Split: Slitaz – into – Better Linux Documentation

Forum Forums General Other Distros Split: Slitaz – into – Better Linux Documentation

• This topic has 28 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Aug 22-11:42 am by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    olsztyn

@ masinick:
    Again, just to point out – I have not noticed anything for antiX in dire need to be corrected as far as documentation is concerned. I am not familiar with MX so cannot comment on that. I started with antiX 17, so I am a rather new user but even older documentation appears still valid for antiX.
    In this period of time between version 17 and 19 antiX underwent incremental improvements but no radical changes to make core documentation no longer valid.
    In terms of concept of ‘Linux Wikipedia’ with ambition to be providing current and well composed information on Linux, this is a massive undertaking, which probably would require engagement of many experts. But it would be an extremely valuable resource as people would go there first, if just only to avoid being misled by massive amount of misinformation out there….
    Just my two cents…

BobC
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

I think it would make more sense to just have each distro have its own wiki, and if that distro feeds from another distro, then reference that parent distro’s wiki.

Thus because antiX and MX are Debian derivatives, the Debian wiki would be referenced as a secondary source of information.

My guess is that trying to get one giant “Linux” wiki would end up a mess, where the individual distros know their own systems. Different distro’s and even versions of those distros have different answers for the same problems. Imagine a newb trying to figure out which answer to work from?

I think the wiki is useful as a standard form of documentation and FAQ info that covers the simpler or most common problems, and more problems/solutions could be added as they occurred and were resolved.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I have an idea:

How about if each person who wrote in THIS THREAD about improving Linux documentation would personally volunteer to update ONE topic on some aged source?

I’ll sign up first, find something, and let you know what it is.
    Any other takers? I hope every person who commented on the need to improve the documentation takes up the challenge.
    I’ll tell you what: In addition to updating at least one topic myself, I will volunteer to proof read any topics cited here that are updated by someone in this forum.

I’m promising to put in the time. Will EVEN ONE of you back up your words, do just a little bit of research on one topic, update it, share it here, and I will help polish it and make it look very good (accurate, good spelling and grammar, sentence structure, etc.)

Who will sign up along with me?

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Here is one pretty comprehensive source of documentation that could use an update:
    http://wiki.tldp.org
    The main page is http://tldp.org

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Unix-and-Internet-Fundamentals-HOWTO/index.html is a document first written in 1999, most recently updated in 2015 by Eric S. Raymond, at esr@thyrsus.com. I’d say if we have any suggestions on changing this one, it’d be better to Email Eric rather than change it ourselves. It appears to be a fairly solid introduction, and when it says “UNIX”, it really is about UNIX and the Internet, but a lot of what he covers, in my opinion, is also useful for Linux.

Contact Eric directly with any suggested changes or comments.

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

More Eric S. Raymond documentation, again some stuff that has “age”, but much of it is very much still relevant.
    Contact Eric directly at esr@thyrsus.com —> http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Reading-List-HOWTO/

More on The Linux Documentation Project, including how to get involved:
    http://tldp.org/FAQ/LDP-FAQ/

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Q: Who contributes to LDP?

A: Application developers, who usually provide help files with their programs, often submit their documentation to LDP. Increasingly, new users solve their Linux issues and document their work to help others in the community.

Q: Why should I contribute?

A: Authors who want to help others by providing some documentation can do so through LDP. The documents should be under a free license, such as the GNU free documentation license, which ensures that everyone is benefited through your documents. Here are some of the major benefits when you contribute through LDP:

LDP hosts the document and ensures that it is available in many formats, including text, html, and pdf, so that Linux users can view it in a platform-independent manner.

LDP documents are available as part of many distributions and, hence, your documents reach a large community of Linux users.

Many of the Linux users who read your document may give you comments, suggestions, or even provide additional content that ensures the document is reliable and updated whenever necessary.

You may be providing some crucial help to users who come across the same issues that you have solved on your own.

It is a form of contribution to the Linux and open source community which depends on volunteers for its growth.

You may also publish any of LDP documents, including your own, and get monetary benefits from the whole process.

Q: How can I contribute?

A: If you know a particular topic well, first search the LDP Web site, http://www.tldp.org, for related documentation. If something is already available, you can contact the author through e-mail, which will probably be available within the document, and coordinate your work together. You can take care of the documents that are not maintained. If the topic is an entirely new one, subscribe to the Discussion mailing list at <discuss@en.tldp.org>, propose the topic to your peers first, and then gather feedback. After you receive feedback and complete the draft, you can submit the document by using the instructions that are in the LDP Author Guide, http://www.tldp.org/LDP/LDP-Author-Guide. Be sure to advise LDP that you followed the steps that are listed in the LDP Author Guide. This avoids having someone come back later and tell you that this subject was not acceptable (which is rarely the case). Contact the HOWTO coordinator who is listed at the LDP Web site if you require any expert help. When you follow the above steps, you are ensured the following benefits:

If any other person is interested in contributing, you can team up.

The topic that you wish to cover may already be available as part of some other documentation that you are not aware of; you may want to e-mail the list so that you can avoid repetitive work.

You can receive guidance in the form of help, tools, and other resources that can speed up your writing.

