Split: Preparing for FT10 migration to FT11

Forum Forums General Software Split: Preparing for FT10 migration to FT11

• This topic has 56 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated May 18-1:12 pm by vance.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji

Curiosity kicks in again.

Reading package lists...
      Building dependency tree...
      Reading state information...
      The following additional packages will be installed:
        jgmenu-antix libfm-extra4 libmenu-cache-bin libmenu-cache3 tint2
      Suggested packages:
        lxmenu-data
      The following NEW packages will be installed:
        ft10-transformation jgmenu-antix libfm-extra4 libmenu-cache-bin
        libmenu-cache3 tint2
      0 upgraded, 6 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
      Need to get 955 kB of archives.
      After this operation, 3,189 kB of additional disk space will be used.
      Get:1 http://la.mxrepo.com/antix//bookworm bookworm/main amd64 jgmenu-antix amd64 4.3.1~contribs2 [126 kB]
      Get:2 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 tint2 amd64 17.0.1-1 [411 kB]
      Get:3 http://la.mxrepo.com/antix//bookworm bookworm/main amd64 ft10-transformation all 1.4.10 [331 kB]
      Get:4 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 libfm-extra4 amd64 1.3.2-1 [32.7 kB]
      Get:5 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 libmenu-cache-bin amd64 1.1.0-1.1 [34.5 kB]
      Get:6 http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian bookworm/main amd64 libmenu-cache3 amd64 1.1.0-1.1 [20.2 kB]
      Fetched 955 kB in 3s (319 kB/s)
      Selecting previously unselected package tint2.
      (Reading database ... 194861 files and directories currently installed.)
      Preparing to unpack .../0-tint2_17.0.1-1_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking tint2 (17.0.1-1) ...
      Selecting previously unselected package libfm-extra4:amd64.
      Preparing to unpack .../1-libfm-extra4_1.3.2-1_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking libfm-extra4:amd64 (1.3.2-1) ...
      Selecting previously unselected package libmenu-cache-bin.
      Preparing to unpack .../2-libmenu-cache-bin_1.1.0-1.1_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking libmenu-cache-bin (1.1.0-1.1) ...
      Selecting previously unselected package libmenu-cache3:amd64.
      Preparing to unpack .../3-libmenu-cache3_1.1.0-1.1_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking libmenu-cache3:amd64 (1.1.0-1.1) ...
      Selecting previously unselected package jgmenu-antix.
      Preparing to unpack .../4-jgmenu-antix_4.3.1~contribs2_amd64.deb ...
      Unpacking jgmenu-antix (4.3.1~contribs2) ...
      Selecting previously unselected package ft10-transformation.
      Preparing to unpack .../5-ft10-transformation_1.4.10_all.deb ...
      Unpacking ft10-transformation (1.4.10) ...
      Setting up libfm-extra4:amd64 (1.3.2-1) ...
      Setting up tint2 (17.0.1-1) ...
      Setting up libmenu-cache-bin (1.1.0-1.1) ...
      Setting up libmenu-cache3:amd64 (1.1.0-1.1) ...
      Setting up jgmenu-antix (4.3.1~contribs2) ...
      Setting up ft10-transformation (1.4.10) ...
      Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.26-1) ...
      Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
      Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.36-9+deb12u4) ...
      Processing triggers for man-db (2.11.2-2) ...
      Processing triggers for shared-mime-info (2.2-1) ...
      Processing triggers for mailcap (3.70+nmu1) ...
      Writing Menu: jwm
      Writing Menu: fluxbox
      Writing Menu: icewm

Installed through antiX package manager. I’ve ran the early releases of ft10-transformation before.
      Nice that you can turn it off and on in preferences with a logout and login.
      Been installing on installs that have the room for it.
      Sometimes I like it. Sometimes I don’t.
      Been awhile so curiosity won out.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
      I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
      Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
      How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

FT10 is a very nice tool for those who enjoy both convenience and a variety of colorful graphic icons and images along with easy to use buttons on the tools.

FT11 is not available, but @PPC has hinted about it and resurrected a few of his utilities in anticipation for a round of updates leading eventually to a new version of his creative tool.

--
        Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
        rokytnji

I think I got the ft11 menu layout . I renamed the jgmenu original folder in ~/.config after installing and enabling ft10 to jgmenu.bk

Then downloaded the zip and extracted in my test folder. Copied it to ~/.config . Renamed it jgmenu from jgmenu-FT11-config-filesv2.

Logged out and back in.

Did I do this right? Edit: after looking at your imgur screenshot link in 1st post. Looks like I nailed it.

