Split: Preparing for FT10 migration to FT11

Forum Forums General Software Split: Preparing for FT10 migration to FT11

• This topic has 56 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated May 18-1:12 pm by vance.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    PPC

I can’t right now create a new package, but this is how my current FT10 desktop looks like…

https://imgur.com/sCp65IL

My idea is, if I get to create the newer version, include this new “cleaner” menu. It basically gets all the good menu UI ideas I’ve seen on several OSes and mix them together: we have an easily searchable menu, that displays the “Pinned/Favorite” apps first (as always, the first line entry allows to manage those favorites), then the list of all available apps. On the bottom (from left to right) the “Exit”, “Control Centre”, “Recent Files” and “Force close window” buttons.
      I think most current computer users, influenced by mobile devices, no longer expect to see applications organized in categories, so this new jgmenu configuration makes sense to me…
      A future FT10 version will also probably have less apps, because the essential ones are already included in antiX 23. If the antiX Conky manager does not get to be included in antiX, then it will probably be included in FT10, just to provide the “pseudo desktop gadgets” like the ones you see on my desktop
      I won’t probably change the toolbar itself, except maybe, adding the weather, if it’s not too much work (since it’s now easily available in Conky and we do have the icon that summons the weather window, already available by default in antiX 23.
      Probably, FT10 no longer needs to change any zzzfm configuration, so one less problem…

Any feedback?

P.

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PPC.
      • This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PPC.
      • This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick.
      Brian Masinick

@PPC do you still have tint2-time-and-date-manager.zip and does it continue to work for you?

If not, I can check it out or grab any of your older packages that specifically reference “FT10”.

I don’t use it on a regular basis, but as you probably remember, I *DID* use and test many of the versions you worked on, and it is a solid tool; I am pretty sure it would still work. I can retrieve anything you need if necessary; let me know and I’ll be glad to help once again.

--
        Brian Masinick

PPC

Mr Masinick – I can recall the name of that file (I created many hundreds of such files). If you can, please e-mail it to me, so I can take a look!

@All – It’s not what I recommend, but, if anyone wants to really try to make antiX as much as possible as Windows, configuring the toolbar to move to the right, and using the right wallpaper (it’s on github- https://github.com/niivu/Windows-11-themes/tree/main/Windows%2011%20redux, and a little magic (I had to change the image a bit), I expect that most people will feel right at home and make for any easy transition to antiX…

https://imgur.com/Sye7atf

EDIT: the problem with having an OS with a very large chunk of the desktop computers market (like Windows), is that people get used to the strangest design choices:
          – having a toolbar/dock that spans the bottom part of the screen does make sense, because users always know where to click to access the menu, the clock, etc.
          – having a centered toolbar/dock (like MacOS) does reduce the distance the pointer has to travel to click any option, and it’s also pleasing to some tastes, so it also makes sense.
          – having a toolbar/dock that spans the bottom part of the screen but is partly centered and partly to the right? That’s downright weird, but hey… people that bought computers in the last 2 years or so get that by default (and most users don’t change system defaults) and kind of expect that as the “new default”. Fortunately, antiX, tint2 and jgmenu are extremely versatile, and can accommodate most of those design choices (except for “smart launchers”- where the same toolbar “icon/button” serves both as launcher and as a way to access the open window of that app- we still have “launchers” in one side and a regular “taskbar” on the other. The only way around that “problem” that I found is using docks that use lots of system resources)
          – the same thing with a having a “simplified” menu – simple is usually better… but why have 2 “tabs”- a main one that displays mainly pinned apps (similar to a mobile device screen) and recent files/apps, and then have to click a button to access a new “tab” that lists all the available apps (in a windows 10 like way)- why the hell they don’t have just one “tab”, and users can scroll down to see all available apps? “New” and “Different” is not always the best way to go… just look at the misery that was the Windows 8 Start menu… I do think that a simple menu, like the one I’m testing out it easier to use and more intuitive. There are some problems, of course- I can’t directly list recent files (users have to click that button to access them on a different menu), and I have no way to list recently used apps. My favorite? It’s the categories menu (with the pseudo-tiles, most of the time)

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PPC.
          Brian Masinick

