Step by step guide to install antiX-Base

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Step by step guide to install antiX-Base

• This topic has 44 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Jan 3-12:53 am by seaken64.
Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    anilkagi
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Hello @Seaken64,

I incorporated all the suggestions you had made, except the one discussed below. Due to some technical glitch, it was not possible to edit the original post. The newly edited post had to be posted as a new thread as per directions from the moderators. It is pending moderation. The moderators have suggested that the two threads will be merged and any extraneous matter removed.

This is the link to the new thread: https://www.antixforum.com/?post_type=topic&p=41988#post-41989

——-

Hello @Skidoo, @Xecure, @Seaken64 and @Masinick,

I tried the methods suggested by you to address the issue of desktop Menu entry of applications installed from outside the repositories. Further I found related discussions in these threads:

https://antixlinux.com/forum-archive/solved-customising-icewm-menus-t7065.html
    https://antixlinux.com/forum-archive/solved-jwm-menu-after-update-reorganizes-antix-men-t5903.html

As a trial instance, I checked this for the application called ‘Dukto’, an opensource GPLv2 multi-platform file and text transfer tool. Installed it with the .deb package for the version 6 – “dukto_6.0-1_amd64.deb” downloaded from here;

download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/colomboem/xUbuntu_16.04/amd64/dukto_6.0-1_amd64.deb

I installed it on a fresh VM of antiX-Base.

Luckily I did not have to create the .desktop file in the /use/share/applications. It was already there, created by the system/installer.

However, even after choosing to;

1] 'Refresh Menu' from menu or, 
    2] 'show applications' from the Control center or,
    3] giving the command "desktop-menu --write-out-global" or,
    4] copying the dukto.desktop file from /use/share/applications/ to ~/.local/share/applications/,

did not help resolve the issue.

Moreover, it is possible to launch the application from both Terminal and AppSelect and it works perfectly whe launched from both.

However, when I launch it from the terminal I get the following o/p, and my desktop is the default ROX-IceWM.if it is of any help to resolve this.

$ dukto
    qrc:/qml/dukto/BuddyListElement.qml:74:16: QML Image: Cannot open file:///: Path is a directory

What could be the problem?

Please throw more light on this?

Thanks & Regards

AA BB
    Helpful
    Up

Is there a link to the final edited version containing suggested additions, etc ?

Anonymous
    Helpful
    Up

I installed
    download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/colomboem/xUbuntu_16.04/amd64/dukto_6.0-1_amd64.deb

What could be the problem?

The problem seems to be that you can lead a horse to water, but ya can’t make ’em drink.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Is there a link to the final edited version containing suggested additions, etc ?

You can see what changes have been made here:
    https://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/How_to_install
    and even add your own changes and suggestions.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

AA BB
    Helpful
    Up

excellent idea and I cant thing of anything more essential to any AntiX user who wants to build a system per their individual needs.

IMO one of the best elements is expressed by “Let us together keep this guide dynamic and evolving.”
    Hopefully, access to this “evolving” document will be hard to miss when an AntiX users log into the forum.

Bruce7777
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you for your guide it is very useful!!
    This is my first try with antiX.
    Mint lmde and Debian is where I am coming from.

The download and verification to someone new to antiX is confessing.
    Please explain the mirrors and the ISOs
    I downloaded the wrong ISO and had problems,
    until I went to the bottom of the mirror and found the right ISO.
    Mint does a much better job setting up its download pages so you get the right ISO.

I am thankful for your verification guide.
    The antiX download page should have had the instructions for verification.
    Instead I had to join your form and look for your post.

Bruce7777
    Helpful
    Up

I have been working on verification for an hour now, no luck, there must be a better way.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Try taking a look at https://antixlinux.com/mirmon-packages/ for a list of package mirror sites.
    I’m in the USA; mxlinux.csail.mit.edu is one decent site for me; your choices may vary, but if you are having problems, try that one and see if it works for you.

Brian Masinick

Bruce7777
    Helpful
    Up

md5sum and sha256sum match
    Your instruction to get the keyserver do not work or
    write in away I do not understand.
    This is not a helpful guide.

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Regarding different types of images, we have four categories:

FULL – while still a fairly “lean”, efficient distribution, the full variety provides a complete system.
    BASE – this one is a good alternative to FULL; it still provides a working system, but you can choose the collection of packages you want to use by adding your own with the “Package Installer”.

These first two are the ones that most people will start with. However, if you want to do everything yourself, we also offer these:

CORE – this one installs only core distribution packages; you have to customize the rest of the software yourself. Good choice for a do it yourselfer who knows what software they want in their system.
    NET – this one is the most minimal of them all, and you need a wired network in order to build this software; another good choice, IF you have a wired network available, want the most minimal configuration and you want to put virtually everything together yourself.

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

md5sum and sha256sum match
    Your instruction to get the keyserver do not work or
    write in away I do not understand.
    This is not a helpful guide.

What else needs to be changed? Any specific suggestions you can make would be helpful; thanks.

Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

While it may not cover everything, some time ago Xecure found a useful video that a person created, and it shows how to perform several tasks and helps new antiX users become familiar with the system.

Here’s that link again; I hope it helps. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-cijMgLJbk

Brian Masinick

Bruce7777
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you.

seaken64
    Helpful
    Up

Hi @Bruce7777, welcome to antiX.

Interestingly I found Debian and LMDE after antiX. I came from Slackware and I felt the same as you in the beginning. All things are foreign and difficult to understand until it becomes familiar to us. I read and re-read the instruction for building packages in Slackware but I never quite understood it. I ended up switching to antiX and using the apt packaging system.

I hope you can work through the difficulties and eventually find your way in antiX. Brian, skidoo, Xecure and many others have been extremely helpful to me and other newbies. I’m sure you will find the help you need. And maybe there is a better way to help people find the right iso, etc. Maybe you can help us make that better for others who want to give antiX a try.

Seaken64

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.