Keep antiX 17.5 or use later version?

Forum Forums Orphaned Posts antiX-17 “Heather Heyer, Helen Keller” Keep antiX 17.5 or use later version?

Tagged: 

• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Sep 9-3:14 pm by marcelocripe.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sunniy

Hi!
    for my very old PC with 32 Bit CPU and only 512 MB RAM is only antiX 17.5 advisable? Or there are later versions will working?
    Thx! and sry for my english and don`t hit the right themes here..sry
    sunniy

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by christophe.
    • This topic was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by christophe. Reason: Moved from wrong subforum
    christophe
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

One of the great things about antiX is that you can try it out as a live usb first. So try antiX 21 to see if it works well on your computer.

If your computer can’t boot directly from a USB, then set the antiX live cd boot option “from=usb” to continue the boot process from a live usb (have both antiX cd & USB plugged in).

But you never know till you try it out.

Plus, Debian has dropped support (or will soon) for the version antiX-17 is based upon. So it’s advisable to try out newer versions.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

Hi!
    for my very old PC with 32 Bit CPU and only 512 MB RAM is only antiX 17.5 advisable? Or there are later versions will working?

Hello,
    I have several 32-bit cpu computers with only 512 MB of ram. I run antiX21 32-bit system on those computers. For watching youtube videos, I use ytfzf with the latest yt-dlp. I also use the links2 and lynx text browsers. For modern browsing with images, I use seamonkey on those computers.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

I had 3 32-bit computer systems until about 2015 and they always worked great with antiX.

I presently have 5 systems running antiX 21, an Acer Aspire 5 laptop, a Dell Inspiron 5558 laptop, a Lenovo X201 laptop, an HP d5000 series and an old HP laptop.

All of them currently work well with antiX; the older equipment only works well with antiX and MX Linux but the older the equipment is the easier it is to notice how much better they work with antiX!

Brian Masinick

Robin
    Helpful
    Up

The problem aren’t the 32 bit, these systems can run as fast as 64 bit ones, and make use of a given amount of RAM way more efficently than 64bit systems in many standard use cases. But you’ll probably find out that the small 512MB will limit the things you can do with this PC. E.g. modern Web-Browsers are quite memory consuming beasts. So if you can upgrade to 1.5 or better 2GB, you’ll have probably way more fun with it in case you plan to use it for everyday usage. This is true particularly if your graphics adapter doesn’t have its own memory but shares memory with the CPU. Then the PC will run like a bag full of nuts due to the small amount of RAM.

Nevertheless, antiX is a great choice for your hardware. It brings out best in your restricted hardware.

Concerning choice of antiX version: Try antiX 21 first. If you find everything works fine, keep it. Only if you find specific pieces of your hardware not supported any longer (like some nvidia graphics adapters, which fail on the nouveau driver, and the manufacturer Nvidia stopped providing their proprietary blobs to the linux community to allow the original nvidia driver get updated to recent Xorg), then you’ll have to go back to antiX 19. Using antiX 17.x shouldn’t be necessary for default tasks, but some specific applications might only be available for this system base in 32 bit. Some program writers dropped support meanwhile, making the recent versions of their programs fail on this hardware. But this problem isn’t antiX specific. In some cases you can get away with a backport or forwardport of an existing 32bit package of another debian version.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

I still use antiX 17.4 on at least one system. But I do also have a P-III system with only 512MB of RAM and I have the latest antiX 21 running fine. I had to put a hold on SeaMonkey so it won’t update since it no longer supports non-SSE2 CPU’s. But I can also run Netsurf and Dillo and Links2.

Robin is correct in that some video cards may not work in antiX 21. But try it on a DVD Live or USB. If it works on live it will work as an installed system. Sometimes you will need to use Vesa graphics.

Seaken

Sunniy
    Helpful
    Up

thanks a lot for all your comments..its good to know to get help here ..Sunniy

marcelocripe
    Helpful
    Up

Hello Sunniy.

Welcome to antiX Linux and the forum.

I don’t know how to write in English and I send my texts translated by the internet translator. I hope you can understand everything, if your native language is not English, please translate my original Brazilian Portuguese text directly into your language with the help of internet translators.

Regardless of your level of knowledge about GNU/Linux, I recommend you read these excellent tutorials created by @PPC:

What is antiX and how to try it out or install it.
    Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie.
    How-to install applications – 2020 version.
    How to: correctly use antiX forum.

