Split: Linux learning

Forum Forums New users Welcome to antiX Split: Linux learning

• This topic has 13 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Sep 8-1:17 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    tburrf00t

@brian I have read many posts from you on this forum. Your input is very informative and interesting.

@marcelocripe thanks for your warm welcome and super helpful links, I am still reading through them.

@madibi I understand your input but I have no intention of turning this forum into a political discussion place. I would delve more into the ideology than murder rates, that way you can form a healthier/scientific picture.

@Xunzi_23 thanks for your input, maybe it encourages you to look at things differently.

Now I have another question for everyone on this forum.
      I have no IT background and am actually very new to everything.
      Now I want to take the first step by really getting into Linux.

I have kept up with the site distrowatch and tried several linux distros. antiX suits me best is my conclusion.
      But how to proceed now?
      What can I do to increase my knowledge about linux and contribute to antiX?

Of course I will go through the previously shared links and other topics on this forum.
      In addition, I have found this website: http://linuxjourney.com/

Do you guys have any other tips?
      Ultimately, I would like to know everything about linux from a to z.

- free your mind -

Brian Masinick

@tburrf00t I was not previously aware of the site http://linuxjourney.com/ – it actually looks pretty good!

Here are a few sites I have from my Linux Questions account; I had them in my signature there –

The Linux Documentation Project
        The YoLinux Information Portal[/url]

I’m not sure that they are as good as your site, but at least it’s more information, should you decide to pursue it.

As far as getting more familiar, using things, and trying different things, then deciding what kind of participation
        and efforts you are interested in considering –

for instance, explaining your journey to other newcomers could be a good way to start, if you
        like to communicate with other people.

Learning how to write documentation – we always need improvement in our documentation, and if
        you happen to speak more than one language, that’s even more true.

We always need people to test our software, point out potential issues,
        let us know which features work particularly well and which features
        could use additional work.

People who know how to develop code OR write tools and scripts are VERY useful.

So are people who have good ideas; hope that gives you a list; you can suggest
        other potential ways – promoting antiX to other people is appreciated too!

--
        Brian Masinick

ile

hello tburrf00t
          xman -bothshown -notopbox -bg ivory

Xunzi_23

Hi tbf
            There are many E Books available for download in pdf format. Plus sign marks some which I found
            very helpful, Paul Cobbau site is highlighted.

Linux from scratch is a way two former colleagues of mine became very familiar with linux
            later with help from other free books and practice highly accomplished, one a guy called Heimo
            and about 50 years old self taught, programmed old industry robots to work better than some of
            the latest machines. Bosses hated him, they talked smart, he was never a craptalker, just a
            jovial genius.

All below may be legally downloaded at time of writing this post! and used for free, great service
            to mankind by the authors, and in a profit centered world very worthy of support.

The Linux Command Line
            Introduction to Linux
            Linux Fundamentals
            The Ultimate Linux Newbie Guide
            + Linux From Scratch + Linux books by Paul Cobbau of linux-training.be
            GNU/Linux Command−Line Tools Summary
            Bash Reference Manual from GNU
            + Bash Guide for Beginners
            Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide
            The AWK Programming Language
            The Debian Administration’s Handbook
            Advanced Linux System Administration

Bit OT, disroot.org might be of interest to you. I am very happy to use their email setup
            and a donor. They are not exactly mainstream :-). Got me using searx along side trusty
            metager for most of my internet searches too. philosophy of Disroot is a pretty good fit
            to antiX and to me.

I have also learned a lot during promoting usage of antiX for older machines and then supporting
            users as well as from others on this forum. It is a mine of information which is unfortunately
            often only found when using an external search engine.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Xunzi_23.
            • This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by Xunzi_23.
            tburrf00t

Hi @Xunzi_23, thank you very much for your message.
              You have shared very useful and interesting information.
              I’ll start right away with looking up and saving your book list, I’m also going through the disroot website.

In the meantime I have organized some sources of information for myself.

Useful websites:
              http://distrowatch.com
              http://linuxcommand.org
              http://linuxsurvival.com

Useful youtube channels:
              http://www.youtube.com/@runwiththedolphin
              http://www.youtube.com/@StaempunkTV
              http://www.youtube.com/@VeronicaExplains

Interesting articles:
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanenbaum%E2%80%93Torvalds_debate
              http://www.eff.org/cyberspace-independence
              http://www.explainingcomputers.com

I hope this has given some inspiration to other beginners.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by tburrf00t.

- free your mind -

marcelocripe

I’m always learning, normally I have a lot more doubts than certainties. But I tell you, this forum is an excellent source of learning. Start by reading the tutorials that PPC has created here, either in English or Portuguese language.

Then read http://www.gnu.org/ and watch the documentary http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUFqEKmIoY (Revolution OS ).

After you learn the difference between GNU and Linux, feel free to read and learn anything you want or are interested in learning.

If you are a native speaker of a language other than English, please consider becoming a volunteer translator. If you are a native English speaker, please consider becoming a proofreader for texts in English that have been produced by non-native English speakers. Know that when every text is poorly constructed, it becomes almost impossible to be understood by native speakers and is even more impossible to be understood by volunteer translators.