Because LDP is an informal organisation of volunteers, you do not need any kind of membership to contribute. Everyone is encouraged to help in whatever way they can.

http://tldp.org/FAQ/LDP-FAQ/index.html#AEN96

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

What if I have question that hasn’t been answered here?

A: If your question hasn’t been answered in this FAQ, please send e-mail to the Discussion list (<discuss@en.tldp.org>) after subscribing to it. More information is also available at http://www.tldp.org/mailinfo.html. If someone on the Discussion list answers the question and you feel that it should be included here, send a copy of both the question that you asked and the answer that you received to the author of this document. The author’s e-mail address is listed at the top of this page.

OK, any takers on updating any of this?

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Brian Masinick
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

This is the editor I often used when I was an active developer/maintainer.
    It’s not as difficult as you might think, especially if you use only the GUI-specific features.
    However, if you REALLY get into it, there is a LOT of very powerful things you can do with it, even on old hardware.
    http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Emacs-Beginner-HOWTO-1.html

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/StarOffice.html – anyone interested in taking this, perhaps copying it and citing it as a “starting point”, and write portions of a new document for the current tool – twenty + years later, LibreOffice?

Brian Masinick

olsztyn
    Helpful
    Up

How about if each person who wrote in THIS THREAD about improving Linux documentation would personally volunteer to update ONE topic on some aged source?

I would gladly volunteer to contribute. However just to emphasize, I am an average user of antiX so I may not have sufficient knowledge of the details, at least not comparable to seasoned antiX contributors and development team… But I would do my best… Not familiar with MX at all short of trying once in the past.
    If you are asking on the topic I would be able to contribute, this could be e.g. Live/Frugal. However there is already an extensive documentation on this and nothing can even come close to the excellent videos produced by d_o.
    From my area of modest experience with antiX Live/Frugal I would suggest to update some details highlighting enhancements and capabilities not previously documented to that extent and document a few intricacies, previously not highlighted in existing documentation.
    As an example I would suggest specifically to add:
    – Using extlinux boot process to boot multiple Frugal installs without the need for OS actually installed – developed by christophe
    – Using Grub process to do the same as above – developed recently by christophe
    – Highlight easy update of Frugals by replacing linuxfs file – as pointed out recently by anilkage
    – Various enhancements brought up recently by Xecure

For clarity of limitations in that area I would raise awareness of a few things:
    – Most of errors in Live-USB-Maker process execution result from either not perfect ISO source (as recent thread a few days ago), so not necessarily imperfect LUM code. From my experiece, some erratic LUM errors also may result from laptop being placed in dock. Taken out of dock – works fine with the same stick.
    – Awareness that latest update to LUM broke the capability of LUM to clone encrypted antiX, which results in error. The previous version worked fine.
    It would be beneficial to highlight this in documentation so users would not be surprised with such error and have at least one un-encrypted backup.

Just an idea what could be added/clarified…

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by olsztyn.
    • This reply was modified 10 months ago by olsztyn.
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

@olsztyn: I suggest that if you happen to find anything, either in antiX or any other Linux publication that is either inaccurate or unclear, I recommend contacting the author of the specific publication that is unclear, hard to understand, out of date, or inaccurate, and if you know the “answer” to whatever is “wrong” or outdated, please either write the update and send it to the author or at least describe what you see.

In this way, even if you are not “the expert” in a particular area, you are still helping those who document various features to make their content more readable, accurate, and understandable. I stand by my comment that even beginners can provide a surprising amount of assistance in this regard.

Any one of us, whether it is you, me, or many of the antiX participants, cannot, all by themselves, update and fix everything, but if enough people provide even one or two suggestions, it WILL collectively make a difference.

By the way, I have personally contributed to documentation, more than once. In particular, I have either authored or updated sections of the manual and Wiki in the MEPIS family (from which MX Linux and antiX have evolved. I don’t remember how recently I’ve personally rewritten anything here, but I usually provide anywhere from an hour to several hours per week of guidance, monitoring, and help in this forum; that is my current contribution to the project.

If I personally SEE something that needs to be changed, I’ll either change it or write to the author. I have not found anything that urgently needs a change. In order to update anything, I need to know where to find OLD work that needs correction or updates. So far, what I have reviewed looks just fine: I need specifics from those who claim stuff is either out of date or inaccurate, included what it is and where the inaccuracy is located. So far, if anyone has provided it, maybe it’s something I have not reviewed yet…

Brian Masinick

PDP-8
    Helpful
    Up

Re: Slitaz and documentation..

You know that if you fire up the built-in Midori or “TazWeb” browser, the home page culled from the internal filesystem has a link

“Discover the World with Slitaz | Need Help? See the documentation

Assuming you are online with ethernet or wifi, this takes you to:

http://www.slitaz.org/en/doc

There are 10 language translations there too.

So certainly one can’t say that Slitaz doesn’t provide docs and help. You can read it with the built-in browser, or of course use your own.

Maybe the seeming lack of forum activity is that most people using it are actually reading the docs, not needing to hit the forum! 🙂

• This reply was modified 10 months ago by PDP-8. Reason: typos
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.