Suggesting the inclusion of a powerful power management tool in Antix Linux

Forum Forums General Software Suggesting the inclusion of a powerful power management tool in Antix Linux

• This topic has 18 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Apr 24-9:04 pm by rokytnji.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    MasterPythoner

Dear Antix developers,

I would like to suggest the inclusion of a powerful power management tool in the Antix control center. Currently, it appears that Antix lacks a comprehensive solution for managing power settings, or at least I’m unfamiliar with the proper method.

Incorporating a dedicated power management utility, such as xfce4-power-manager, into the control center could greatly enhance the user experience, particularly for laptop users who need to monitor and control battery usage effectively.

I believe that addressing this aspect would be a valuable addition to the next version of Antix, making it more user-friendly and feature-rich.

Thank you for considering this suggestion. I appreciate your efforts in continuously improving Antix for the community.

Forum Admin
      anticapitalista

How well does xfce4-power-manager work on antiX? Is it reliable? Do users need to do anything else after installing it?
        Please give us details.
        Thanks

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

MasterPythoner

I haven’t installed xfce4-power-manager yet. What I meant was that the tool expected to be present in antiX should be as simple and powerful as xfce4-power-manager, offering all its capabilities.

For example, the user should be able to easily set the duration after which the system should suspend. Or, after the system suspends, the tool should have the option to prompt or not prompt for a password upon resume.

The tool expected from antiX should have these capabilities and provide them to the user in a straightforward manner. I used xfce4-power-manager in MX Linux, and I was very satisfied with it.

Forum Admin
          anticapitalista

Well if you are not prepared to test something you suggest, why should we include it?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

MasterPythoner

Since migrating to antiX, I have adopted a strict approach for installing packages and tools. I only use the default tools and run the required software as AppImages.

For tools like git, zsh, tint2, and others that I needed, I have manually copied and installed them from the MX Linux installation on a different partition or built the sources from GitHub and used them.

In fact, I create most of the required functionalities myself using Python.

The reason I haven’t installed xfce4-power-manager might be this approach.

To summarize, I haven’t even used the sudo apt update command or updated the repositories.

My suggestion had two parts:

1- I want a tool specifically designed for antiX with capabilities similar to xfce4-power-manager, rather than necessarily including xfce4-power-manager as the default.
              2-This tool should be tailored for antiX and provide the desired power management features in a straightforward manner.

anti-apXos

For tools like git, zsh, tint2, and others that I needed, I have manually copied and installed them from the MX Linux installation on a different partition

So I guess you could do this for the xfce-power-manager, too, then.

In fact, I create most of the required functionalities myself using Python.

Or this. Power management on Linux is mostly just interaction with kernel interfaces available on the sysfs, so it’s pretty easy to implement custom commands/shortcuts/gui using python or bash scripts if you’re familiar with either.

MasterPythoner

You’re right, developing a custom power management solution using Python or bash scripts is feasible. I’m actively working on it, and if I can achieve satisfactory results, I’ll be glad to share my work in this thread. However, incorporating an all-in-one power management utility into AntiX could be an excellent idea for the next release. Having a robust, default power manager tool would greatly beneficial.

PPC

Hi- I agree with the need for a power management tool, specially if it’s a light one, created for antiX.
                    There are already some power management tools included in antiX 23.1:
                    – Icewm include a toolbar battery indicator
                    – Control Centre now includes a GUI that allows to suspend the computer, if it’s idle for a set number of minutes (by default 15).

What urgently requires being implemented? A script that users can run on the background, to warn when the battery level is below a certain point and also allow the computer to automatically suspend if the batery is below a critical level…

P.

MasterPythoner

– Control Centre now includes a GUI that allows to suspend the computer, if it’s idle for a set number of minutes (by default 15).

How good it would be if there was a checkbox option at the bottom of this GUI to prompt for password after resuming from suspend.

