suspend s3 with no reason [solved]

• This topic has 15 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Jan 11-12:13 pm by anticapitalista.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    luke67m

Hi, i installed antiX 19.3 32 bit on my new(very old) Dell Inspiron 700m and everything seemed ok. After some configurations and reboots i made and update and now the pc goes continuosly to suspend (s3 state) even before login to X.
    This situation seems similar to various suspend problems i had trying Debian 10 live and opensuse live. with opensuse i “solved” the problem with “NOACPI” in the live boot and acpi=off in the installed boot. With antiX, the use of “acpi=off” at boot does not load X and leave me with console prompt.
    Do you have any suggestion to solve this problem?

• This topic was modified 5 months, 1 week ago by anticapitalista. Reason: solved
    skidoo
    Helpful
    Up
    :D

from a websearch: linux suspend s3 Dell Inspiron 700m
    ^—v
    https://www.linux.org/threads/hibernation-issue-with-lxle-18-04-3-32-bit-on-dell-700m.29495/

my suggest it to continue websearching
    (startpage.com) solved|fixed linux suspend s3 Dell Inspiron 700m
    returns some seemingly promising results

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Hi.
    If antiX 19.3, out of the box, worked without that issue, and an update is the responsible for this problem, we need to figure out what package is the one responsible for this behavior.

If it is OK with you, could you reinstall antiX 19.3 again (without updating) and reboot to the installed system to see that all is working. Please, reboot 2 or 3 times to check that it is really stable, and that not once you experience the premature suspension. This is to make sure that the behavior is fully related to the upgrade and not aggravated by the update. If you experience the premature suspension issue before updating, and this happens at random, then investigating will take longer, as the problem would have been already there (and the update only made it worse).

If all goes well, and you don’t experience even once the suspension problem, update only the package list
    sudo apt update
    without upgrading and post the terminal outputs of:
    inxi -Fxz
    so we can know a bit more about your system. And
    apt list --upgradable
    so we can see all packages that would be upgrading and figure out which could be involved with your issue.

I cannot guaranty we will find the responsible package, and permanently resolve the problem, but you can still use the non-updated installed antiX system and even install and uninstall programs (and update some of the programs you want to update without updating the whole system).

luke67m
    Helpful
    Up

Installation restarted (without any network connection). I will let you know the result.
    I’ve saved the var/log dir and i remember a log of aptget with the list of packages. I will verify.
    I had already made some web search but without model name : too many unusefull results. I will follow skidoo suggestion : thank you.

luke67m
    Helpful
    Up

installation terminated ok and system up and running.
    2 restart
    2 poweroff poweron
    waiting at least a couple of minutes before and after every logon.
    No random suspend.
    Now i’m writing from the fresh antiX installation.

luke67m
    Helpful
    Up

here what you asked : inxi and apt output.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

Thanks for the tests and the computer info.

I have glanced over the list of upgrades, and suspect on:

elogind
    eudev
    gir1.2-polkit-1.0
    libelogind0
    libeudev-dev
    libeudev1
    libpam-elogind
    libpolkit-agent-1-0
    libpolkit-gobject-1-0
    libpolkit-gobject-elogind-1-0
    policykit-1
    runit-helper
    xserver-common
    xserver-xorg-core

I would mark them on hold and install all upgrades, and then reboot again.
    sudo apt-mark hold eudev libeudev-dev libeudev1 elogind libpam-elogind runit-helper xserver-common xserver-xorg-core
    sudo apt upgrade
    If it boots properly, then the suspects were correct.

If you want to figure out which is the one to blame, create a live USB with persistence, hold the above list so that they don’t upgrade, and upgrade the rest and reboot, releasing from hold each package one at a time (and then sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade again), until you find the one to blame for the bad behavior. This way you can have a testing system without affecting the installed system (and having to reinstall antiX again).

The order which I would use to release from hold would be:
    1. The xorg packages
    sudo apt-mark unhold xserver-common xserver-xorg-core
    2. The runit helper
    sudo apt-mark unhold runit-helper
    3. Eudev
    sudo apt-mark unhold eudev libeudev-dev libeudev1
    4. Elogind + policykit
    sudo apt-mark unhold elogind libpam-elogind

I would bet it is related to eudev or Elogind + policykit (but I may be entirely wrong and non of the packages I listed above are the real culprit).

You can see at any time what packages you have put on hold with:
    sudo apt-mark showhold

• This reply was modified 5 months, 2 weeks ago by Xecure. Reason: Reduced package amount to "manual" only
    luke67m
    Helpful
    Up

marked hold your list and made the upgrade.
    everything is working ok.
    for the persistent usb i will need some time.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

marked hold your list and made the upgrade.
    everything is working ok.

Great. The packages in hold can be left there almost permanently, as their updates are not (should not) be required for the other programs running on your system (you are OK with the current “outdated” versions until we find the reason for the strange problematic random suspension behavior).

luke67m
    Helpful
    Up

The problem is not caused by xserver packages : unholded and updated/upgraded and everything is working.
    I tried a live with p-static-root but is too slow. i will continue with the actual installation a redo installation when meet the problem.

luke67m
    Helpful
    Up

Neither runit nor eudev are the cause of the problem.
    unholded both, update/aupgrade and some reboot : i’m writing from installed antiX
    Do you want me to try to unhold elogind/policykit ?

My actual showhold is :
    elogind
    gir1.2-polkit-1.0
    libelogind0
    libpam-elogind
    libpolkit-agent-1-0
    libpolkit-gobject-1-0
    libpolkit-gobject-elogind-1-0
    policykit-1

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Try policykit-1 first and then if all is ok, we can suspect elogind

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

luke67m
    Helpful
    Up

unholded
    gir1.2-polkit-1.0
    libpolkit-agent-1-0
    libpolkit-gobject-1-0
    policykit-1
    update/upgrade and 2 reboot.
    working ok.
    i’ve read the link posted by skidoo and i’ve saved logind.conf from ect/elogind.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

So, it seems the elogind upgrade is the culprit.
    You now have 2 choices.

1. keep elogind on hold and enjoy antiX
    2. upgrade elogind and hope some of the ‘fixes’ in the link skidoo work if the elogind upgrade causes the issue.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

luke67m
    Helpful
    Up

i choose the second.
    i can confirm the problem is related to elogind upgrade : after unhold and upgrade the problem appeared.
    the solution found by skidoo is working : i modified /etc/elogind/logind.conf uncommentig and disabling lidswitch management :
    HandleLidSwitch=ignore

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.