Split: Mac-Intel heat issue

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Split: Mac-Intel heat issue

Tagged: 

• This topic has 40 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Feb 8-1:15 am by olsztyn.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    madibi

@Pun Ranger
      after this week end tries, I can confirm you that the “two fingers” on touchpad work fine, according to my needs.
      This tried on antiX 22 full, live.
      As far as Temp are concerned, idle it goes to 50°C, with firefox reading web pages T=70°C, with Zoom T>90°C. Using Q4OS T are superior.
      Next week end I’ll study how to reduce temperatures
      m

olsztyn

As far as Temp are concerned, idle it goes to 50°C, with firefox reading web pages T=70°C, with Zoom T>90°C. Using Q4OS T are superior.

I am curious if you were able to find out how to reduce temperature…
        My testing antiX 23 Arditi del Popolo on Macbook Pro from 2011 shows idle temperature around 60 degrees and using browser reaching 70 degrees. Way more than on my Thinkpad laptops – about 50 degrees…

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
        http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

Brian Masinick

@madibi and @olsztyn I would also be interested in care and reduction of temperatures.

The only methods I know of are to reduce resource usage and physically clean the computer.
          As far as cleaning goes, great care is needed; you can’t just pour water or blow air
          into electronic components; I yield to others as far as the best methods; that’s not
          my forte; I look that stuff up and compare more than one source.

--
          Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I just checked the temperatures on my newest hardware, the HP-14; heat is not an issue at all.
            The disks are cooled to almost room temperature 25.0°C; graphics card temp: 45.0°C, System Temperatures: cpu: 49.2°C.
            As @olsztyn said, Thinkpad models also run around 50°C. That has been my experience too; I have two of them-
            Thinkpad X201 and T510; I’ve used T41, T42, T60-62 in the past too.

Hopefully others will have more useful advice to share.

--
            Brian Masinick

olsztyn

After further testing I just want to confirm that running antiX on Macbook Pro (Apple products) produces heat above expected. No idea what is causing this, but on my newly acquired Macbook Pro it gets this laptop much hotter than Apple native MacOS system or temperatures produced during antiX operation on any of my Thinkpad laptops.
              Apple laptops are very expensive when new, but when old they seem to be on the same price level as typical mainstream laptops and should not be overlooked as potential antiX hardware. It would be great if this heat issue could be explained and resolved…

olsztyn

After further testing I just want to confirm that running antiX on Macbook Pro (Apple products) produces heat above expected. No idea what is causing this, but on my newly acquired Macbook Pro it gets this laptop much hotter than Apple native MacOS system or temperatures produced during antiX operation on any of my Thinkpad laptops.
                Apple laptops are very expensive when new, but when old they seem to be on the same price level as typical mainstream laptops and should not be overlooked as potential antiX hardware. It would be great if this heat issue could be explained and resolved…

madibi

@olsztyn with my previous MacbookPro 3.1 and 2.2, as far as Temperature is concerned I had some help using “macfanctld” (without brackets).
                  I know that I could do some sort of fine tuning of the configuration, but it’s over my knowledge.

As far as Mac Pro, iMac and Macbook Air are concerned, macfanctld did nothing.

According to the following article: http://itsfoss.com/reduce-overheating-laptops-linux/
                  I am going to study how to use “Tlp”: http://linrunner.de/tlp/introduction.html
                  and “thermald”: http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/prevent-your-laptop-from-overheating.html?ref=itsfoss.com.
                  Please note that tlp is already installed by default in antix 22 full (I don’t know how to verify if it works or if I have to start it – I’ll study).
                  Please also take note that tlp and thermald may work together. So I need to do further studies.

Apple laptops are very expensive when new, but when old they seem to be on the same price level as typical mainstream laptops and should not be overlooked as potential antiX hardware.

I confirm what you describe. the unique exception being an iMac 27″ from 2013, 16Gram, where I installed Mx, plasma version, and now the owner is happy using it with no troubles since Jan 2022.

@Brian Thanks for your always kind support 🙂

m

olsztyn

Just to update, I have not given up on reducing temperature when running antiX on Macbook… This heat issue has been bugging me since I acquired Macbook, as when running MacOS there was no heat issue.
                    I have not found any software solution though, so I still do not know why antiX is running hotter. I suspect some intricate power management would help but with antiX 23 B3 Arditi del Popolo ACPI power management services do not seem to initialize properly in my setting I think.

So, not having my arms around software help to reduce temperature I decided to simply upgrade memory chips in my Macboook from 4Gb to 8Gb, with my speculation that this would help temperature. To my surprise this was very effective in reducing temperature. When idle it runs now in 50’s and when using browser it is typically about 62 degrees. It is far better than 70 degrees or more previously. Far more acceptable now and about the same temperatures as my Thinkpad X220… My Thinkpads T410 however run still much cooler (about 55 degrees in about the same conditions)…

• This reply was modified 9 months, 1 week ago by olsztyn.

madibi

I kindly ask to @admins whether to split this thread, and may be add/change the title to “Mac-Intel heat issue”.

@olsztyn I’m not giving up too. Unfortunately last week I had to face a lot of issues with a new antix22 full installation – I’ll describe it in another topic.

