Suggestions about antiX Linux to developers and maintainers

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Suggestions about antiX Linux to developers and maintainers

• This topic has 110 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated Oct 5-1:27 am by marcelocripe.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    marcelocripemarcelocripe

Brian Masinick,

So jealous …

“. I like it that way myself and I’ve used well over 100 distributions over the past twenty + years, probably closer to 200+.”

And I think it took me a long time to get to antiX …

I wonder how much your vision was refined when using or even analyzing so many and so many Linux distributions, each with its difficulties and facilities.

As I make corrections to the pt-Br translations on the https://www.transifex.com/ antiX and MX Linux website, I observe the number of tools or programs developed by the creator and others by the community. They are all exclusive, I believe they only exist in these distributions, it is a pity not to have the creators’ credits in all the programs.

Anticapitalist,

I thank you for authorizing the topic https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/como-criar-pendrive-inicializavel-usando-o-ventoy-2/ containing the links of the videos that are in Portuguese, I had tried to post the topic three times, but always displayed a message preventing publication. I do not know any of the authors of the videos, nor do I have any interest, the only intention is to continue sharing the information kindly provided by Mr. Brian.

Thankful.

marcelocripe

————-

Brian Masinick,

Que inveja …

“. I like it that way myself and I’ve used well over 100 distributions over the past twenty+ years, probably closer to 200+.”

E eu achando que demorei muito para chegar até o antiX …

Eu fico imaginando o quanto a sua visão ficou apurada ao usar ou até analisar tantas e tantas distribuições Linux, cada uma com as suas dificuldades e facilidades.

A mediada que eu vou fazendo as correções nas traduções pt-Br no site https://www.transifex.com/ do antiX e do MX Linux, eu observo a quantidade de ferramentas ou programas desenvolvidos pelo criador e outras pela comunidade. São todas exclusivas, eu acredito que só existem nestas distribuições, é uma pena não ter os créditos dos criadores em todos os programas.

Anticapitalista,

Eu agradeço por autorizar o tópico https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/como-criar-pendrive-inicializavel-usando-o-ventoy-2/ contendo os links dos vídeos que estão em português, eu havia tentado postar o tópico três vezes, mas sempre exibia uma mensagem impedindo a publicação. Eu não conheço nenhum dos autores dos vídeos, também não tenho nenhum tipo de interesse, a única intenção é de continuar compartilhando a informação gentilmente fornecida pelo sr. Brian.

Grato.

marcelocripe

Brian MasinickBrian Masinick

Hi Marcelocripe,

My adventure into computing goes back to 1973, my Junior year in High School. My Algebra-Trigonometry teacher planned to teach an introductory course in computers to familiarize students with computers (which, at that time, were NOT in every home, but were becoming more common in business).

We lived about 5 miles away from a 1 square mile complex, containing research and engineering technology for General Motors, which was at the time the largest automobile manufacturer in the world. We visited the GM Research Laboratories, specifically their computer research labs. When we arrived back to school, we had access to a couple of teletype terminals that were connected by a rather ancient form of communications – an acoustic coupler. To use this device, you’d call the number connecting to a computer service. When you’d hear a long, steady beeping sound, you would take the phone and connect it to an acoustic coupler, which would transform the beeping noises into digital communication.

What a slow and challenging way to connect to anything, but for a 16-17 year old, it was cool, and I’d spend hours in the room with that thing to create really simple programs in a simple language called BASIC. If I wanted to SAVE the program, I’d put a long string of paper tape into a machine connected to the teletype and punch the program codes from the teletype into the paper tape, cut off the tape and put rubber bands around the tape, carefully rolled up, so I could reload the programs and work on them again.

I had not decided what field to study at that point, knowing only that it would be a field using science and mathematics. But after this experience, I chose Computer Science.

Two years into my Computer Science program I encountered a Digital Equipment PDP-11/45 computer that had UNIX installed on it. The machine really wasn’t connected to anything, but it did give me a reminder of this system.

A few years later, after graduating with a Bachelor of Science degree in Computer Science from Michigan Technological University, I took at job at General Motors. Less than a year later, my team moved into a brand new building about a half mile away from the computer center I had visited when I was in high school. Even better, our group actually used the GM Research Labs computers, so I often had opportunities to visit that facility again and again. I even met a math supercomputer research lecturer I had met just prior to graduating, and we shared interests in jazz music and powerful computers.

