Split: Preparing for FT10 migration to FT11

Forum Forums General Software Split: Preparing for FT10 migration to FT11

• This topic has 56 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated May 18-1:12 pm by vance.
Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    PPC

Dang!

I had forgot to include the code to generate the jgmenu-editor…

Fixed that…

P.

PPC

And of course, being bilingual, I did not notice that the “Favorite/Pinned” apps where in English. I localized those entries and also added a couple of worthy entries “E-mail (that I think once came by default in the antiX menu) and Youtube (that launches smtube).

Now I think that part of the work is done! Ewe!!!

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PPC.
        PPC

And the last one for today: almost the same as the previous one, but the Menu selection window now includes a checkbox to choose if you want to use FT10’s own “static volume icon” or antiX’s default “volumeicon”. I’ll probably also add toggles to display the system resources on the toolbar (on by default) and maybe also the “Exit” button

Enjoy!

P.

Brian Masinick

And the last one for today: almost the same as the previous one, but the Menu selection window now includes a checkbox to choose if you want to use FT10’s own “static volume icon” or antiX’s default “volumeicon”. I’ll probably also add toggles to display the system resources on the toolbar (on by default) and maybe also the “Exit” button

Enjoy!

P.

I tried this one out and it still seems to be working; appreciate your effort, thanks!

--
            Brian Masinick

PPC

Hi, all!

I just created a .deb file for Ft10, version 2, beta1

Edit: This version is very near to 100% complete,
              – It includes the new “Enable FT10” window, simplified, and with 3 system menu choices (including the brand new “Centered menu”
              – It fixes a regression in the previous beta, that included an older version of the Calendar, by mistake
              – It fixes the problems with adding icons to the menus, caused by a change in app-select
              – It includes a lot less apps, since many of them are now part of antiX 23

Bugs:
              – I noticed a few – some Toolbar Management options crash the system tray (and the only way to get it back is log off and log back on)- I fixed most of the problems, but this still happens with: Changing the toolbar size; Changing the toolbar clock; Changing toolbar fonts. (It seems this was a bug that was always present and I just never noticed it because I usually did not have anything on the system tray!)
              – The Tiled menu includes an entry for DDG Search that was removed from FT10 (it is now integrated in Finder). It should be replaced with an antiX Cloud “Tile”
              – I’ll have to check why, at least IceWM, shows 2 volumeicons, when FT10 is disable and the user is returned to ICeWM. I’ve not checked other Window Managers…

P.

Forum Admin
              rokytnji

Well. That was easy.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Brian Masinick

Looks good.

--
                  Brian Masinick

PPC

I’ll try to fix the problems I can fix and then make this the final “ft10” version… but I’, not happy at all.
                    Any further work on this project depends on some improvements that jgmenu requires – it fails to work correctly with .desktop files that include commas, and also, for some reason, it replicates and even triplicates some occasional menu entries – that is the reason why I told anticapitalista that FT10 should not be used as default UI for antiX 23…
                    Any new different FT10 version other than the current one I’m working on, will probably return to the origins and just use rofi as it menu- it’s what folks over at MXFluxbox use (that will make both projects even more close than they currently are).

Edit: I was tired and frustrated, when I wrote this (I still am 🙁 ), but jgmenu problems seem to magically be solved by rebooting the computer, at least in antiX 21/22 (not tested yet on antiX 23.1, but I see no reason for not working there too)

P.

PPC

I think I solved all the bugs with the tint2 toolbar configuration scripts.
                      I fixed the DDG Tile, replaced it with antiX-cloud’s
                      Fixed a bug when closing the toolbar configuration menu, that killed the toolbar

Hum… I noticed that in my antiX 21/22 computer, I don’t have any problems with jgmenu… strange.

P.

Brian Masinick

I think I solved all the bugs with the tint2 toolbar configuration scripts.
                        I fixed the DDG Tile, replaced it with antiX-cloud’s
                        Fixed a bug when closing the toolbar configuration menu, that killed the toolbar

Hum… I noticed that in my antiX 21/22 computer, I don’t have any problems with jgmenu… strange.

P.

I’ll try to test this latest version today. Meanwhile, after correcting a few things myself, I noticed a couple of significant differences between antiX 23 and antiX 23.1. I don’t have any remaining antiX 21/22 systems running that I recall, though in theory I could pull out some older images. This I can tell you: over the past three to four years we’ve had more user interface changes than any other 3-4 year period of time that I remember; prior to this time, sure, every release had some differences, but between Xecure and you contributing, along with the work that the regular development team has been doing, there have been an incredible number of changes, particularly when you consider the number of people working on the project.

Because of these factors, it doesn’t surprise me that the behavior in some user interface components has also changed.

When I think about what I have personally tested as the past few releases come out, one area that I didn’t personally cover in a lot of detail was to go through the entire collection of applications with all of the available window managers. Then as far as functionality goes, I test in depth the applications that I personally use; I do remember at least invoking and doing some routine exploration of every app in the IceWM window; that took some time, but let’s get real; that is NOT a comprehensive test, so only if different people each chose certain apps and comprehensively tested them would we truly achieve full test coverage; because of this realization there is plenty that may have been missed at any release, despite honest efforts to test. The only way to do better is to get more people intimately involved in the test effort so that each person can cover a solid and complete set of tests for various applications.

--
                        Brian Masinick

PPC

The latest .deb package, along with a compressed file with all the source code is available over at https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/ft10-transformation

Notes:
                          – After a lot of testing, I noticed this: sometimes jgmenu shows some repeated entries when run for the first time- in my tested, once I logged off and logged on again, that problem went away (and seems not to return again).
                          – The problem jgmenu has processing .desktop entries that include a comma seems to be addressed in the latest version of the package (I’ve not yet built it, so I’ve not tested that fix).
                          – After uploading everything to the repo, I noticed a bug: localization for the “Select toolbar fonts” Menu seems to be missing – if I have any more stamina left on me, I’ll try to checkout what went wrong…

I’ve noticed no extra problems/bugs, everything else seems to be working well. If I’m able to fix the missing localization, I’ll send word to anticapitalista, after a week or so for testing, that he should build a new ft10 package (for antiX 23+ only)

Please download and test the latest .deb file, all useful feedback will be considered (but I won’t add any more features to FT10, consider it on “Feature freeze”)

Edit: the current beta, that seems “bug free” is over at https://gitlab.com/antix-contribs/ft10-transformation/-/raw/main/ft10-transformation-v2b1-t10-source-fixed-time-bug.zip

P.

vance

I have been using antiX for several years now. Antix21 is my current daily driver & I typically use the Plank dock. The icons on the dock have the dual purpose of allowing you to start the program & to tell if the program is already running. Is that feature possible with FT10 or FT11?
                            Thanks!!!!
                            Vance
                            BTW, I love antix!!!!

Attachments:
                          Viewing 12 posts - 46 through 57 (of 57 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.