Split: Timeshift can’t find the device

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Split: Timeshift can’t find the device

• This topic has 18 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Jun 1-12:55 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    eyekay234

@anticapitalista I have tried posting for help on the forum, sent an email to info and had to resort to sending this here to get help to an issue i have after upgrading antix using antiupdater. wordfence seems to be locking me out from posting.. can you help?

• This topic was modified 12 months ago by eyekay234. Reason: needed to mention someone
      • This topic was modified 12 months ago by caprea.
      PPC

@anticapitalista I have tried posting for help on the forum, sent an email to info and had to resort to sending this here to get help to an issue i have after upgrading antix using antiupdater. wordfence seems to be locking me out from posting.. can you help?

I’m not anticapitalista, but I developed antix-updater. What’s the problem? Maybe I can help ( hint: all the problems I ever had with all versions of antix-updater were, in fact, problems with apt – since antiX-updater is basically a GUI for apt, when it has any problem, almost with 100% certainty, is a problem with a repository or a package… See if running sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade from the terminal solves the problem…)

edited to suggest using sudo apt dist-upgrade and clarify my sentences.

P.

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by PPC.
        eyekay234

@ppc tried that and it didnt resolve it. I wanted to post the output of sudo inxi -zv8 so you can see what shows up but anytime i try to, i get an error from Wordfence

A potentially unsafe operation has been detected in your request to this site
          Your access to this service has been limited. (HTTP response code 403)

If you think you have been blocked in error, contact the owner of this site for assistance.

Block Technical Data

So I will attach the output as an attachment and add the write up i had wanted to add before below:

have an issue with my antix setup. I ran an update on my system using antix updater and then it finished updating. After updating, i cant get my wifi, bluetooth, graphics card display and even backlight manager to work as the backlight manager shows that there is no controller present which wasnt the case before. Now i installed timeshift months before hand and tried restoring and its displaying an error message that i am including a screenshot of in this.
          I then decided to check with gparted why the error message is displaying it cant find the device UID only to find the device exists. Can anyone help me out with how i can go about rectifying this issue? I will include the results of sudo inxi -zv8 command in this as well.

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by eyekay234. Reason: needed to mention someone and add more writeup
          caprea

eyekay234, please use inxi without sudo when posting here on the forum.Most likely the code 403 error will go away then.
            It’s the word data followed by colone,which triggers it.Without sudo it’s not part of the inxi output

Brian Masinick

We’ve been asking you to try running the terminal command
              sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade

Have you done this? If no, please try that before asking any other questions.

As far as what you have shared, I discovered several things in one file –
              outpu.txt – one of the outputs from inxi -zv8 – that are not very wise practices.

1) You have bullseye repos set, then further down the listing I also see Sid repos –

Here they are:
              Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/antix.list
              1: deb http://mxlinux.mirror.liquidtelecom.com/packages/antix/bullseye/ bullseye main nosystemd nonfree
              2: deb-src http://mxlinux.mirror.liquidtelecom.com/packages/antix/bullseye/ bullseye main nosystemd nonfree
              Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/bullseye-backports.list
              1: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-backports main contrib non-free
              Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian-stable-updates.list
              1: deb http://ftp.pt.debian.org/debian/ bullseye-updates main contrib non-free
              Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/debian.list
              1: deb http://ftp.pt.debian.org/debian/ bullseye main contrib non-free
              2: deb http://security.debian.org/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free

The Sid entry:
              Active apt repos in: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/sid.list
              1: deb http://deb.debian.org/debian sid main contrib non-free

That’s enough right there to potentially cause serious issues unless you are extremely careful;
              Debian, antiX, and other Debian-based distributions SPECIFICALLY recommend AGAINST using two branches of Debian releases.

Then to further complicate things there are more non-antiX, non-Debian repositories enabled than there are antiX or Debian repositories.
              There’s no supportable way we can help, other than to recommend REMOVING completely the Sid Debian repository and you can support the
              other software yourself. It’s very likely that the issue stems from that.

The other file, Outpu-1.txt appears to be a duplicate of Outpu.txt; it has the same contents and it uses sudo to generate the output.
              I just ran inxi -zv8 without sudo and it provides the same information.
              Yes, serial numbers and smartctl display with sudo, but we don’t need that information and the presence of sudo is one of the factors that is causing the forum software to struggle; attaching the output instead into a text file as you did helps, except for including the word sudo; it trips up entries.

Recommendations: first get rid of the Sid repository, then try opening a terminal, such as roxterm and then type the command sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade and see if it works.

If it works, that problem is solved; if it doesn’t, remove one of the application repositories, (example Brave), at a time, and rerun the command
              sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade. You can also change the && to sudo apt update; sudo apt dist-upgrade and see if that makes any difference.

Let us know if removing Sid helps, and if not, repeat, one by one, removing the other repositories; leave Debian Bulleye and antiX/MX repos intact.

--
              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

IF
                deb http://mxlinux.mirror.liquidtelecom.com/packages/antix/bullseye/ bullseye main nosystemd nonfree
                isn’t working right
                TRY
                deb http://la.mxrepo.com/antix/bullseye/ bullseye main nosystemd nonfree
                instead; I am 100% positive it works.
                deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free non-free-firmware
                also works.