A couple of years later, we were looking for ways to offload overtaxed mainframe computers, looking at a combination of mainframe, middle tier department computers, and desktop personal computers – all pretty new and recent at the time. The middle tier ran UNIX and the desktops ran MS/DOS.

This background gave me insights into both telecommunications and client-server computing. Ten years later when Linux began to emerge, I tracked and read about it for a while, then purchased my own computer and a few books. With the books, computer and other tools, I spent about $3000; most I’ve ever spent. The costs have declined, and the technology has steadily improved. The first few years I had a computer, I could edit files locally, but I’d have to use a phone connection – soon better choices than acoustic couplers – modems – were available, but in the late nineties I was able to get a broadband network connection in my home. That enabled me to work any time from my home computer and connect to other equipment. Some of my jobs even permitted me to occasionally work from home, and I also took graduate studies right from my computer and did this in the evenings after work.

The broadband network gave me the opportunity to obtain many Linux distributions. At first, I’d purchase CD or DVD images; it was still quicker to load these, but even the network speeds continued to get faster until it reached the point where I’d download everything. Interestingly, that was when the distribution preceding antiX arrived – Simply MEPIS. I used MEPIS, Debian, Libranet, sidux, Mandrake, and PCLinuxOS a lot in those days. Once antiX arrived, I used Debian, antiX, and MEPIS most of the time, though I still would evaluate and test a lot of different distributions.

I had forgotten the exact date and time, but the very first time when anticapitalista announced antiX to the MEPIS Lovers Community on one of the forums, I tried it immediately and loved it; been using it since BEFORE the first formally released version, since I used the earliest test version that was introduced.

Long history, but I hope it’s been enjoyable; everyone has their own story, and there are a LOT of great “learning and coming to Linux” stories; mine actually began with a Slackware distribution I loaded from a CD contained in the cover of a book! That’s ANOTHER story in itself!

Brian Masinick

@PPC. on what we would include in taskbar. Difficult subject, will get back to this shortly,
    bad weather on the way. Have to pick fruit for winter store quickly.
    Sorry

@PPC. on what we would include in taskbar. Difficult subject, will get back to this shortly,
    bad weather on the way. Have to pick fruit for winter store quickly.
    Sorry

@Moddit: I wish you safety and shelter from whatever storms and difficulties you are anticipating, and ample fruit and produce for the potentially harsh days ahead.
    Best wishes, not only with antiX, but more importantly in life – our antiX is useful to us, but health, wellness, love, and family safety always come before even the fellowship we enjoy here. In case we “miss you” because of these personal matters, thanks for your many contributions and safe shelter for all.

Brian Masinick

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Brian,

When you wrote about your professional experience at General Motors, I immediately remembered what I studied in the industrial sector, when you started at GM, it was not long ago that MODICON presented the first programmable logic controller (PLC in pt-Br and PLC in En) that was implemented in this giant company. You were part of the story! You were there …

It was really cool to be able to learn a little more about his long journey.

If U $ 3000.00 was already a lot of money at the time, the same amount in the currency of Brazil, if it were today it would be equivalent to R $ 16,780.20 (reais), probably at this time your first computer converted to the Brazilian currency would be equivalent to the value of a car … absurd!

You talked about broadband in the late 90s, here in Brazil in 2008/2009 I was still downloading dialers suffering to be able to connect my clients’ internet (laughs, laughs), as we are always (here) always late around 10 years. Blu-ray disc or media, has it stopped being produced in the USA? I believed that blu-ray discs would help me solve the problem of the amount of media for data storage, but here the player and the media are still very expensive.

What region does ModdIt live in? If that’s the case, he’ll need to wrap up a lot … Here when the temperature gets close to 8 (eight) degrees Celsius or 46.4 Fahrenheit, people who have nowhere to live, die of cold on the streets (It’s very sad !). Usually summer rains cause a lot of destruction and flooding, while pollution increases.

marcelocripe

————–

Brian,

Quando você escreveu sobre a sua experiência profissional da General Motors, eu logo me lembrei do que eu estudei no ramo industrial, quando você iniciou na GM, fazia pouco tempo que a MODICON apresentava o primeiro controlador lógico programável (CLP em pt-Br e PLC em En) que foi implementado nesta empresa gigante. Você fez parte da história! Você estava lá …

Foi muito legal poder saber um pouco mais da sua longa jornada.

