 100 °F
                                  UVI: 12
                                  Wind: 10.36 mph E
                                  Humidity: 32%
                                  Pressure: 29.88 inHg
                                  Sunrise: Jun 26 05:51:19 AM
                                  Sunset: Jun 26 08:02:23 PM
                                  Pecos forecast: Wed Jun 26: 102/84 °F ☔
                                  Thu Jun 27: 101/83 °F ☔
                                  Fri Jun 28: 106/82 °F ☁
                                  Sat Jun 29: 99/82 °F ☀
                                  Sun Jun 30: 103/79 °F ☀

Viewing 15 posts - 1,126 through 1,140 (of 1,252 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.