Start Menu Button (Default theme)

Forum Forums antiX-development Graphics Start Menu Button (Default theme)

• This topic has 10 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Jun 13-1:39 am by Anonymous.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Maybe somebody might like it.

@noClue: very nice.
    If was to nick pick I could ask for a version with a transparent background, to fit better in a non default theme? 🙂
    It was just an idea, noClue, now I’m using only icons, on my jwm antiX desktop bar.
    I once made a icon that ripped off MX logo icon, adding a tiny “a” inside the white triangle space and run with that as my menu icon for a while… Only when I clicked the menu, I realized I was not using my MX desktop :-(, so now I’m using one that kind of reminds me of the Windows logo, just for kicks.
    What are your thoughts on using the distro name as a menu icon? It seems to be a strange choice: for example on antiX, IceWM it just says “Menu”, but JWM says “antiX”. I never understood why the different choices… You are into design, do you have any insight on that?
    Way off-topic: but related to the distro “design”- on a thread I lost, someone suggested going with an “ant” theme for wallpapers, and you ran with it. I thought it was brilliant. Here are some more possibilities:
    https://stmed.net/animal/ant-wallpapers , https://unsplash.com/search/photos/ant and, of course https://wallpapercave.com/w/wp1810496 🙂

P.

If was to nick pick I could ask for a version with a transparent background, to fit better in a non default theme?

Well, I don’t mind making you a transparent version, it’s just … if I understand it correct, it wouldn’t work.
    It’s not an overlay and it’s ‘.xpm’ which might or might not work.

I had some screenshots in another thread about IceWM & Transparencies so, please first check those 4 screenshots here:
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/customizing-and-managing-icewm-themes/page/2/#post-22257
    https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/customizing-and-managing-icewm-themes/#post-21933

What are your thoughts on using the distro name as a menu icon?

Sanity.

I think, I explained it in another thread already and, that’s why the ‘PRobOS thread’ (when and if I feel like continuing my lessons on how to build a usable OS).

However, here’s the answer.

WTF is Menu?

It’s language dependant (and it has a double meaning too — does my OS wants me to choose my supper menu?).

If I install my OS on German, I’d like to have/get ‘Menü‘ and not ‘Menu’.

Now imagine ‘メニュー’, ‘菜單’, ‘בתפריט’, ‘मेन्यू’ and what they would like to have. 😉

I also don’t want to have the ‘Applications’ because there’s no such thing.

It’s called ‘Anwendungen’ in my case, whatever else for the others.

Word ‘antiX’ one could sell as logo. Like the ‘Kodak’.

Language independent.

Logo (if there is one) is a better option for the start menu. See 1st and 2nd screenshot.

(NOT for every menu or submenus or … imagine having a symbol for ‘Paste’, ‘Paste in place’, ‘Paste in new Layer’ …)

Now … does antiX has (usable) a logo? 😉

That leaves us with only two possibilities left:

1. One takes something that’s ‘universal’ (See 3rd screenshot).

2. One makes something that’s not distro logo but, has some relation.

(See other screenshots)

I think, I explained it in another thread already and, that’s why the ‘PRobOS thread’ (when and if I feel like continuing my lessons on how to build a usable OS).

Seventeen “another threads already” and, in today’s lesson, the Galactic Emissary of the Clueberry School of Design demonstrates

Let’s ignore accessibility (red-green colorblindness) and confound the non-colorblind with our kewl new “red means START” association.

Fussing over pretty colors, dumbing-down the O/S with a goal of enticing “normie” consumer-only users…

Whoa! That’s fahrvergnügen…

and the Volkswagen Jetta has plenty of it, let me tell ya.

I’m talking about crisp European handling, brisk acceleration, room for five adults, not to mention that huge trunk!

Don’t take my word for it (although I _am_ a professional) sample some fahrvergnügen in a Jetta today!

fahrvergnügen ~~ it’s what makes a car a Volkswagen

urbandictionary :: fahrvergnügen

Fahrvergnügen is slang for Jägermeister; a German liqueur that tastes like camel armpits.

… “normie” consumer-only users …

How many Einstein’s and Tesla’s have you met?

And how many “normie’s”?

Reality is real.

“Finally, from so little sleeping and so much reading, his brain dried up and he went completely out of his mind.”
    (Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra)

@ noClue: thanks, everything you said made some sense to me, in particular the language differences. In portuguese, we deal ok with the word “menu”, no problem.
    But I also don’t like using the distro’s name as a “start menu” (personal taste, I guess). Some icons I belive make sense and I used them myself: the debian logo, the Desktop logo (like JWM’s- but I find it ugly), the one that looks like “…” (it makes sense- it’s like saying “click here for some more options”), also the one you used in https://www.antixforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/06/Screenshot_20190612_134435.png , or a variant of it meaning several icons side by side (four squares, or even the Windows logo everyone recognizes)- but this last option makes more sense in a Windows 10 like start menu, where you do, in fact see icons side by side… There are some very good variants of “applications menu” icons (I know you don’t kike that word, sorry) included out of the box in antiX 19 A2…
    The lack of a distinctive antiX logo (not the distro’s name in a particular font), in my opinion makes it troublesome to find a clear “start menu” icon…
    Thanks for your input

P.

Follow the White Rabbit or ask the Mad Cat …

it’s fine, we can disagree and hopefully have some some fun along the way. I do respect your acumen & commend your effort !

🙂 🙂 🙂

Where’s the style? 😉

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.