SUSe is f**king Red Hat Linux! I repeat: forking Red Hat Linux

Forum Forums General Other Distros SUSe is f**king Red Hat Linux! I repeat: forking Red Hat Linux

• This topic has 29 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Jul 17-4:17 pm by techore.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Brian Masinick

“I am done with Red Hat based distributions outside of my day job”

Yeah, me too. I try Fedora every now and then, and I used to occasionally grab Cent OS, not because I actually enjoyed them, instead because I have a hobby of testing and reviewing distributions, and also because when I was employed, my Linux experience was often a differentiation; once upon a time, it was a scarce resource.

I’m retired now; the main reason (if any) that I check out some of these distributions is so that I’m able to have meaningful discussions with a few people I collaborate with; they’re younger than me, but they are no longer “youngsters” either!

I also read a few publications and it’s clear that I’m probably 20-30 years older than the majority of the participants! Oh well, at least my brain still works! 🙂

--
      Brian Masinick

techore

Oh well, at least my brain still works!

It does indeed! 🙂

Brian Masinick

????

--
          Brian Masinick

PPC

Just so this thread has all the information on this subject:

Mr. Masinick mentioned Oracle – after the news about Suse forking Red Hat Linux, Oracle, that has a RH compatible OS, recently came out also taking on RH- it’s all over the tech news, like here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/oracle-takes-on-red-hat-in-linux-code-fight/

Quoting from the article (that, in the end, seems to analyze RH actions in the exact same way I did):

In fact, Oracle now presents itself as an open-source Linux champion:
             "Oracle has always made Oracle Linux binaries and source freely
             available to all. We do not have subscription agreements that
             interfere with a subscriber's rights to redistribute Oracle Linux.
             On the other hand, IBM subscription agreements specify that you're
             in breach if you use those subscription services to exercise your
             GPLv2 rights."

Funny fact- Oracle is (in)famous in the FOSS world because their tendency to acquire open source software and… close sourcing it… they even tried to sue Google for using open source on Android, some years back. Boy… did that blow up on Oracle’s face!
            Now Oracle is “as an open-source Linux champion” funny how the world turns, he? Really, you can’t write fiction as weird as this… It’s like a bad “Black Mirror” episode, but you know… in the real world.

P.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by PPC.
            Brian Masinick

Oracle is not the only vendor who has since learned the value of freely available software, and they have actually championed their own RHEL remake for many years called Oracle Linux, with a software stack optimized for server performance.

Even the same company that sneered at Linux – Microsoft – back when Steve Ballmer was in charge – has since used quite a bit of freely available software in their own stack. Notice that Oracle and Microsoft remain, as before, commercial software companies. They still sell products and services, and they are using the model I’ve written about for at least 25 years – you help in the development of free software, share it with others and use it in your own products, which you then layer with your own unique features and services, and sell them, mostly capitalizing on the value-added services you sell, though you may also charge for your conveniently packaged collection of software. The GNU license does not prohibit vendors from charging money, in fact Richard Stallman funded many of his own products with 100% freely available source code, which his projects would package, configure, and sell, plus he earned additional income as a consultant and lecturer; there are numerous legitimate ways to earn a generous income through the effective packaging, use and resale of highly demanded products and services.

So Red Hat is not violating anything – though they are on the edge of the fence in one matter – they will distribute source code or binaries and allow persons to use them, but their stated license does not allow repackaging and selling their exact solution without expressed permission or some kind of cross licensing agreement and that’s where SUSE and Oracle differ; and also Rocky Linux; they manage to assemble sources from places that don’t explicitly have identical license restrictions, thereby barely escaping, though who knows if IBM/Red Hat will attempt to go to court; we’ve seen in past litigation that these struggles don’t go well for anyone; they’re expensive and they rarely result in anything other than a licensing arrangement and extremely expensive legal expenses! My guess is that it won’t go there unless some IBM exec gets upset that their $34 B investment isn’t working out!

--
              Brian Masinick

techore

@PPC, good points and I am not a fan of Oracle, myself, and was saddened when they obtained Sun Microsystems.

My feelings towards Oracle would differ if they reached out to the Linux Kernel team and reached an agreement where the team would permit kernel ZFS support. Linus stated ZFS kernel support will not be adopted due to Oracles’ litigious history.

mcpderez

What Red Hat is saying to their costumers is basically: “Here it is, dear costumer. You can look at the code, but you can’t touch it, can’t do a single thing to it, or you cease being our costumer and lose access to the code. Enjoy”

@PPC – Your English is infinitely better than my Portuguese, but I wanted to offer you a little tip. I had a little giggle when I read your post, because a “costumer” would be someone who designs and makes clothing for television, film, and stage characters or children to wear for Halloween “trick or treating”, so I am imagining people who are translating your English post into another language might get something weird in the translation. But this is a super easy fix, you just need to swap the ‘o’ and the ‘u’: “customer”. I think I have also seen the similar swap in some of your script description posts where you mean to say “customize” but write “costumize”.

I hope you find this helpful. As I said I am really impressed by your bilingual ability. If the forum had a direct message facility I probably would have just sent a DM since I don’t want this to be misinterpreted as criticism.

Brian Masinick

What Red Hat is saying to their costumers is basically: “Here it is, dear costumer. You can look at the code, but you can’t touch it, can’t do a single thing to it, or you cease being our costumer and lose access to the code. Enjoy”

@PPC
                    – Your English is infinitely better than my Portuguese, but I wanted to offer you a little tip. I had a little giggle when I read your post, because a “costumer” would be someone who designs and makes clothing for television, film, and stage characters or children to wear for Halloween “trick or treating”, so I am imagining people who are translating your English post into another language might get something weird in the translation. But this is a super easy fix, you just need to swap the ‘o’ and the ‘u’: “customer”. I think I have also seen the similar swap in some of your script description posts where you mean to say “customize” but write “costumize”.

