Split: Discussing the correct use of terminology

Forum Forums Official Releases antiX-23 “Arditi del Popolo Split: Discussing the correct use of terminology

• This topic has 4 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Apr 13-11:52 pm by techore.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

@BitJam – great advice! Also thank you for further clarifying the correct use of the respin and the variant; this is also quite useful because several of the common terms we use are misused; I’m sure I have been guilty of inaccuracy in this regard many times, so I value the kind explanations and recommendations. Thanks again!

--
      Brian Masinick

techore

BTW, we run this line of code when we create an iso file:

@bitjam, if I had an hour to pick your brain.. 🙂 Thank you! I will add this to my build process.

Forum Admin
        BitJam

@bitjam, if I had an hour to pick your brain.. 🙂 Thank you! I will add this to my build process.

I’m not always available but I am now. Ask. Best to start a new thread.

@Brian Masinick. That is my understanding of the current usage. I may have originally argued for different meanings. Anyway, the key thing is separating out the two concepts.

Context is worth 80 IQ points -- Alan Kay

MasterPythoner

Since the new split discussion has been created , I summerize what @bitjam said earlier:

Terminology:
            Respin:
            When someone manually modifies MX or antiX Linux and then creates a snapshot.

Variant/Branch:
            When the build-iso tool is used to create a new Linux distribution “from scratch.” For example, MX Linux started as a variant of antiX Linux (which itself was originally a variant of Mepis).

Differences:
            If the same packages are removed and added, the resulting respin and variant are the same.

A variant is set up for independent development.
            A respin has to keep modifying the base distro for new releases.

Recommendations:
            Respins are easier to make.
            To create your own distro, use the build-iso tool (as AV Linux did).
            Even if going the build-iso route, it’s recommended to first do a respin.

correct me if I’m wrong

techore

@bitjam, spin and respin are synonymous, right?

I was part of the Red Hat eco-system for a very long time. For example, we referred to the different variations or flavors of Fedora as spins. No distinction was made between being supported or unsupported by Red Hat.

I prefer spin due to it only being four letters. 😀

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.