Tried adding mpv and toggle conky to icons displayed. Works good. 🙂

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by rokytnji.

PPC

Did I do this right? Edit: after looking at your imgur screenshot link in 1st post. Looks like I nailed it.

Yes! You nailed it!
            Many thanks for sharing the screen capture. This lead me to find out that for some reason, on my work computer the menu (that uses antiX 22), for some reason was wider than in my home computer (that uses antiX 23.1), so there’s a tiny adjument we have to make:
            Please open jgmenurc for edition:
            geany ~/.config/jgmenu/jgmenurc

And make sure this line has this value:
            menu_width = 688

No need to restart anything. The next time you open the menu, it will be a bit wider, enough for you to see the missing “Exit” button on the bottom right!

What I noticed from your screenshot:
            – No Recommended (AKA Recent) Files. That section of the menu is only updated if you run ~/.config/jgmenu/ft10-menu.sh (that’s why I recommend editing tint2 toolbar so it launches that script when you click the “menu” button, instead of running just jgmenu_run)
            – I’ll also edit the ft10-menu.sh, so it generates an entry to the FAQ’s, if the list is empty (ex: if it’s the first time the user is running antiX), making that section of the menu useful by default.

I’ll try to generate a script that users can run on FT10, to automate the process of converting it to FT11, it’s a middle ground between having to do everything manually and having a package…

EDIT: …and off topic – I really, really like the Modern Conky – in my country we have an expression: “The eyes also eat” (meaning “Looks do matter”). The default conky is as helpful as possible, cramming as much useful info as possible in a single column… But it looks something from the 90’s or so. Any variant of the Modern Conky shows most of the same information (or at least what I consider the most relevant info most people need, by default) but in what looks like a modern day desktop widget. My point – the Modern Conky alone is enough to change antiX looks. In case you don’t know that- it’s already an unofficial part of antiX (i.e.- it’s integrated into antiX’s git, but not on antiX’s packages, at least not yet)- it’s over at https://gitlab.com/antiX-Linux/yad-goodies/-/raw/main/bin/antix_conky_manager?ref_type=heads (you can download that file, make sure it’s executable and run it)- without the logical fear of using “some unknown dude’s script”- it’s in antiX official files (yeah, now we are not even sure that official files in an official git are safe… thanks a lot “xz” hack… the FOSS world really needed that wake up call 🙁 ).
            Like Marcelo said, antiX with FT10 or FT11 “does not look like antiX”. It’s kind of the point – show that in an easy way (hum… at least when using the finished product) anyone can “theme” antiX so it’s easy to use, no matter what OS you come from (yes, I still want to get to build a script to theme antiX to look like MacOS, to cover all the bases- I’ve made tutorials on it, but never a package).
            That said: the default antiX, with the default theme, with Modern Conky and using the newly available options in the testing version of ICeWM Control Centre does allow users to, via a simple to use GUI, theme antiX menu so it looks more “standards compliant” (ex: a search entry, favorite/personal apps, application categories, Recent files, a control centre/ control panel, exit options). I’m happy that FT10 is less needed that it was when it was conceived- many of it’s features (including the option to select having a “Categories menu” are now, or will probably soon be, part of the default antiX experience).

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PPC.
            Forum Admin
            rokytnji

Edited toolbar width from 600 to 688, Logout button shows up.
              Thought I might have made a mistake when I hit that button and logout popped up.
              Was wondering if I had to learn cancel logout in ft11.

But tint red button still brings the logout button into view.
              So no worries. Ran

~/.config/jgmenu/ft10-menu.sh

so now I have recent files also.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by rokytnji.

marcelocripe

Hello PPC.
                I also managed to test the new FT10 model, which will be called FT11.
                Are there now three possible models for the main menu?
                Thank you very much!

– – – – –

Olá, PPC.
                Eu também consegui testar o novo modelo do FT10 que passará a se chamar FT11.
                Agora são três modelos possíveis para o menu principal?
                Muito obrigado!

Forum Admin
                rokytnji

Do this marcel

geany ~/.config/jgmenu/jgmenurc

Change taskbar width from 600 to 688 and save the file. Now you will get 4 icons.

If you want recent files to show.
                  ~/.config/jgmenu/ft10-menu.sh

Good luck.

Edit: on my intial ft10 install and opening it. I only saw 2 choices. I picked the left one.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by rokytnji.

marcelocripe

Change taskbar width from 600 to 688 and save the file. Now you will get 4 icons.

Thank you, now I was able to understand what I had to do when editing the configuration files. Now I can see the buttons.

on my intial ft10 install and opening it. I only saw 2 choices. I picked the left one.

