Sway on antiX with elogind

Forum Forums antiX-development Development Sway on antiX with elogind

• This topic has 13 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Nov 24-11:23 pm by Koo.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Dzhigit

Sorry, I am not sure if this is supposed to go here (Development) or in Software.

I downloaded antiX 21 Bullseye runit net ISO for use on a persistent Live USB. (I am doing in a VM right now, but eventually I will put it on a physical USB.) I decided to update the repos to antiX and Debian testing repos, from Debian stable. After doing some things, I tried installing Sway. Showed some errors and didn’t work. So I looked at Sway wiki. And came across this.

To use elogind, wlroots should be compiled with -Dlogind-provider=elogind, or it will try to use libsystemd instead.

For example:

meson build -Dbuildtype=debugoptimized -Dlogind=enabled -Dlogind-provider=elogind
    ninja -C build
    sudo ninja -C build install

I have very little experience with these kind of things, but I downloaded wlroots source code with
    apt-get source wlroots
    and then used to those commands to compile and install libwlroots. It’s mostly working now, but there are still some errors I need to fix. To be honest, I am not 100% sure if that’s what fixed it. However, reinstalling libwlroots from Debian repos broke it again, and compiling wlroots with those flags fixed it again.

Before I started, I searched on the forum for sway, and there were some who got it working, but didn’t say how. They probably used consolekit2 instead of elogind, or the “Direct via setuid” option in the Sway wiki, or they used elogind but did not mention this fix.

One option is to build Debian’s libwlroots source package with those flags, then put the deb in the antiX repos. I don’t know if it’s ABI compatible with the Debian one. However, I know this has been discussed in other places on the forum already, but one way to fix all the random issues like these that are scattered throughout the repos is to consolidate the efforts with Devuan developers by rebasing antiX on Devuan. This will fix quite a few problems.

The other errors look related to logind as well.

loginctl seems to broken.
    loginctl list
    hangs for a long time, then says
    Failed to list sessions: Connection timed out

I attached a screenshot so I don’t have to type it. (Copy and paste does not work through a VM.)

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up
    ::

… but one way to fix all the random issues like these that are scattered throughout the repos is to consolidate the efforts with Devuan developers by rebasing antiX on Devuan. This will fix quite a few problems.

So does sway work on Devuan with wlroots?

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

Unfortunately I did not have much time to test yesterday, but now I think that’s not what the issue was. I did a completely fresh install of antiX 21 Bullseye runit net ISO in a virtual machine, installed elogind, and it was broken out of the box. Every time I try to install it, or restart the service with sv, or use loginctl, it spits out errors. It says it is missing some run-time hard dependency. I don’t know if it has anything to do with the way the package was compiled, but I will look later when I have more time. Screenshots with errors attached.

So does sway work on Devuan with wlroots?

Yes, tested in a fresh install of Devuan Daedalus in a VM.

EDIT: Okay, nevermind the second screenshot, that was with consolekit.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by Dzhigit.
    • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by Dzhigit.
    manyroads
    Helpful
    Up

FWIW Devuan Daedalus is actually Debian Testing not Bullseye.

Pax vobiscum,
    Mark Rabideau - http://many-roads.com
    "For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong." H. L. Mencken
    dwm & i3wm ~Reg. Linux User #449130
    20 Jan 2021 ~ "End of an Error"

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

FWIW Devuan Daedalus is actually Debian Testing not Bullseye.

Yes, I was testing on Testing because my issue in the first post was on antiX Testing. But it’s doing the same thing in antiX Stable.