I hope you find this helpful. As I said I am really impressed by your bilingual ability. If the forum had a direct message facility I probably would have just sent a DM since I don’t want this to be misinterpreted as criticism.

I don’t know for certain, but I suspect that PPC will be appreciative of the kind, caring, and sensitive manner in which you shared about costumes versus customs and customers – the consumers – and costumers, the ones who design the costumes!

@PPC, we definitely all appreciate you, and hopefully a few of us can very kindly help, not only in this, but in other instances where some top notch people may still appreciate proof reading and editing. I’ve known MANY terrific engineers who were NOT very good writers; they had fantastic ideas and could implement them, but others are better at writing and documenting.

What I still find somewhat humorous about myself is this – when it comes to testing, I always did much better in the math and science categories, though I didn’t score poorly in anything. But when I went to an engineering focused university, I easily stood out in the top 5%, whereas in High School, while very good, I was maybe in the top 10-15% in that area; a few other in the top 25 were better writers, I had a decent balance. As a software engineer, I was not that prolific; where I did stand out was my overall understanding and appreciation of how the various components fit together, and long before computers became efficient communicating devices, I was at the forefront in advocating usability. Sometimes I think that was a good thing, but other times I grieve at the extent to which our electronic devices have either addicted or imprisoned some people who just can’t seem to find the right balance between real exchanges with people versus a glassy stare into their electronic screens!

--
                    Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

Another similar article –
                      http://fossforce.com/2023/07/suse-promises-to-fork-rhel-and-make-it-publicly-available/

In this article a former RHEL executive is introduced as the new SUSE CEO who promises to fork an entity similar to the more welcoming RHEL prior to the IBM acquisition and the initiative also involves the former CentOS CEO.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by Brian Masinick.

--
                      Brian Masinick

namida12

I just watched this youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUXYbt1eLTA

techore

I just watched this youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUXYbt1eLTA

Beautiful!

@JonathanCarter
                          4 days ago
                          Hey Veronice, Debian Project Leader here. Nothing wrong with Flatpacks, they show lots of promise and compliment Debian nicely. That said, welcome to the Debian world, it’s very rare that anyone ever regret making this move!

I disagree with his statement on flatpacks, but I love the fact Jonathan saw the video and posted.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by techore.
                          PPC

because a “costumer” would be someone who designs and makes clothing for television, film, and stage characters or children to wear for Halloween “trick or treating”, so I am imagining people who are translating your English post into another language might get something weird in the translation. But this is a super easy fix, you just need to swap the ‘o’ and the ‘u’: “customer”. I think I have also seen the similar swap in some of your script description posts where you mean to say “customize” but write “costumize”.

Hi! Thanks for pointing that writing mistake. I tend to do lots of typos, while I’m writing because I type very fast but my eyes, even with very thick glasses or contact lenses, are not what they used to be. I have to proof read what I type, and I usually notice first the words that are marked as mistakes and fix those first. There are a few words that I feel that are not correctly written, but if they are not marked as typos, once written, my eyes go just through them, and my brain misses the mistake.
                            I joke a lot, pointing out that I’m usually the king of typos, here in the forum.
                            Anyone, please point out any typos/mistakes- English speaking persons can easily notice it’s a typo and correctly understand what I meant, but users that depend on on-line translators (that are far from perfect) won’t understand at all what I wrote…

@Moderators- please feel free to ALWAYS correct any typo on the texts I publish- and by the way, thanks for fixing the typo I had on the original title of this thread!.

P.

RJP

Hi! Thanks for pointing that writing mistake. I tend to do lots of typos,

Have you made a dyslexia test? I am, and my result is weak. 🙁

• This reply was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by RJP.
                              Brian Masinick

@PPC one of my lifelong friends was intelligent as most of us here are, but spelling was never his forte.

Where I grew up the school had regular spelling contests. We’d learn how to spell words that are not commonly spoken every day.

We also had writing classes. Since I intended to work in technology I took technical writing classes in high school and university and they have been among the most helpful things.

I can tell by everything you say and do that you are also intelligent and as you say, it’s what you are thinking about that is on your mind and it has to ‘spill out’!

I’m happy to do what I do well and allow each person to share whatever they’re passionate about.

I’m grateful that people have different skills. A few days ago some gentlemen were working on some doors, making sure they work properly; I think they were fire retardant doors and they were probably making sure they are up to code. We’ve never had a major event here but we do have a lot of kitchen fires or smoke where people cook something and sometimes forget about it or have some other incident. We have an incredible array of people who are advanced in age with numerous people older than 90, several people over 100 and nearly everyone except us that are over 70, These people have done a lot in their lives and they have tremendous stories to tell.

Add us all together and you can see why the world is a very diverse place. Yes, we have problems and differences of opinions. It’s still impressive what we can do when we work together!

How’s that for a morning essay – all over the place!

--
                                Brian Masinick

techore

Hi! Thanks for pointing that writing mistake. I tend to do lots of typos,

Your English is amazing! I took a foreign language, Spanish, in college and wish I had the same fluency you do in English. Natural to be self conscious, but your English is very good. The whole brain filling gaps so you miss stuff, happens to me, too, when writing English and coding. Very annoying. 😀

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.