SSD HDD interesting reading

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks SSD HDD interesting reading

• This topic has 2 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated Jan 14-3:41 pm by Xunzi_23.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Xunzi_23

No snakeoil but some pretty good explanations to be found on below site.

Iam not advertising the services just pointing to a sane source of information.
      Sadly Kingston seems to have become less informative over time. They had a really
      good FAQ for a while.

https://24hourdata.com/data-recovery/solid-state-drive-data-recovery/

I do not fully agree with
      Because of the complexity of these drives and recovery procedures, it’s important to call experts etc.

First do the power connect and wait to allow the controller to clean up the drive.
      That may or may not cause data loss. If you have no backup your decision. Pay or go to a temple
      and ask the biggest scammers on the planet for help.

What is little mentioned anywhere is updating SSD Software.
      If a manufacturer offers updates it is intended to correct faults.

Or in some cases to hide them and save warranty cost. See recent antics from a
      leading south korean company.

Make a backup before performing any software update on a storage device.

• This topic was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Xunzi_23.
      stevesr0

Hi Xunzi_23,

When I accidentally deleted my home directory last year on one of my systems, I checked and basically got the message that WITHOUT A BACKUP, the deleted stuff is immediately and permanently gone. I looked at some data recovery sites and realized that (a) they said that also but (b) were willing to try to recover data at HIGH prices.

When I read the link you posted, it seemed to me that they were primarily addressing drive failure rather than data deletion.

So, I am really happy that antiX offers a trash can option in its zzzFM file manager, as a basic protection.

Xunzi_23

Deleted stuff is immediately and permanently gone. Snake oil seller talk.

What is overwritten is lost Or on HDD requires a very expensive forensic process.
          On SDD it is lost when the cells are erased, a cell life reducing process the controller
          is/should be programmed to perform as little as possible.

If a drive fails recovery is actually likely to be easier as the data is probably frozen
          from time of defect occurrence. Easy money in many cases, especially for HDD.
          But
          On an SSD the controller may/will, if power is still being delivered, do its housekeeping,
          that process will permantly erase data marked for deletion.

But preserves data unless it is corrupted or the controller or its programming are faulty.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.