Strange behaviour

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Strange behaviour

• This topic has 2 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Mar 12-10:07 pm by rokytnji.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Hector_A

Hello everybody!

I’ve been using AntiX for several years, currently on antiX-21_x64-full.

Now I’m writing this in my old HP Mini which is my backup for emergencies. In this machine the kernel is 5.10.57.
      This happens because my main computer is a Dell XPS9350 laptop which also had the same O.S. version, albeit with kernel 4. Had to update kernel to 5 in that machine because it was required to run my CAD software’s latest version.

Unfortunately, that laptop started to behave erratically after the update. The symptom was the freezing of the cursor (whether using the keyboard or mouse). After a few seconds, it returned to normal but issued the characters previously typed. It looked as if a buffer discharged its contents when the freezing stopped.

Has anyone experienced this annoying behaviour? If so, was a cure available?

The machine is now being inspected by my techician and I’m waiting for a diagnose. In the meantime, I decided to inquire for ideas on the issue. Will appreciate any suggestions/solutions if available. Thanks.

Robin

Try 6.1 or 6.5 kernel series instead, or even 6.6 series from the debian backports? Not all kernels work well with all hardware…

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Forum Admin
        rokytnji

Try booting up live antiX and run gparted and unmount and then do a check on partitions.

You can also run smarctl to check drive health while running your install or in a live session.

From one of my posts

$ sudo smartctl -l error /dev/sda
          [sudo] password for harry: 
          smartctl 7.3 2022-02-28 r5338 [x86_64-linux-6.1.60-antix.1-amd64-smp] (local build)
          Copyright (C) 2002-22, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
          === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
          SMART Error Log Version: 1
          No Errors Logged
          harry@23.1runit:~
          $ sudo smartctl -H /dev/sda
          smartctl 7.3 2022-02-28 r5338 [x86_64-linux-6.1.60-antix.1-amd64-smp] (local build)
          Copyright (C) 2002-22, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org
          === START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
          SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

Your drives and partitions might not be labled /dev/sda or what ever

sudo blkid

Will tell you what that /dev is labled as.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
          I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
          Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
          How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.