MasterPythoner

I have set Autosuspend to 3 minutes . but it does not work .

this is the output of cat .desktop-session file in home directory

#!/bin/bash
                        ## fix HiDPI screen if necessary.
                        ## Not needed if there is no HiDPI screen 
                        autoscale-antix
                        ## Only use ONE (or neither)
                        ## Simple script to check for connectivity (NCA). 
                        ## If no network connection is detected, activate wi-fi networks, open connman and go straight to the wi-fi connections tab.
                        #network-check-antix &
                        ## OR More comples tool (NCR) that provides on screen info while waiting for a network connection to be established.
                        ## NRS reports in both GUI and non-GUI environments. 
                        #network-readiness-state &
                        ## Puts connman gui monitor icon on the taskbar
                        #cmst -m & 
                        ## Uncomment if using pulseaudio (you need to install it). Make sure it starts before volumeicon.
                        #pulseaudio -D &
                        ## Uncomment if using pipewire (you may need to install it). Make sure it starts before volumeicon.
                        #start pipewire, pipewire-pulse and wireplumber via conf file
                        #pipewire &
                        ## Puts a volume icon on the taskbar
                        sleep 5 && volumeicon & 
                        ## Enable/Disable automounting
                        automount-antix &
                        ## Puts a flag on the taskbar to show which keyboard is being used if more than 1 keyboard layout is detected
                        fbxkb-start &
                        ## Uncomment for easy search from the taskbar
                        #search-bar-icon &
                        ## Uncomment the following line to mount Samba and/or NFS shares
                        #connectshares &
                        ## Uncomment to show the configuration gui of a running ssh-conduit-x11vnc server (you need to install ssh-conduit-antix)
                        #ssh-conduit-x11vnc.sh gui &
                        ## Uncomment to use clipboard manager
                        #clipit &
                        ## Use pkexec (you need to install policykit-1-gnome)
                        #/usr/lib/policykit-1-gnome/polkit-gnome-authentication-agent-1 &
                        ## Uncomment both to show wicd networking monitor (you need to install wicd).
                        #wicd-client -t &
                        #grep -q "START_DAEMON=no" /etc/default/wicd || wicd-client -t &
                        ## Uncomment after installing apt-notifier
                        #apt-notifier & 
                        ## Enable Mouse Configuration at Startup
                        #ds-mouse -all &
                        ## Uncomment if using network-manager  (you need to install it)
                        #nm-applet &
                        ## Used on live system only
                        ## Uncomment and set desired value to activate suspend timer at startup
                        suspend_if_idle 3 &

is this method only for live system?
                        how can i implement this on a noraml installation on sda?

PPC

I have set Autosuspend to 3 minutes . but it does not work .

That’s strange. I tested that on 4 different computers, and that script never failed (and some other users tested it)…

I’m thinking of a way to use that very same script to also check regularly if the computer is running only on battery, and if so, warn at low battery and critical battery levels… I’ve already made a simple bash script that seems to work correctly warn when the battery is low…

edit: this should work, no matter how you are running antiX, installed, live… It’s a simple bash script- /usr/local/bin/suspend_if_idle

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by PPC.
                          MasterPythoner

did u check my .desktop-session file contents? does it seem fine?
                            how can i trace a log of this event?
                            i want to fix the issue .

I’ve already made a simple bash script that seems to work correctly warn when the battery is low

would u please share the script, so that i test and work on it .

i also need the source of script that gui autosuspend in antix . to test and troubleshoot my problem

PPC

the new script is in another computer, sorry, I’ll upload it when I can…

i also need the source of script that gui autosuspend in antix . to test and troubleshoot my problem

Hum… To see the code try:
                              geany /usr/local/bin/suspend_if_idle

blur13

xfce4-power-manager is actually pretty good and works well on antiX. Might be easier to use that than reinventing the wheel with a bunch of disparate scripts.

MasterPythoner

the file
                                  /usr/local/bin/suspend_if_idle
                                  is missing .
                                  it is weird .
                                  i have downloaded antix23.1 base .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.