Split: Preparing for FT10 migration to FT11

Forum Forums General Software Split: Preparing for FT10 migration to FT11

• This topic has 56 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated May 18-1:12 pm by vance.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

Don’t feel too bad @rokytnji
      I have done that before but I have done worse not long ago at all:

Forgetting which system I was on in spite of completely different appearance and speed I installed one distribution and completely overwrote everything else. I did install antiX so it wasn’t the end of the world but I had to reinstall it after creating a sufficient number of partitions and properly populating them.

It was not a complete disaster because of my device strategy but it did cost me several hours of work to reconstruct the system properly.

It happens to the best of us, which is why a good backup AND recovery strategy is essential; fortunately I have mine.

--
      Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
      rokytnji

No reinstall needed Brian from a snapshot.

For some reason show taskbar in icewm preferences was set to zero.
        Changed setting to one and taskbar is back in business.
        Even using the theme I picked while trouble shooting.

No worries bro.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

No reinstall needed Brian from a snapshot.

For some reason show taskbar in icewm preferences was set to zero.
          Changed setting to one and taskbar is back in business.
          Even using the theme I picked while trouble shooting.

No worries bro.

Excellent! Glad you found the show taskbar setting; there are hundreds of those settings;
          some people do not like such things; personally I have always preferred text-based configuration settings with modifiable variables for every possible choice. This has long been one of my reasons for enjoying IceWM!

--
          Brian Masinick

PPC

Wow! I’ve tested lots of things on FT10 and never ever was able to brick it…
            IceWM toolbar as to be disabled, so the system tray can show up in the tint2 toolbar – even if tint2 (the toolbar) or jgmenu (the menu) fail for some reason, the menu entry to disable FT10 should restore the window manager to the default settings.

I did work a bit more on the menu – I have a new dedicated “recent files menu”, a new “shutdown menu!, a new “User menu” and the main menu shows up the current user’s name – offering most of the stuff people coming from other OSes, like recent Windows, may expect… but I have to change the installer so it correctly copies those files to the correct folder. I can say that the version of the menu I’m testing on my computer does 95% of everything I wished it should do, and it seems that I’ve stretched jgmenu as far as I can…

P.

PPC

You can test the “Exit menu”, it should work just by running this command (if the forum does not mess it up):

#!/bin/bash
              #User menu for FT11
              echo "← , sleep 0.5 && jgmenu_run, "  > /tmp/ft10-users.txt
              echo Sleep - suspends computer,desktop-session-exit -S, /usr/share/icewm/themes/FX-dark/icons/suspend_32x32.png >> /tmp/ft10-users.txt
              echo Exit -power off computer,desktop-session-exit -s, /usr/share/icewm/themes/FX-dark/icons/logout_32x32.png >> /tmp/ft10-users.txt
              echo Restart- reboot computer, desktop-session-exit -R, /usr/share/icewm/themes/FX-dark/icons/restart_32x32.png >> /tmp/ft10-users.txt
              eval "cat /tmp/ft10-users.txt | jgmenu --config-file=~/.config/jgmenu/usersrc --simple"
              • This reply was modified 1 month ago by PPC.
              Brian Masinick

“Having FT11 menu on FT10 is easier than ever”

Do I have to install or reinstall FT10 in order to use the FT11 update or is FT11 also a complete tool independently of other interfaces or packages?

--
                Brian Masinick

PPC

Do I have to install or reinstall FT10 in order to use the FT11

No. When you have Ft10, simply download the compressed file, extract it and run the installer file that’s inside it. It automates everything

P.

Brian Masinick

I do NOT have FT10 installed. Is FT10 a prerequisite for FT11?

In other words, what, if any, are the prerequisite packages for using FT11?

--
                    Brian Masinick

Forum Admin
                    rokytnji

Where-ever there I am. I can break it PPC. Uninstalling ft10 of course removed start/stop ft10 from preferences menu.