There are many ways for you to collaborate with this community, you just need to want to and start doing it.

– – – – –

Eu estou sempre aprendendo, normalmente, eu tenho muito mais dúvidas do que certezas. Mas eu te digo, este fórum é uma excelente fonte de aprendizado. Comece lendo os tutoriais que o PPC criou aqui, seja em idioma Inglês ou em idioma Português.

Em seguida, leia http://www.gnu.org/ e assista o documentário http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlUFqEKmIoY.

Depois de você aprender a diferença entre o GNU e o Linux, fique a vontade para ler e aprender tudo que você quiser ou tiver interesse em aprender.

Se você é um nativo de um idioma diferente do Inglês, por favor, considere a possibilidade de se tornar um tradutor voluntário. Se você é um nativo do idioma Inglês, por favor, considere a possibilidade de se tornar um revisor dos textos em Inglês que foram produzidos por não nativos deste idioma. Saiba que todo texto quando é mal construído, fica quase impossível de ser compreendido pelos nativos do idioma e é ainda mais impossível de ser compreendido pelos tradutores voluntários.

Existem muitas formas de você colaborar com esta comunidade, basta vocẽ querer e começar a fazer.

tburrf00t

Dear @marcelocripe,

It was a very interesting documentary.
                  We should realize how volunteers put in their time to make linux available to us.

The following topics covered had my particular attention:
                  History of Linux, difference between Linux and GNU, open source movement etc.
                  As a result of this documentary, I looked to see if there is some kind of cyberspace group in my area, but unfortunately could not find anything.

What I ask myself is the following:
                  – Why does Linus Torvalds have some kind of all power, suppose if he dies, how will Linux continue?
                  – Why don’t Linux distributions like antiX build their own kernel, is this not doable in terms of work, too much?

Now I will continue with the PPC manual and then I will delve into GNU website 🙂

- free your mind -

Brian Masinick

As you continue to read, you will learn a great deal.

From my vantage point, though Linus Torvalds is still alive and well, he no longer manages all aspects of the Linux kernel
                    at least from my viewpoint. There are kernel maintainers, and at this stage, most of the changes are made by companies
                    desiring newer versions of their device drivers. While I am sure Linus still has a significant voice, the work he does
                    is by no means the only work that’s done.

Also I wouldn’t be surprised at all if another system and an entirely different approach eventually became available,
                    and I certainly would NOT be surprised if it happened before Torvalds retires from active participation or has an
                    untimely death. What is somewhat surprising is that the only significant changes to Linux as we know it is that
                    the Android community uses a modified Linux kernel, so Linux FINALLY made it’s mark in that area, something I had
                    felt was nearly a decade overdue. In the same way, I had expected a different approach; if all that ends up being
                    is a corporate or wealthy takeover of the common computer, then I’m in no hurry to see that, so in that regard I’ll
                    be patient and hope that any architectural changes don’t end up like a “Terminator” man-machine take-over.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

As for Linux kernels, there are quite a few of them.
                      The Debian project manages a whole tree of kernels,
                      the kernel project itself has the source code and multiple
                      binary trees; the Red Hat, SUSE, PCLinuxOS, Arch Linux,
                      MX Linux and antiX projects are just a few that also have
                      their own kernels, even if only slightly different, they
                      are distinct. That’s plenty right there, but I missed
                      naming many other projects; plenty of kernels out there!

--
                      Brian Masinick

tburrf00t

Dear @masinick

Thanks for your clarification and contribution.
                        A good website with lots of information about kernels can be found at:
                        http://www.kernel.org

I didn’t know that antiX also has its own dedicated kernel.
                        So basically it’s the same idea as basing your system on Debian.
                        You take a general linux kernel and customize it.

Now big companies have a monopoly because they have to release the drivers so we can develop our operating system that works on every device.
                        Wouldn’t it be more convenient if we develop our own machine (like the Raspberry PI) and develop our own operating system specifically for it.
                        In doing so, both the hardware (including chip) and software would work smoothly.

- free your mind -

Brian Masinick

????????

--
                          Brian Masinick

PPC

Now I will continue with the PPC manual

🙂
                            It’s not exactly a manual, but the threads Marcelo usually recommends are a great way for everyone to get to know some Linux basics (like what is Linux, what is antiX, what is a Distro, what is a Repository, a Window Manager, a Desktop environment, etc, why Linux does not have a c: drive and what it have instead, why separator bars with Linux are just like the ones in web pages and not like the ones in Windows, how to use antiX to perform basic tasks, and even how the Terminal and scripts work. Only when I saw how big the french versions of some of my texts were I realized how much I wrote about Linux and antiX).
                            Please note that some of my notes about how to use antiX are outdated now, some things can be slightly (or even very) different. But I hope that all the info gives you enough confidence to search the menu and Control Centre and find out how easy Linux can be…

P.

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
                            tburrf00t

Dear @ppc
                              I have finally read your pieces in full.
                              I advise anyone starting out to take the trouble to read them.
                              You have been very helpful, your writing is wonderful.
                              Thank you very much.

- free your mind -

Brian Masinick

????????

--
                                Brian Masinick

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.