Se U$ 3000,00 já era na época muito dinheiro, o mesmo valor na moeda do Brasil, se fosse hoje equivaleria a R$ 16.780,20 (reais), provavelmente na nesta época o seu primeiro computador convertido para a moeda Brasileira seria equivalente ao valor de um automóvel … um absurdo!

Você falou sobre banda larga no final dos anos 90, aqui no Brasil em 2008/2009 ainda eu ficava baixando discadores de sofrendo para conseguir conectar a internet dos meus clientes (risos, risos), como sempre estamos (aqui) sempre atrasados cerca de 10 anos. A mídia ou disco de blu-ray, ela já parou de ser produzida nos EUA? Eu acreditava que os discos de blu-ray fossem me ajudar a resolver o problema da quantidade de mídias para o armazenamento de dados, mas aqui o leitor e a mídia ainda estão muito caros.

A região que o ModdIt mora neva? Se for isso ele vai precisar se agasalhar muito … Aqui quando a temperatura chega próximo a 8 (oito) graus Celsius ou 46,4 Fahrenheit, as pessoas que não tem onde morar, chegam a morrer de frio nas ruas (É muito triste!). Normalmente as chuvas de verão causam bastante destruições e alagamentos, enquanto isso a poluição aumenta.

marcelocripe

Hi marcelocripe,

The $3000 spent on computers (and books on Linux) was the most I have ever spent and fortunately I had it at the time. I would never spend that much now. I’m retired and I wouldn’t buy an expensive computer today because antiX runs great on used equipment.

I worked on operating systems when I bought the computer. Language translation and localization was what our team was doing. Having a computer at home allowed me to work from home during a major snowstorm.

Brian Masinick

PPC asked, Which icons do you suggest to come out of the box with antiX’s toolbar?
    Trying to put away habit and think more generaly. Buttons to go to.

Antix Updater.
    Help/FAQ.
    Packet installer.
    Maybe all above could be put in the controll center rather than on menu Bar. Then Call it Help and controll center.
    Putting as much as possible in one tool is more efficient than the present somewhat messy structure.
    New users struggle, And many really good tools go unnoticed in straggling submenus.

Browser, we use palemoon as lighter than Fox. Essential
    USB connect tool. Essential in modern world. something to connect i devices for those who like rotten fruit too.

Will check if tool can also connect Dashcam, Actions Cams, and the cameras I own. Most are USB mass storage devices.

Unmount connected USB devices. Getting errors from FUSE for incorrectly removed devices. so Essential.
    File manager. Essential tool.

Add application to toolbar could be slotted in to the controll center next to Menu Editor as somewhat related.
    Does that exist ?, I have always hand edited up to now.

My feeling is to have less clutter and leave choices to user the Controll center is a very Important tool.

Maybe even a tick box for add application to toolbar could also be slotted in to the packet installer.

Maybe good, Add more desktops as standard to toolbar. Most distros go with 4 we have and use 6.

Side Notes:
    I can connect to a Latest Non Google Huawei Android Phone, both as mass storage and as ADB device.

Connecting Chinese Action Cams, Dashcams, and other cameras is personal need but for sure of benefit to users. Once that is more tested
    I will try and persuade my Chinese friends to Include linux as supported OS in Handbooks and hopefully point to Antix as a good choice. Both OS and forum.

I am using AntiX to mess with video up to 4K 60 Fps. Definite NO GO on very old computer. Quad I5 with big Graphics from NVIDIA works hard.
    The light base system is a major asset as the data rates are very high both on playback and post processing or recoding down to Full HD.

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Hi Anticapitalista,

Another suggestion for improving antiX:

At the time of login and password, there are no options to shut down or restart, they could only be in text accessed with Tab and confirming with the Space key or the Enter key or if you prefer with the mouse arrow. The option that saves RAM resources.

Thankful.

marcelocripe

———–

Olá Anticapitalista,

Outra sugestão para a melhoria do antiX:

No momento do login e senha, não existem as opções para desligar ou reiniciar, poderiam ser apenas em texto acessadas com Tab e confirmando com a tecla Espaço ou com a tecla Enter ou se preferir com a seta do mouse. A opção que poupar recursos de memória RAM.

Grato.

marcelocripe

skidooskidoo

At the time of login and password, there are no options to shut down or restart

Yes, options to shutdown and/or reboot from SLiM login screen are available, and they are documented.

$ man slim

USAGE AND SPECIAL USERNAMES
           When started, slim will show a login panel; enter the username 
           and password of the user you want to login as.