Was testing this on the shop box so I’ll leave it be for now.
                      Temp going up outside to 98F today so I am in a/c in the house on my laptop now.
                      I copied and named the text file you posted exit-menu.sh.
                      I’ll make sure it is executable in case I install ft10 and rig up ft11 on this laptop.
                      I tweaked the other laptop to ft11 but I won’t test install-ft11-menu-v3 on it till I know what I am doing better.
                      I did post a screenshot on MX forum though in the antiX section high-lighting ft11 though.

Got one response so far saying it looks slick.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                      I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                      Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                      How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

PPC

In other words, what, if any, are the prerequisite packages for using FT11?

Just installing and enabling Ft10. What we are currently calling “FT11” is a testing version for config files and scripts that will eventually, if I get to it, be in a final updated FT10 package or a new package really called FT11.

I did post a screenshot on MX forum

Thanks!- Back when I started developing FT10, I was also working with MX Fluxbox – so some tint2 ideas are a bit common between both UI’s… I think that my current test version that I have installed is very nearly as feature rich as MXFB, and is uses just a bit more than 200MB of Idle RAM… (it goes up slowly if you enable the compositor, dunst for notification, automatic updater, etc)

P.

Brian Masinick

I started experimenting with the updated configuration and got it working.

Are there specific features which should be focused on as far as the differences in configuration?

--
                          Brian Masinick

PPC

I’m getting closer to having everything working just like I wanted…

What I changed:

Instead of a compressed file with lots of files, everything was integrated into the script that allows users to select the kind of FT10 that should be used.
                            Most of the files used to generate the tint2 and jgmenu configuration files were agregated into a single one (before that sections of the process were performed in several files. I think it’s better to have everything in the same place, for easier management

To do:
                            – integrate the menu to see all recent files
                            – create image for the new button in the menu selection window
                            – localization

How to use this:

1- Make sure you installed FT10 (no need to enable it)
                            2- Download the attached file
                            3- Uncompress (unzip) the attached file, navigate to the uncompressed sub-folder that is created, with the same name as the .zip file
                            3- run the script ft10-create-v2 and select the kind of the menu you want

Attachments:
                            PPC

From now, it’s all I can do:
                              I reused the original menu texts (and all their localization) in the first layer of the FT11 menu (session and exit menus are still in English, I’ll probably reuse localization from other apps for their entries)

P.

PPC

I finished adapting most strings for automatic localization (Only the manage user settings one is missing)

P.

PPC

All entries in the FT11 main menu and user and exit menus should be localized now.
                                  I cleaned up some unnecessary explanations, in order to streamline the menus
                                  Clicking the “Recommended/Recent files” entry summons zzzfm recent files window
                                  Clicking the “All/All Apps” entry summons app-select
                                  Recent files, once again have the “star icon”
                                  Everything else remains the same, but the tint2 toolbar by default is not black (like it was by defaulg), but dark grey and, in the Categories menu, the first entry is “All” and the last one is “antiX” – I think it makes sense that, by default, the first option is “All”…

EDIT: it’s a bit of a bad time for me, in my real life, but I wanted to finish this script, so at least FT10 users could have the latest menu in a relatively easy way: they keep the previous 2 other menu options (Categories and Tiled) and have a new option.
                                  Since this new script that toggles FT10 on includes almost everything it needs to work, creating a new FT10 package that includes the new menu basically just requires replacing ft10-create’ contents for ft10-create-v6loc contents and that’s it…
                                  This new menu, for now, does not offer to install any new packages (like batch file renamers, etc) and no longer asks to alter zzzfm (since that is no longer required). A final version of the script, should probably still include options to disable volumeicon and conky… I’ll have to think about it (lets see if I have an easy new way to implement that). For now, the new Centered menu has just about every singly feature I wanted it to have, and can help antiX users adjust to Windows 11 (ex: if they need to use it at work) or help Windows 11 users adjust to antiX. That was my aim.

P.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 57 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.