It would be nice to be able to have all three options, that is, the current menu model that is displayed in the center of the screen and the other two that exist in the FT10.

– – – – –

Obrigado, agora eu consegui compreender o que era para fazer nas edições dos arquivos de configurações. Agora eu consigo visualizar os botões.

on my intial ft10 install and opening it. I only saw 2 choices. I picked the left one.

Seria bom poder ter as três opções, ou seja, o modelo atual do menu que é exibido no centro da tela e os outros dois que existem no FT10.

PPC

OK, everyone:

Having FT11 menu on FT10 is easier than ever:
                      0- If you haven’t done so, install FT10 and make sure it’s enabled (antiX menu > Preferences)
                      1- Download this file: https://www.antixforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/04/install-ft11-menu-v3.zip
                      2- Unzip/extract that zip file
                      3- Move to the new subfolder that extracting the zip created (called install-ft11-menu-v3 )
                      4- Once on that subfolder, run the script install-ft11-menu.sh (on zzzfm, right click it, place the pointer over “Open” then left click the option that allows to execute/run it, on the contextual menu that appears)

EDIT: In order for the change performed on tint2 to fully produce effects, please restart tint2/session/computer

That’s it. The new menu instantly pops up, no further configuration is needed.
                      Also, tint2 menu is edited to, when you click the Start Menu button, open the new menu, with always refreshed “Recommended/Recent files)

Notes:
                      – For now, the titles of the sections of the menu are only in English
                      – The menu width should be corrected
                      – I centered the search field and move it’s icon from the the far right (no political pun intended, anticapitalista 🙂 )
                      – The tiles of the sections now include a “bullet” to allow users to better differentiate them from regular entries
                      – The “All apps” section title is perfectly aligned with the other section titles (even being a separator, not a regular menu entry- this is hard to achieve, so probably that won’t be implemented on the final version, as it’s has to be done individually for each language)
                      – Recommended/Recent files – only 4 are shown. If there are no 4 recent files, the FAQ entry will be displayed (to help new users and let them know it’s there). Regular recent files have a “star icon”
                      – The menu has less rounded edges and is also slightly transparent (if you enable a video composition, like xcompmgr that comes pre-installed in antiX 23 and includes a GUI switch to turn in on or off- you can search for xcompmgr on the menu, run it and then click the switch to change it’s state)

Please test and report back any problems, suggestions, etc.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by PPC.
                      Brian Masinick

Remind me if I have not answered by Monday afternoon; I was away for most of the day yesterday (outdoors on a beautiful day) and today I am simply cleaning up on messages read. I’ll try to remember to test by tomorrow; if not, jog me with a “quick message” and I’ll be glad to follow up.

--
                        Brian Masinick

PPC

Remind me if I have not answered by Monday afternoon; I was away for most of the day yesterday (outdoors on a beautiful day) and today I am simply cleaning up on messages read. I’ll try to remember to test by tomorrow; if not, jog me with a “quick message” and I’ll be glad to follow up.

Sure, Mr Masinick!

Meanwhile, I fixed a few things and changed a bit the the menu…

Brian Masinick

Thanks Mister “PPC”! 🙂

--
                            Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                            rokytnji

Is it a good idea to rename jgmenu folder to like for me jgmenubk2 before downloading, unzipping, executing

install-ft11-menu-v3.zip 

or leave well enough alone the previous jgmenu folder.

PPC

or leave well enough alone the previous jgmenu folder.

We can’t. Since that folder stores all the config files the menu needs to work, it has to be edited. The install script includes a backup routine, but it’s not working and I’ve no yet looked into that problem (it should be something obvious…)

P.

Forum Admin
                                rokytnji

Well. Borked it good. Tried reinstalling ft10. Picked r/h display choice instead of left choice for menu selection.

Deleted all my backups 1st.

Tint2 menu bar quit working. So I figured uninstall everything and start over.
                                  Might have been a bad idea though.

Rebooted after uninstall. Lost icewm taskbar on reboot. Posting now in JWM. Right click in icewm still brings up the menu.
                                  Looked in file manager and all files are in ~/.icewm folder and hold content.
                                  Restart icewm from menu using right click menu. Still no taskbar.
                                  Went through ~/.icewm folder and deleted ft10 backup folder and rebooted as a poke and hope.

Still no icewm taskbar. Does not matter which icewm I pick to start from Desktop choices in menu.
                                  Fluxbox slit and JWM taskbar is OK though.

Not bitching. Just reporting what I did and found. Not sweating missing icewm taskbar. I can still function using icewm control center from my test folder if need be.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 57 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.