@PPC never mind, you just posted the item the other day; I made a mistake in what I wrote; sorry for the disruption and confusion on my part! πŸ™‚

--
            Brian Masinick

PPC

For anyone still using FT10, here’s a sneak preview of an eventual FT11…

EDIT 3: Revised instructions to test the new jgmenu configuration:
              0- Install FT10 and enable it
              1- Download https://www.antixforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/jgmenu-FT11-config-filesv2.zip
              1.1- Optional: if you you want to, backup all files in ~/.config/jgmenu
              2- Using zzzfm, navigate to where you saved that file, usually the “Downloads” folder, right click that file and left click the option to uncompress it
              3- Enter the new folder that was created (called “jgmenu-FT11-config-filesv2”) and select all the files there and copy those files (including the scripts) to the folder ~/.config/jgmenu replacing all the files contained in that destination folder
              3.1- If you want to test the new menu, run the script ~/.config/jgmenu/ft10-menu.sh
              4- Edit your tint2 configuration file manually (ex: geany ~/.config/tint2/tint2rc ) and replace the line (should be around line nr 454) that says:

button_lclick_command = …

With

button_lclick_command = ~/.config/jgmenu/ft10-menu.sh

Save the change to the configuration file.

5- Restart tint2/your session/your computer

You should now have complete access to the brand new FT11. What does it include? From top to bottom:
              – The (application) search field
              – The “Pinned Apps” title- if you left click it, you can manage the pinned apps in an easy GUI, that depends on app-select (the bug introduced when app-select was updated is fixed on the script that is invoked)
              – The Pinned apps list, from the first added to the last added
              – The “Recommended files” title – left click it to see the full list of your recent files
              – The last 5 files in your recent files list. Of course that clicking any of them opens them using the default app for that effect
              – The “All apps” title (non interactive, you can’t click it)
              – The all apps list, in alphabetical order, including icon, name and generic name/description
              – A fixed bottom section of the menu that display several icons- from left to right: Default File Manager; Force close a window; Control Centre; Exit (shutdown, suspend, log off, etc)

You can scroll trough the menu using the mouse’s scroll button or the cursor keys+ Home, End, Page up, Page down. If you start typing, the menu instantly starts searching for an application with the typed string in it’s name (you can select the options that appear and press enter to launch the application).

In all, I like the simplicity and power of this menu.

NOTES: I did have to work magic in order to have the menu show a real time list of recent files… I only was able to do it in a flash of inspiration, while, you guessed it, drinking coffee, on my coffee break πŸ™‚

EDIT: Ups, I uploaded by mistake the new wallpaper- it’s free to use, so no problem, I guess…

As always, please test. Any input or suggestion is appreciated… but I won’t probably be creating a new FT10 package anytime soon, so using this implies installing and enabling the current FT10 and then downloading the attached compressed file, using the files contained inside it and edit tint2 configuration file. Not exactly rocket science, but a more complex procedure than FT10 users usually have to preform (hum… basically just clicking icons πŸ™‚ )

EDIT2: Please don’t download the compressed file attached on this post, it does not work correctly. Please download the one attached to my next post!

P.

Brian Masinick

At this point there is at least one entry incorrectly set:
                sed: can’t read /home/paulo/.config/jgmenu/append.csv: No such file or directory

also a bunch of configuration files –
                tiles-OFF.csv, jgmenurc, buttons.csv, jmenu-editor.sh, append.csv are exxtracted to the same directory as the zip file is extracted into; that is OK during testing, but at this point I am not sure if there is anything I can test.

I tried invoking the script and it spit out messsages about each of these files too, so clearly the tool expects them to be in a particular location and it wasn’t where I happened to place the script.

I’ll be glad to test again, but please help me understand where this wants to run and where to place each file. Thanks!

--
                Brian Masinick

PPC

At this point there is at least one entry incorrectly set:

Dang. I missed that one. I already correct that, on the attached file.

I noticed I failed to explain where the files inside the compressed files should be placed, and I was adding that info the my post when you wrote yours:
                  uncompress the file anywhere an then copy the files inside the uncompressed folder to ~/.config/jgmenu, replacing the contents of that folder (please back it up first, if you want to keep your current jgmenu configuration)!

P.

