Split: Timeshift can’t find the device

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks Split: Timeshift can’t find the device

• This topic has 18 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Jun 1-12:55 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    caprea

In your apt.txt there are estimated over 500 packages that are no longer required and can get autoremoved.
      This clearly indicates that several packages have already been removed previously during the upgrade.
      That’s the most important part to pay attention to before saying Yes to an upgrade. Are packages going to be removed and if so which ones and why.Especially with sid.
      Your system is broken.I would reinstall. You could look in /var/log/apt what was removed, but probably this will not help.

PPC

even trying to reduce the screen brightness comes with an error that says cant find controllers.

That points me to being almost certain that your current OS installation is beyond salvation. Depending of how much space you have on your hard drive, you could repartition, create a partition of 10/20Gb and install antiX there. From that partition you can then access all your documents on the home of the previous OS. I did that for yours, after installing antiX on a computer that already had MX-linux. I created a bookmark in zzzfm to access my old home, and lived like that for some years, until the computer died on me.
        That way you get a working system and full access to all your previous documents.
        If you have many documents on your home (or big files, like movies, etc) I would recommend the creation of a partition (called something like “Docs”) to store all that. that’s not the same as having a partition with your home on it, since that may cause problems, using that home across multiple OSes…
        Select the best course of action for your particular situation and be careful.

Comment: you are “paranoid” enough to have 10 backups of your system but still had the Sid repository enabled and updated your system with it enabled? Hum… That last part is the opposite of being “paranoid”… perhaps being “excessively adventurous”? If you want to have software that is not in the current repository, ask for it or use package installer, appimages, flatpaks, etc… Do not enable extra repositories, not unless you really know what you are doing and that you risk breaking your system. I’ve been using Linux for over 20 years, most of that time, Debian derivatives, and I think I never risked doing that…

P.

eyekay234

@ppc @caprea I made the backup with the sid repos removed as well as the dropbox as well. The backup was also made after the old repos were removed and everything pointing to it gone. I am just hoping that it wasnt caused by me keeping the default things like grub configurations while i was trying to do the distro upgrade

I cant seem to explain what is wrong but after a few reboots, the system displays and functions well and when i shut down and try again, it shows the messed up look with wifi and some other things not functioning.

Guess i will just have to do a fresh install or live with it like this .

Thanks for the help everyone

• This reply was modified 12 months ago by eyekay234. Reason: Forgot to add an additional information
          Brian Masinick

@eyekay234 It’s difficult to determine precisely what is wrong; however we have to keep in mind that the Sid packages that have been installed *might* be blocking the correct update of other important packages. Though I’ve seen a couple reports now, what I can directly see is that a couple of the added repos for the additional apps don’t have corresponding repository signatures like the others do; that only generates warnings, but the reason for the signatures is to validate the repositories; without that, it’s much easier for a scammer to insert fraudulent software. While that’s not quite as common with Linux software as it is with the most popular consumer systems, it can happen and it has happened in a few cases.

If you wish, you can use what you have and work with what you have, but for future consideration here is what I would suggest: Most disks these days have plenty of capacity, so it is not that difficult to put multiple different distributions or even different operating systems entirely on the same physical hardware. Like anything else, it takes a bit of learning, a bit of practice, maybe even one or two failures, but here’s what you can potentially gain:
            1) you can learn how to safely and effectively multi-boot your system.
            2) you can have a clean, simple, supported version of antiX in your mix
            3) you can install some other system that CAN handle that software – for example, if you need stuff that uses Debian Sid repositories, how about installing siduction as one of the alternative distributions? I install it frequently and it’s a GREAT complement to antiX; I use antiX for the light, simple, efficient stuff, and when I say “simple”, I’m referring to the modest size so that the programs can run on low spec or old spec models; siduction can run cutting edge stuff, so it’s a great complement to the opposite extreme of a standard antiX setup.
            4) yet another option is to customize a specific antiX setup and go 100% Sid; anticapitalista and steves0 are two people I can think of that have sid implementations of their antiX distributions; I used to have either two or three instances of antiX; one of them was an antiX Core instance that I changed to Sid and also added a desktop, an Xfce desktop; it was remarkably similar to the first release of MX Linux, except for the visual differences that the MX team created as opposed to my own personal changes. One thing that team did and I did is that we used consistent repos; if it’s Stable, make ’em all stable; if it’s Testing, make ’em all Testing, if it’s Sid, make ’em ALL Sid!

I’ll also tell you that I HAVE deliberately mixed repos and packages in the past; to some degree it’s possible to mix them, but eventually something won’t match up; if you know what you’re doing, you can get some stuff to work. I eventually *blew up* that system, but I had to try hard. What would happen is that come components wouldn’t install, but if you backed out the blocking package and reinstalled a working package, it could be *fixed*. When it gets irreparably broken is when networking breaks; the only way to *fix* that is to manually insert working packages; at that point, it’s BROKEN without doing a LOT of “magic tricks”!

I’m telling you all of this from experience, and also from a person (me) who had plenty of backup and alternative systems, so breaking one wasn’t a problem for me. Unless you can diagnose the problems yourself, doing such exercises is only going to frustrate you. If, however, you can solve things 100% on your own and if you have other systems and are willing to rebuild any broken messes, then this can be a great way to figure out what you can get away with and what you can’t (and why).

--
            Brian Masinick

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.