Special usernames
           (when typed into username input, these execute actions other than login):

console
                  open an xterm console (urxvt, in antiX)

exit   quit slim

halt   shutdown the machine

reboot reboot the machine

suspend
                  power-suspend the machine

See the configuration file for customizing the above commands.

Note: The 'halt' and 'reboot' commands demand the root password

tip: If you want to present this seldom-needed info (or any other info) on the login screen,
    you can embed the desired text (in your local language) in a custom background image.

example

skidooskidoo

have less clutter and leave choices to user the Control center

In past “betesting XX release” forum topics, you can read how this has been a recurring, ping-pong, issue.
    With the menu UNcluttered, too often people were missing (overlooking) task-specific utilities which are available via ControlCentre, posting in forum to ask “how do I…”

…so, for the antiX 19 release, redundant (with same available via ControlCentre) menu entries were pre-installed.
    Now, we can (again) notice the potiential usability issues related to the clutter ~~ including the possibility that a given menu entry within a overly-tall submenu will be unseen//offscreen until or unless the user scrolls upward or downward to view the entire list.

In past “betesting XX release” forum topics, you can read how this has been a recurring, ping-pong, issue.
    With the menu UNcluttered, too often people were missing (overlooking) task-specific utilities which are available via ControlCentre, posting in forum to ask “how do I…”

…so, for the antiX 19 release, redundant (with same available via ControlCentre) menu entries were pre-installed.
    Now, we can (again) notice the potential usability issues related to the clutter ~~ including the possibility that a given menu entry within a overly-tall submenu will be unseen//offscreen until or unless the user scrolls upward or downward to view the entire list.

Both of you bring up good arguments. Some people wanted to see everything in the menu. Unless the menu is very carefully crafted, you either have a really long menu or a large number of different sections. Then you either add complexity or go “hunting” for the entries. Those are both arguments for keeping the menu simple, and it is less work for the menu maintenance.

A well-designed Control Center (Centre), coupled with documentation (and interface notes), probably on or near the front of the Web site, the installation procedure, and a sticky topic HERE may at least cut down on the questions and make it easier for us to point to where to find the details when people ask. If we DO change ANYTHING, it will be a good idea to make sure that whatever resources are used to explain the changes are clear and available in locations easy to find and easy to link or cite so people will actually LOOK at them. I’ll support whatever approach we choose.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.

Brian Masinick

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Skidoo,

I thank you for responding so promptly.

Yes, options to shutdown and / or reboot from SLiM login screen are available, and they are documented.
    $ man slim

Please, in which directory do I find this “slim man” file?

Looking at the content in the terminal I can’t do anything, but looking at the content of the file in the text editor (Geany or Leafpad), gives me more peace of mind and security to make any tests or changes.

Thank you.

marcelocripe

————-

Skidoo,

Eu agradeço por responder tão prontamente.

Yes, options to shutdown and/or reboot from SLiM login screen are available, and they are documented.
    $ man slim

Por favor, em qual diretório encontro este arquivo “man slim”?

Olhar para o conteúdo no terminal eu não consigo fazer nada, mas olhar para o conteúdo do arquivo no editor de texto (Geany ou Leafpad), me traz mais tranquilidade e segurança para fazer qualquer teste ou modificação.

Obrigado.

marcelocripe

Now, we can (again) notice the potiential usability issues related to the clutter ~~ including the possibility that a given menu entry within a overly-tall submenu will be unseen//offscreen until or unless the user scrolls upward or downward to view the entire list.

GREAT PIC, Skidoo! Just imagine all antiX screens with a “suffocating Zombie” theme. Have you got one of that for a background?

skidooskidoo

$ man slim
    That direction presumed the reader does posess basic linux knowledge.
    The $ represents a terminal command prompt.
    man is a command. When executed, it displays the user manual for a named program.
    slim is the “display manager, aka login manager” program. Its user manual will be displayed (in terminal, not in leafpad or other editor) if you issue the “man slim” command.

To read the content content in a text editor, you COULD
    man slim >> /tmp/anyname && leafpad /tmp/anyname
    …but will lose the benefit of seeing any bold//italic present in the original manpage document.

Really, no need for you to wade through the manpage at this point ~~ my earlier post already contained the relevant excerpt, and…

skidooskidoo

> Have you got one of that for a background?
    No, I just quickly grabbed something from unsplash.com
    and layered (Darken) a screencap of my post along with a sharpened version of the logo I grabbed from the new wiki

—} antiX Linux fansite wiki {—

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.