Suggestions about antiX Linux to developers and maintainers

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Suggestions about antiX Linux to developers and maintainers

• This topic has 110 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated Oct 5-1:27 am by marcelocripe.
Viewing 6 posts - 106 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • Author

Hi all I do Understand, everything is a trade off, for the users I try to look after there is a
    button for the control center in Toolbar as standard.

Once I get back home I will also put the commands skidoo mentioned on the login screen and
    an extra pointer to controll center for common tasks. See how kids react.
    I often have to push users through the menu and encourage them to just give things a try, start
    a programme, then search it for usage.

Its like digging for gemstones, much of the wealth of antiX is not so obvious.

Is a high res version of the antiX wiki logo available, really nice, like the distro minimal and effective.
    I would like to use that for our login screen, and on front of some flyers to leave around in a couple of schools.

Good for some T shirts and car sticker too.

XecureXecure

Is a high res version of the antiX wiki logo available

Some time ago I tried to reproduce the logo in vector file (infinite scaling). I cleared the color a bit and used it in the wiki.

You can download it from here:
    https://static.miraheze.org/antixlinuxfanwiki/4/40/Antix-logo.svg

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Skidoo,

Thanks for explaining me how to open help in a text file.

That direction presumed the reader does posess basic linux knowledge.

I have many gaps in the knowledge that I have been acquiring since I started in this “Linux world”, imagine it as a “blind man in the middle of a shooting”, where the “blind” represents the novice user and the “shooting” the various Linux distributions.

A little of what I went through explained in the link: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/suggestions-about-antix-linux-to-developers-and-maintainers/page/6/?bbp_reply_to=42534&_wpnonce=72f569f81e , in the part of the text “… When I started researching Linux, …”, in that post I forgot to include a main item:

“5 – The Linux distribution or BSD distribution would need to be translated into Portuguese”.

When executed, it displays the user manual for a named program. Slim is the “display manager, aka login manager” program. Its user manual will be displayed (in terminal, not in leafpad or other editor) if you issue the “slim man” command.

Applying your explanation, the same text from the help file opened on Leafpad, I was able to easily copy the content and paste it into the online translator. Cool, now I can read the text translated into the Portuguese language, almost everything solved … that nothing! Whoever wrote that text, wrote for those who already know and know the program “Slim”, in short, I read it but I didn’t understand anything …

Anyway, thanks for the teachings.

My intention is not to replace the background image of “Slim”, although it is very interesting, to be able to include a text, as in your example.

The intention is to have a “turn off the computer” button available on the login screen or on the “Slim”.

marcelocripe

——-

Skidoo,

Obrigado por me explicar como abrir a ajuda em um arquivo de texto.

That direction presumed the reader does posess basic linux knowledge.

Eu possuo muitas lacunas no conhecimento que estou adquirindo desde que comecei neste “mundo Linux”, imagine como um “cego em meio a um tiroteio”, onde o “cego” representa o usuário iniciante e o “tiroteio” as diversas distribuições Linux.

Um pouco do que passei eu expliquei no link: https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/suggestions-about-antix-linux-to-developers-and-maintainers/page/6/?bbp_reply_to=42534&_wpnonce=72f569f81e, na parte do texto “… Quando eu comecei a pesquisar sobre Linux, …”, naquela postagem eu me esqueci de incluir um item principal:

“5 – A distribuição Linux ou distribuição BSD precisaria possuir tradução para Português”.

When executed, it displays the user manual for a named program. Slim is the “display manager, aka login manager” program. Its user manual will be displayed (in terminal, not in leafpad or other editor) if you issue the “man slim” command.

Aplicando as sua explicação, o mesmo texto do arquivo de ajuda aberto no Leafpad, eu consegui facilmente copiar o conteúdo e colar no tradutor online. Legal, agora eu posso ler o texto traduzido para o idioma português, quase tudo resolvido … que nada! Quem escreveu aquele texto, escreveu para quem já domina e conhece o programa “Slim”, em resumo, eu li mas não entendi nada …

De qualquer maneira, obrigado pelos ensinamentos.

A minha intenção não é substituir a imagem de fundo do “Slim”, apesar de ser bem interessante, poder incluir um texto, como no seu exemplo.

A intenção é ter disponível um botão “desligar o computador” na tela de login ou no “Slim’.

marcelocripe

The intention is to have a “turn off the computer” button available on the login screen or on the “Slim”.

SLiM is the program which displays a login screen.
    Not specific to what action a button might trigger, SLiM is not able to render buttons, period.
    That’s why I suggested the “workaround” ~~ embedding explanatory text within your the background image.

Whoever wrote that text, wrote for those who already know and know the program

Yes, i agree that the “explanation” provided within manpages is often difficult to comprehend.

KooKoo

SLiM is the program which displays a login screen.
    Not specific to what action a button might trigger, SLiM is not able to render buttons, period.
    That’s why I suggested the “workaround” ~~ embedding explanatory text within your the background image.

Whoever wrote that text, wrote for those who already know and know the program

Yes, i agree that the “explanation” provided within manpages is often difficult to comprehend.

The below was found here arch wiki SLiM
    Shutdown, reboot, suspend, exit, launch terminal from SLiM

You may shutdown, reboot, suspend, exit or even launch a terminal from the SLiM login screen. To do so, use the values in the username field, and the root password in the password field:

To launch a terminal, enter console as the username (defaults to xterm which must be installed separately… edit /etc/slim.conf to change terminal preference)
    For shutdown, enter halt as the username
    For reboot, enter reboot as the username
    To exit to bash, enter exit as the username
    For suspend, enter suspend as the username. Suspend is disabled by default, edit /etc/slim.conf as root to uncomment the suspend_cmd line and, if necessary, modify the suspend command itself (by e.g. changing /usr/sbin/suspend to sudo /usr/sbin/pm-suspend).

T430 i7-3632QM 16gb , antiX-19.2.1-runit_x64-base Hannie Schaft 29 March 2020 , 5.8.16-antix.1-amd64-smp

marcelocripemarcelocripe

Koo,

I appreciate the tips.

I tested all but the suspend:

-console as the username {Enter}, opened the terminal in the upper left corner, but it didn’t work for me.
    -halt as root username and password displayed the message that it would shut down the system, but went to the command prompt.
    -reboot as a username, it worked
    -exit as username, went to the command prompt.
    -I haven’t tested suspend as a username.

Unfortunately, “shutting down the computer” didn’t work.

Thank you.

marcelocripe

————–

Koo,

Eu agradeço pelas dicas.

Testei todos, exceto o suspend:

-console como o nome de usuário {Enter}, abriu o terminal no canto superior esquerdo, mas não funcionou para mim.
    -halt como nome de usuário e senha de root exibiu a mensagem que iria desligar o sistema, mas foi para o prompt de comando.
    -reboot como nome de usuário, funcionou
    -exit como nome de usuário, foi para o prompt de comando.
    -Não testei o suspend.

Infelizmente não funcionou o “desligar o computador”.

Obrigado.

marcelocripe

Viewing 6 posts - 106 through 111 (of 111 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.