media reader not recognized

Forum Forums General Hardware media reader not recognized

• This topic has 9 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Jan 8-8:12 am by roland.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    roland

I added a media reader to one of my PCs running Berta Caceres 64bit 16.2. It is not recognised, when I insert an SD the access light flashes endlessly but SpaceFM fails to show it in the devices list. I tried changing it another physical device with the same result. Another PC running Berta Caceres 64bit 16.1 which already had a media reader works fine. Maybe a general system update would help? If anybody discovers a solution or workaround thanks in advance.

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by skidoo.
    • This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by skidoo. Reason: split from earlier "media reader not configured" topic
    skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

v—-roland, here’s a link that rokytnji provided during a recent “media reader not configured” topic
    https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?f=97&p=427591#p427591
    (it may not the provide the exact solution for your case, but mentions several troubleshooting steps)

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

Hi Roland. Like you. I installed a cheapo 4 dollar media reader from china bought on ebay. My ThinkCentre Desktop runs MX-16 though. Every port works in MX. My mention of usb tie pins on the motherboard was from my media box install in the floppy bay of the IBM ThinkCentre.

On my Emachine in the motorcycle shop. (I finished my external wifi sattelite antenna. So it can access wifi router at my house.

I still have to backup certain things on the emachine before I proceed with my AntiX 17 install. If I have problems with my media card reader panel on the front of that. One of my steps may be to add MX 17/text file/ repos to my /etc/apt/sources.d

Run a apt-get update. Install a MX kernel. Update grub. Boot into that. Comment out my MX repo entries I enabled.
    apt-get update again. Test my card readers again. Not sure if this will work or not. But that is how I trouble shoot systems. Poke and hope. Slowly but surely. If it works. I will uninstall the AntiX kernel and just use the MX kernel.

Kernels litter smxi and Debian kernels are abundant. I’ll find something eventually.

`

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
    Not all who Wander are Lost.
    I'm not outa place. I'm from outer space.

Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

roland
    Helpful
    Up

Update to my remarks above, if I boot up with an SD in the reader the boot hangs endlessly ‘waiting for /dev to be fully populated’, then if I pull out the SD it carries on with the boot which completes normally. The media reader looks old but I cleaned it out inside and contacts and plugs look ok. The SD works fine on 2 other PCs, both running 16.1.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

remove quiet from your bootline while troubleshooting, and

try adding these arguments to the bootline (only one at a time):.
    nomodeset
    acpi=off
    acpi_use_timer_override=1
    safe
    delay 30

I added a media reader to one of my PCs

Internal? External?
    Can you attach it to another PC to find out (and post to report here) the exact device brand+model+rev of the device?

roland
    Helpful
    Up

I have a problem with a media reader not recognised, but the USB slot sees a pendrive Ok. I ran dmesg | tail and got the attached response, each with a different media in the slot. What am I looking for here please ?

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

What am I looking for here please ?

I have not read up on this yet myself.

Your 1st screenshot is about firewall and eth1 . Not media reader.

Edit; So far. My take away. Is media reader hardware interface failure to disk drive being formatted wrong error.

My messages on my thread are different than yours, by the way.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by rokytnji.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by skidoo.

roland
    Helpful
    Up

I’m reluctant to change too much [kernels, grub] until all else is exhausted. I’m still very much a beginner with Linux. Antix is so good it has kept me that way. I’ll come back to your suggestions when I’ve gone through the basic suggestions. If I insert an sd-card-fix.conf file with ‘options sdhci debug_quirks2=”0x65536″‘ do I reboot before trying the reader?

Like you, I too was a biker, owned an AMF FLH80 for 35 years, too old to ride one now.

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    Helpful
    Up

If I insert an sd-card-fix.conf file with ‘options sdhci debug_quirks2=”0x65536″‘ do I reboot before trying the reader?

All I can say is give it a shot. I try all kinds of unknown fixes on my end. Since I own a bunch of free computers. If it breaks? I boot a live usb and look to uninstall any added test text files I might be trying. Or even just renaming them to .old or .backup. So the machine boots completely again.

That is what test runs for trouble shooting is all about. Even when you are not sure if you know what you are doing. Right now it is 32F in the motorcycle shop. So I am posting from in the house where I got central heating. Weather decides when I get back on my wireless Emachine 3507 desktop computer.

roland
    Helpful
    Up

I added this option ‘options sdhci debug_quirks2=”0x65536″‘ line but there was no effect. The reader I installed has a USB outlet which works as it should, 2.1 I think on this old MSI mainboard. I tried another reader without a USB outlet which it also fails to recognise with an SD mounted.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.