When I first started using antiX, I read the tutorials that PPC created, these readings saved me a lot of time and I think it saves time for any new antiX user. Your time will not be wasted with these readings, everything will seem to be much easier than you could imagine. You won’t waste your time searching the internet or even creating new topics, on the contrary, you will gain a lot of time with these readings.

I recommend you try out desktops that have “zzz” in their name. I usually use zzz-IceWM or zzz-JWM or zzz-Fluxbox (each of these desktops has its own characteristics and consumes more or less resources), zzzFM will be the default file manager for your desktop, it it is very similar to the other file managers of other GNU/Linux distributions and Windows XP. To access other antiX workspaces, click on Menu, Desktop, Other Desktops and click on the workspace name, instantly the workspace will be loaded.

Whenever you need to ask for help or technical support in this forum, please explain in detail what is happening, don’t mince words, be thorough when writing, tell your computer characteristics such as make and model. If possible, post the result of the command $ inxi -Fxz from the terminal, copy and paste here in the message of the topic that you are going to create in this forum.

When you start a topic or participate with a post, remember to check the option “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”, by checking this option, you will receive a message in your email box whenever there are replies from topic in question.

“Hi!
    Thx! and sry for my english and don`t hit the right themes here..sry”
    Follow our colleagues’ advice on increasing the amount of RAM and using antiX 21.

marcelocripe
    (Original text in Brazilian Portuguese language)

– – – – –

Olá Sunniy.

Seja bem-vindo(a) ao antiX Linux e ao fórum.

Eu não sei escrever em idioma Inglês e envio os meus textos traduzidos pelo tradutor da internet. Eu espero que você consiga compreender tudo, caso o seu idioma nativo não seja o Inglês, por favor, traduza o meu texto original em idioma Português do Brasil diretamente para o seu idioma com a ajuda dos tradutores da internet.

Independentemente do seu nível de conhecimento sobre GNU/Linux, eu recomendo você ler estes excelentes tutoriais criados pelo @PPC:

<a href=”https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/what-is-antix-and-how-to-try-it-out-or-install-it/”>What is antiX and how to try it out or install it</a>.
    <a href=”https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/short-essential-how-to-list-for-the-complete-linux-newbie/”>Short essential how-to list for the complete Linux newbie</a>.
    <a href=”https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-install-applications-2020-version/”>How-to install applications – 2020 version</a>.
    <a href=”https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/how-to-correctly-use-antix-forum/”>How to: correctly use antiX forum</a>.

Quando eu comecei a utilizar o antiX, eu li os tutoriais que o PPC criou, estas leituras me pouparam muito do meu tempo e acho que poupa o tempo de qualquer novo usuário do antiX. O seu tempo não será perdido com estas leituras, tudo parecerá ser muito mais fácil do que você poderia imaginar. Você não perderá o seu tempo com pesquisas na internet ou até mesmo em criar novos tópicos, ao contrário, você ganhará muito tempo com estas leituras.

Eu recomendo você experimentar as áreas de trabalho que possuem “zzz” em seu nome. Eu costumo utilizar o zzz-IceWM ou zzz-JWM ou zzz-Fluxbox (cada uma destas áreas de trabalho possuem características próprias e consomem mais ou menos recursos), o zzzFM será o gerenciador de arquivos padrão da sua área de trabalho, ele é muito semelhante aos outros gerenciadores de arquivos das outras distribuições GNU/Linux e do Windows XP. Para acessar as outras áreas de trabalho do antiX, clique no Menu, Área de Trabalho, Alternar Entre as Áreas de Trabalho e clique sobre o nome da área de trabalho, instantaneamente a área de trabalho será carregada.

Sempre que você precisar solicitar ajuda ou suporte técnico neste fórum, explique com detalhes o que está acontecendo, não economize as palavras, seja minucioso ao escrever, informe as características do seu computador, como a marca e o modelo. Se for possível, poste o resultado do comando <em>$ inxi -Fxz</em> do terminal, copie e cole aqui na mensagem do tópico que você for criar neste fórum.

Quando você iniciar algum tópico ou participar com alguma postagem, lembre-se de marcar a opção “Notify me of follow-up replies via email”, marcando esta opção, você receberá uma mensagem na sua caixa de e-mail sempre que houver respostas do tópico em questão.

“Hi!
    Thx! and sry for my english and don`t hit the right themes here..sry”
    Siga as orientações dos nossos colegas sobre aumentar a quantidade de memória RAM e de utilizar o antiX 21.

marcelocripe
    (Texto original em idioma Português do Brasil)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.