Suggestion: Access to Cpufrequency Scaling in the Control Centre

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Suggestion: Access to Cpufrequency Scaling in the Control Centre

• This topic has 3 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Jan 20-1:04 am by skidoo.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Barnabyh

Hello all,

like the title says, I’ld like to see access to frequency scaling incorporated for the next release in the antiX control centre. In fact I’m a bit surprised it isn’t already, but you can’t do everything. This should include setting governors as well as a choice of the different utilities.

Many Thanks,
    B.

sleekmason
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

Hello all,

like the title says, I’ld like to see access to frequency scaling incorporated for the next release in the antiX control centre. In fact I’m a bit surprised it isn’t already, but you can’t do everything. This should include setting governors as well as a choice of the different utilities.

Many Thanks,
    B.

Howdy, Which distro currently has this, and what is the program they are using?

In android these may be built in options for custom distros like cyanogenmod. Generally people use something like kernel audiutor (yes really spelled like that), to adjust the settings for their kernel in Android.

In linux, I haven’t seen this so far, but I don’t use any of the big ones like ubuntu, so I don’t know. There are reasons why this probably won’t matter in linux.

There are only 5-6 options for governors, with ondemand, and schedutil being the only ones I would even consider. The schedutil governor is somewhat new, but has all the potential in the world to be the number 1 choice, and is being actively worked on, with Linux Kernel Release 4.18 providing yet another upgrade to schedutil.

You won’t find any of the groovy governors that are found in android.

Same thing goes for IO schedulers. In a solid state device, you may not even need one, though many have reported better balancing with BFQ. The default in most linux distros is CFQ, which, overall is a great IO scheduler.

If you would like to learn more about kernel settings in linux, there are a few guides in the tips and tricks section of making your own kernel, and setting it (or any recent) kernel to BFQ.

Overall, the antiX kernel is in excellent shape, and should suit most desktop user’s needs.

wildstar84
    Helpful
    Up

I just saw a recent article about this very thing (a GUI for cpufreq), but it refers to a package not available in our repos.

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/01/easily-set-cpu-governor-performance.html

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

MX 15 repo
    (quickly found by searching https://repology.org)
    Downloaded from here: indicator-cpufreq_0.2.2-0mx15+1_all.deb
    (the package is applicable for both 32-bit and 64-bit)

I was able to install it on antiX 17 Full after installing a few dependencies.
    sudo apt-get python3-dbus python3-gi gir1.2-appindicator3-0.1 libcpufreq0
    sudo dpkg -i /tmp/indicator-cpufreq_0.2.2-0mx15+1_all.deb
    man indicator-cpufreq

partial list of installed files:
    /usr/bin/indicator-cpufreq
    /usr/bin/indicator-cpufreq-selector
    /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/indicator_cpufreq/cpufreq.py
    /usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/indicator_cpufreq/indicator.py
    /etc/xdg/autostart/indicator-cpufreq.desktop
    /usr/share/dbus-1/system-services/com.ubuntu.IndicatorCpufreqSelector.service
    /usr/share/polkit-1/actions/com.ubuntu.indicatorcpufreq.policy
    /var/lib/polkit-1/localauthority/10-vendor.d/indicator-cpufreq.pkla

No /usr/share/applications/*.desktop file is provided (so, no desktop menu entry is created)
    launchstring (from terminal emulator commandline): indicator-cpufreq

Displays an icon in fluxbox tray. Left or right click on the icon opens a menu.
    No errors noticed in terminal; no errors noticed in dmesg.
    cpufrequtils service is currently running, but selections via the indicator-cpufreq menu seem to have no effect.
    YMMV ~~ at least it installs n launches (adds 25Mb RAM session overhead)

ps:
    noted 25 open bugs listed at the project’s launchpad page: https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-cpufreq

found 1 forked project at github (its repo contains only one interesting commit) https://github.com/xuancong84/indicator-cpufreq/commits/master

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.