--
                Brian Masinick

caprea

Brian and eyekay234, I tried to split the question from eyekay234 to it’s own thread, but seems like something went very wrong.
                  You can find the split topic if you look under -Tips and Tricks- for ‘Split:Timeshift can’t find the device’, but unfortunately not if you look under “Latest activities”

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/split-timeshift-cant-find-the-device/

-Seems to have resolved itself.-

eyekay234

@masinick i have tried removing it and running the codes as you explained but same result. it would have been easy for me to just restore using timeshift but its reporting not seeing the device with the specified UID in the screenshot attached but gparted reports that the partition with the specified UID exists

Brian Masinick

I’m not anticapitalista, but I developed antix-updater. What’s the problem? Maybe I can help ( hint: all the problems I ever had with all versions of antix-updater were, in fact, problems with apt – since antiX-updater is basically a GUI for apt, when it has any problem, almost with 100% certainty, is a problem with a repository or a package… See if running sudo apt update && sudo apt dist-upgrade from the terminal solves the problem…)

edited to suggest using sudo apt dist-upgrade and clarify my sentences.

P.

@eyekay234 What happens when you run the command sudo apt update; sudo apt dist-upgrade ?

You’ve ignored our requests to do this and tell us the result; please open a terminal and run this command to update your system.

--
                      Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

@masinick i have tried removing it and running the codes as you explained but same result. it would have been easy for me to just restore using timeshift but its reporting not seeing the device with the specified UID in the screenshot attached but gparted reports that the partition with the specified UID exists

Please run this again:
                        sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Save the result in a file called apt.txt and attach it so we can actually see the result; we’ve seen the other information and we’ve suggested that you have conflicting repositories defined and we keep receiving responses that don’t let us see that anything has been changed.

So please run the command and share that before saying anything else.

--
                        Brian Masinick

eyekay234

@masinick find attached the results of running the code/

Attachments:
                          Brian Masinick

@eyekay234 Thank you for sending the contents of the package update.
                            Based on the latest report, things are looking better than they were.
                            The Debian Sid repo was removed; that’s good and it appears to be helping.
                            The dropbox repository is a Sid repository; if Dropbox is now installed,
                            I recommend removing the http://linux.dropbox.com/debian sid line;
                            I believe it has InRelease and Release arguments; please remove the entire line.

The other notable thing; and it’s not a problem at this point, it’s merely
                            a maintenance cleanup matter, is that you have a large number of installed
                            packages that are no longer needed.

As the report indicates, the terminal console command sudo apt autoremove
                            will remove these excess packages.

Also, when you attached apt.txt using the method requested, it worked fine.
                            I think most things are better at this point; if you clean up these remaining
                            items, things will be clean and pristine.

The WordFence issue, as we discussed before, was caused at the forum software
                            level because the spam checking mechanisms are very sensitive to certain words;
                            once those words were removed in the postings (at least in the combinations
                            that seem to raise issues, that matter seems to have stopped.

Is there anything else that I’m missing from your original request?

Once the sudo apt update console command is executed (in the same session)
                            you should be able to use PPC’s utilities; if there’s anything else, let’s
                            go over them, one by one, using the techniques that have been helpful, that
                            is, run the tool or command that has a problem, then create an attachment;
                            text if it’s text output; hopefully we can resolve matters now that we’re
                            exchanging helpful information; thanks!

--
                            Brian Masinick

eyekay234

@masinick i have added the updated results after removing the dropbox repo and still no dice **sad**

The only thing missing would be why Timeshift cant find the partion where i kept the backups while the partition exists. Let me re-include the screenshots here as a reminder as well.

PPC

There are countless posts here on the forum about the dangers of messing with the Repositories, particularly adding stuff like Sid… Users do so at their own risk.
                                If you break your system you get to keep the pieces…
                                Is it possible that Timeshift got broken during some update with the wrong repository activated? Also, is it possible to boot from a live pen-drive with Timeshift and use that with the backup on the hard drive and restore it? (Sorry, I don’t use Timeshift). If the answer is “no”, then, probably your safest bet is to back up your documents, backup a list of all your installed applications and reinstall antiX, always being very careful not to mess with the repositories. The nice thing about Linux is that it gives users complete freedom, even freedom to completely mess up the system. It happened to me a couple of times.

Edit: I got curious and checked out Timeshift works and yes, you can restore backups that are on other drives… I just hope you made backups BEFORE messing your system.

P.

eyekay234

@ppc i set timeshift to make daily backups and keep 10 copies of the backups. Thats how paranoid i am. I just reboot the system and everything worked fine. Then i made a fresh backup of the working system on timeshift. Shutdown the system and it went back to the same old issues. So now i can clearly say that it just happens sometimes and then doesnt happen (The mess up)

even trying to reduce the screen brightness comes with an error that says cant find controllers.

A manually reinstall after backing up the system somewhere might just be the only option left.(Hoping that isnt the case)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.