Brian Masinick

Better; I figured out that most of the files you provide have to go into a ~/.config/jgmenu directory, so I did that and it reduced the number of errors, but I still get this one –

./ft10-menu.sh
                    ./ft10-menu.sh: line 29: jgmenu_run: command not found

I recommend doing some kind of mkdir -p ~/.config/jgmenu command in the build; this command will do nothing
                    if the directory exists and create it if it doesn’t exist.

Then place all of the jgmenu config files into that directory.
                    The two shell scripts can go wherever the user decides to put the script; I like to put them in my
                    own custom ~/bin directory.

If you make these additional chances and fix whatever that error message is, we should get further;
                    hopefully it will work with these changes.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

I think I got it. I copied jmenu-editor.sh to the file jgmenu_run that the program attempts
                      to run, and then reran, after first putting the other files into the .config/jgmenu directory.

It then worked, though it did spit out one more message: grep: /home/masinick/.config/jgmenu/prepend.csv: No such file or directory

--
                      Brian Masinick

PPC

./ft10-menu.sh: line 29: jgmenu_run: command not found

That is wierd… “jgmenu_run” is not a script I created, I think it’s part of the jgmenu package… Do you have it installed? This config files are meant to be used “on top” of FT10.
                        Anyway, you can edit that part of the script and replace “jgmenu_run” with just “jgmenu”…
                        Explanation: jgmenu_run does this: if jgmenu is not running, runs it. If jgmenu is already running, it toggles it on (it’s useful for computers with enough RAM to always have jgmenu RAM resident- obviously that’s not turned on on my jgmenu configuration, but to cover all bases, I use jgmenu-run on the scripts…

P.

Brian Masinick

I think I got it, and I found the prepend.csv file; will re-edit the script, move the config file and it should work.

I still recommend modifying your tool to properly check for the existence of the config file in the desired directory,
                          create it if it doesn’t exist, then put all of the config files into that directory, then the two scripts can be placed
                          and used wherever needed; I did edit the executable scripts to manually get this to work so it’s getting closer.

However, for anyone to reliably use this it needs all of the details and I also recommend not having to manually install
                          anything; check if the packages needed exist; if not, either install them or recommend their installation and end the script,
                          one way or the other. At least then the tool is genuinely robust. Those are my suggestions to make your excellent ideas
                          work REALLY well! πŸ™‚

--
                          Brian Masinick

PPC

It then worked, though it did spit out one more message: grep: /home/masinick/.config/jgmenu/prepend.csv: No such file or directory

prepend.csv is inside the zip file. Please place all files contained inside the zip file (including the scripts) in the folder ~/.config/jgmenu/

To test the menu, you can simply run the ft10-menu.sh script. If you want to run it when you click the “Menu” button on tint2, you have to edit tint2rc file as I explained in my previous post…

Yep, as I figured out- most people are just used to install a package, not manually copying files from a zipped file to a folder πŸ™
                            I’ll see what I can do, over the week-end, but I know how much work is required to change FT10 package, maybe over 1 year ago… I tried it before (unfortunately my PC died with all my work inside it, before I had a chance to back most of it).

P.

Brian Masinick

OK, I think we’ve both figured out what is needed and I got it working. Best wishes!

--
                              Brian Masinick

PPC

I revised the instructions, trying to make it easier for future testers… Feel free to read it and suggest any improvements to that text…

I got it working.

So… you are the first person to test this, other than me! Do you like, do you prefer the previous menu options??? As always I welcome all productive feedback (even negative)
                                The original idea is having 3 menu options: Categories, Tiles, Modern (this latest one).
                                The only thing I feel can be a real improvement is that it allows faster access to recent files… other than that, it’s not my favorite menu (at least not yet)… I hope that, at least it will help Windows 11 users transition to antiX

P.

Brian Masinick

As far as creating simple icons, adding, moving, removing, I think this is good for this purpose; it should NOT be complicated and it is not, so it passes that test. We’ve already discussed the other aspects of simplifying this; the early user should never have to do anything other than click a few buttons to install, and click a few buttons to use; the advanced user may only try this out for convenience, so the audience is definitely the beginner, so please continue to cater exclusively to them, at least for scripts similar to this one; the appearance of the resulting script once I got it working is spot on for the desired audience; well done on that part!

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 57 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.