Suggestions to the Devs about antiX 21

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Suggestions to the Devs about antiX 21

• This topic has 12 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Oct 16-8:17 am by Xecure.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    PPC

I’m been testing antix 21 beta2 runit version in a Virtual Machine, and I’ve seeing just about any bug/problem that was detected solved almost instantly, but I have some small suggestions, mainly on usability:

1- Include a GUI .deb package installer- I made a tiny script that works in a similar fashion to antiX-updater- that reduces to a minimum the contact between the user and the terminal- “debinstaller”, available in the antiX-contribs git… any other light.deb package installer will do
    2- Preconfigure keyboard shortcuts to copy and paste in roxterm
    3- Add the toolbar icon manager to the icewm toolbar- so newbies know, right from the start that they can add/remove icons, and old time users waste less time adding/removing icons. If an advanced user does not like the icon there, it’s an easy edit, to remove it
    4- add more wallpapers than those that come in the beta- they are great, yes, but, in my opinion there should be at least one for every slimski theme (I guess they are missing because the final version is not out yet)
    5- Are you interested in having a small script, that runs after installation/on first boot, that offers to download the language packages for LibreOffice and Firefox, or even have that option available in the control center (it can check if libreoffice, firefox-esr, firefox or thunderbird are installed and offer to download the relevant packages)- if there’s interest, I can try to work on such script, on my free time… this is nor exclusive to antiX (I read that Manjaro users have the same problem) but bugs a bit not English speaking users…
    6- Include a trash can / recycle bin- with a few tweaks spacefm/zzzfm can be made to use one, no extra packages or extensions needed- or you can include the “trash-cli” package out of the box or, at least make it available on the Package Installer
    7- There’s a great deal of care in localizing applications used in antiX, I know… But one very important one is not localized- the connmann GUI… I saw, I’m not sure if in the official connmann GUI git, that it had localization files in pt- it would be great if a version with localization support was included in antiX – if needed, I could try writing a yad script that listed all available wi-fi networks and allowed the user to select one [and show a “Please your wi-fi password” window, created the config file] and connect to it. This script can be localized easily…
    8- I’ve been playing with the idea of an enhancement to T.I.M.- that would allow the user to add to the toolbar any currently running application- it’s not exactly drag and drop, but some users may (or not) find this useful. Any input on this?

Even without applying any of this suggestions, antiX 21 is already the best antiX version to date, so my thanks to the dev team!

P.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

Preconfigure keyboard shortcuts to copy and paste in roxterm

This would be a great feature to have. Thanks for the suggestion.

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Helpful
    Up

#2 Control + Shift + [c,v] Does not work?

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

Another suggestion:
    Perhaps remove the file manager as root icon in the toolbar. Could be very dangerous if a person does not what they are doing.

calciumsodium
    Helpful
    Up

I must have misread @PPC suggestion #2. I thought: Preconfigure keyboard shortcuts to copy and paste in rox-filer.

You can do: Control + Shift + [c,v] in roxterm.

As I understand it, in rox-filer, if one highlights more than one item, to copy it using keyboard Ctrl + C will not let you do it. It says:

You cannot do this to more than one item at a time

What I thought PPC was suggesting was, for example, if a rox-filer window had five items and I highlight 3 of them and copy them using a keyboard shortcut. And in another rox-filer window, I can paste them using another keyboard shortcut.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by calciumsodium.
    PPC
    Helpful
    Up

Another suggestion:
    Perhaps remove the file manager as root icon in the toolbar. Could be very dangerous if a person does not what they are doing.

I think Xecure already took care of that! 🙂

And strangely enough, keyboard shortcuts – copy and paste does not work on my roxterm… I’ll check it out with more detail…

P.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

psst:
    calciumsodium mentioning roxFILER
    vs
    PPC mentioning roxterm

Did I read within the betatesting topic that antiX21 may need to abandon roxterm, in favor of some alternative terminal emulator, due to problems… or was the newly-discovered quirkiness related to the urxvtzqp terminal emulator ?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

roxterm-gtk2 (old) version has issues with htop for example. Try navigating in htop via roxterm, you’ll soon see the problem.
    roxterm next generation (3.11) fixes this.
    But it uses almost double the RAM of roxterm 2.9 series in my tests.
    So we either dump old roxterm for its heavy grandchild or use something else.

@PPC I like number 5 the most.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

roxterm-gtk2 (old) version has issues with htop for example. Try navigating in htop via roxterm, you’ll soon see the problem.
    roxterm next generation (3.11) fixes this.
    But it uses almost double the RAM of roxterm 2.9 series in my tests.
    So we either dump old roxterm for its heavy grandchild or use something else.

As it seems most people don’t use the mouse on the terminal (I was the only one who ever “protested” about this in the beta testing), and roxterm-gtk3 more or less works with mouse input, then we could keep roxterm for this release. I also don’t know much about other alternative light-weight terminal emulators, so I am happy with roxterm.

Control+Shift+C for copying in the terminal is my preferred method (and is what works right now with roxterm).
    If I want to stop the running process launched in the terminal I use Control+C, so I don’t want to get confused here.

4- add more wallpapers than those that come in the beta-

I thought that the final wallpapers would come in the RC, so I wasn’t that worried for it. Many many images were proposed, and it will take anticapitalista an afternoon to check them out and select them, so I understand leaving this for last.

7- There’s a great deal of care in localizing applications used in antiX, I know… But one very important one is not localized- the connmann GUI

Is this cmst? Could you provide a link? If we can test those .mo files and see if they work with the current antiX-21 cmst version, they could be added during the build-iso process (there is no need to touch the cmst package, which may update at any point by Debian and remove those translations without warning).

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Forum Admin
    SamK
    Helpful
    Up

5- Are you interested in having a small script, that runs after installation/on first boot, that offers to download the language packages for LibreOffice and Firefox, or even have that option available in the control center (it can check if libreoffice, firefox-esr, firefox or thunderbird are installed and offer to download the relevant packages)…

@PPC I like number 5 the most.

The obvious, logical location for items such as this is within the Control Centre→Package Installer

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

The obvious, logical location for items such as this is within the Control Centre→Package Installer

True. And that is still the best option.
    However, an extra aid to ‘prompt’ users to localise apps such as libreoffice, firefox etc is of value.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

an extra aid to ‘prompt’ users to localise apps such as libreoffice, firefox etc is of value.

Definitely agree

Would it be possible to have a prompt added to remaster tool that the Live USB maker can clone a running live system,
    at present that power is not immediately obvious to users, to my shame I was included.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Moddit, have you tested this option in locale-antix (the option “Localize Packages”?

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.