I decided to simply upgrade memory chips in my Macboook from 4Gb to 8Gb, with my speculation that this would help temperature. To my surprise this was very effective in reducing temperature

What you wrote is consistent with the result of what I noted about my Mx install on an iMac 27″ from 2013, 16Gram. So that’s may be a good way to follow.
                      Unfortunately on my MacBook Air, ram is soldered, so to upgrade memory is rather impossible.
                      Thx for your help-
                      m

madibi

I’ve done a lot of research and testing, mostly on Debian and Ubuntu sites.
                        The hot topic of MacIntels when using Linux is well known.

MACFANCTLD

The first solution to try, especially on older MacBooks and MacbookPros, is to use “macfanctld” (you can find it in antiX repos).
                        In case you have to adjust the parameters, what you have to do is edit:
                        /etc/macfanctld.conf
                        and make sure that you replace these lines:
                        temp_avg_floor: 55 #45
                        temp_avg_ceiling: 65 #55

temp_TC0P_floor: 55 #50
                        temp_TC0P_ceiling: 65 #58

temp_TG0P_floor: 55 #50
                        temp_TG0P_ceiling: 65 #58
                        Once you have edited you only have to restart macfanctld daemon just like:
                        “service macfanctld restart”.

MBPFAN

The 2nd main choice is to use “mbpfan” (you can find it in antiX repos).
                        It seems that mbpfan works well also on other Mac models.
                        This routine was enough for my MacbookAir early 2014: Temperatures are always < 70°C, except when using zoom. When idle it is approx 51°C.

Also in the following article there is described a routine that works with mbtfan and seems to work well for many users:
                        http://askubuntu.com/questions/1410827/ubuntu-on-macbook-pro-10-2013-overheating

Please note that also cpupower is located in antiX repos.

And here you can also find the original script written by the author:
                        http://seperohacker.blogspot.com/2012/10/linux-keep-your-cpu-cool-with-frequency.html

FANS SPINNING

There is a similar heading issue , where 1 cpu goes 100%, while the others don’t.

In this case what follows may help:
                        Take a note of the interrupts right after booting,
                        grep enabled /sys/firmware/acpi/interrupts/gpe*
                        Do what you normally do, check again some time later…then close/open the lid as well, and check again…
                        If the count has raised up significantly, say by the thousands or so,
                        that would then be a pretty clear indicator acpi is misbehaving there.

If you do indeed find a runaway gpe, eg. say gpe4F, you can then disable it in grub:
                        xed admin:///etc/default/grub
                        Modify there:
                        GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=”acpi_mask_gpe=0x4F quiet splash”

Save, run sudo update-grub, reboot.

If the interrupts are ok in the first place, and hence the above not applicable,
                        you could still try experimenting by passing various acpi parameters to grub & see if that makes a difference.

A pretty common one is:
                        acpi_osi=!Darwin
                        Such tells the firmware specifically that it’s not…an Apple OS that gets loaded (…well, it isn’t now),
                        with the result / side effect of turning off some power-management features, and/or devices (eg. Thunderbolt).
                        You’ll have to manually read & then further research that part though,
                        as i’m not personally qualified to make appropriate / specific suggestions for Apples. Hope that helps.

olsztyn

Thank you @madibi…
                          This is great info… I will play with this and save your above process for the future.

madibi

In my ongoing research into MacIntel heating issues, I found a couple of sites that claim that Mint with Mate causes fewer problems.

I then tested Mint with both Mate and XFCE, but saw no improvements over antiX results.

However, the idea of ​​trying Bodhi 7 came to me and the result was surprising.

On my Macbook Air, early 2014, 4 Gb ram, with a YouTube movie+song page on Chromium, Tmax=53°C, often T<49°, when idle T=45°.

With 4 pages open Temp grows slightly.

I still have to test a Zoom meeting.

I have no idea on the reason why about the above mentioned results.

Please note that I also tried other light distro such as Q4OS (that now is not anymore light) and wattOS with both the heating problems were worst compared to antiX.

I decided not to try LXLE because of the rumors concerning another stop to their development.

m

EDIT: I forgot to write that in all the tests “macfanctld” was activared

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by madibi.
                            symbol

Haha, I also tested solutions including mbpfan and macfanctld, did you find a solution?

Currently I am using mbpfan and this script

• This reply was modified 7 months, 2 weeks ago by symbol.
                              madibi

@symbol

did you find a solution?

Yes
                                Sadly it is that on the Macbook Air, I moved to Bodhi +

macfanctld

With this solution the temperature remains always < 50°C, except some case with youtube clips where it goes to max 65°C, beeing the average 55-58°.
                                Idle after boot T= 45°.

I couldn’t do better
                                m

abc-nix

However, the idea of ​​trying Bodhi 7 came to me and the result was surprising.

Sadly it is that on the Macbook Air, I moved to Bodhi +

What kernel version does bodhi include? This weekend I experimented and went back to using antiX 5.10 linux kernel, as CPU use was less and it also heated less. I am yet to check tlp settings, but I was surprised how much of a difference a kernel release has on how the hardware is utilized.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 41 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.