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

I installed Debian version of elogind. I know the antiX version is modified from the Debian one, so I didn’t know if this would break the system or not. I just wanted to see if this would make loginctl and Sway work. This broke some dependencies so I had to find all the packages and install Debian versions of them instead of antiX versions. The command below may have typos because I had to copy from the VM by hand, since copy and paste doesn’t work.

sudo apt-get install libelogind0=246.9.1-1+debian1 policykit-1=0.105-31 elogind=246.9.1-1+debian1 libpolkit-agent-1-0=0.105-31 libpolkit-gobject-1-0=0.105-31 libpam-elogind=246.9.1-1+debian1

loginctl now works and says “No sessions.” After a live-remaster and reboot, it is now working properly. Now Sway is showing some graphics-related error, but anyway, the problem was with antiX’s elogind package. Is loginctl working for anyone else?

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 1 day ago by Dzhigit. Reason: add whitespace
    Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

The graphics issue was caused by an outdated kernel. After updating from 4.9 to a 5.10 antiX kernel, Sway is running. So elogind in antiX 21 repository is broken. The Debian one is working. From my understanding antiX by default uses consolekit2 instead of elogind, so nobody noticed that elogind was broken. After this I purged all of the Debian elogind packages and replaced them back with antiX’s, and replaced elogind with consolekit2. Now Sway showed an error that it did not have permissions to use the graphics. I ran this command from the Sway wiki:

chmod +s /usr/bin/sway

This fixed it and Sway is now running. However it would be nice if elogind was fixed.

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

I can confirm this only on runit-net versions and I have a fix.

Installing elogind on sysvinit-net and typing loginctl gives no sessions.
    Installing elogind on runit-core and typing loginctl gives no sessions.
    The issue is not with antiX’s version of elogind. antiX elogind is not broken.

The issue is that there is no runit service file in dbus (needed by elogind).

So before installing elogind, install runit-services-core-antix (This provides a dbus service file and is installed on antiX-21-core, which is why simply installing elogind on core shows no issues).

Added: It would be interesting to know how well running sway and consolekit works out.
    seatd and libseat1 is also in the antiX bullseye repos if you want to try them.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

Thank you for speedy solution as always!

Added: It would be interesting to know how well running sway and consolekit works out.

Okay, I’ll keep consolekit2.

seatd and libseat1 is also in the antiX bullseye repos if you want to try them.

I can try later but from I remember, Sway in the repository depends on either elogind or consolekit2. I’ll build it from source if it does.

I think it will be a long time before antiX considers switching to Wayland. Maybe in antiX 25. Wayland is supposed to be lighter than X11, but older hardware does not have Wayland drivers, and one of the purposes for antiX is to run on hardware from the 2000s. Wayland editions of icewm, fluxbox, jwm, herbstluftwm, and others will likely all pull in libwlroots.

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

I run wayland + sway on Arch but with out xorg-wayland, I have no interest running wayland with xorg compatibly layer. Yes it runs pretty good but there is still alot that won’t run on pure wayland most file managers , browsers , conky etc. Why people use wayland with xorg-wayland makes no sense to me wayland is supposed to replace xorg. Wayland or noland.

Linux antix21 5.15.0-3.2-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

alot that won’t run on pure wayland most file managers , browsers , conky etc. Why people use wayland with xorg-wayland makes no sense to me wayland is supposed to replace xorg.

Run Firefox with MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1. I don’t know about Chromium but I expect it to be even better considering Chromium OS runs on Wayland. I’d expect epiphany and badwolf to work because they are based on the GTK WebKit library which is made by GNOME. We will have to use XWayland until more applications are ported to Wayland, but even then we will have XWayland forever because lots of proprietary games will never be updated. I haven’t used it much due to problems with the laptop but I did not install XWayland on antiX and after setting the environment variable for Mozilla, didn’t have any problems.

Dzhigit
    Helpful
    Up

Interesting that there are two different packages, runit-services-core-antix and runit-core-services-antix. Should runit-services-core-antix become a dependency of dbus, or the files in /usr/share/runit/sv/dbus/* be moved to antiX’s dbus package? It seems weird that there is not even a dependecy. However, this problem is not affecting too many people because it is only on antiX net.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

antiX has “runit-services”, which is related to services loaded by runit, and “runit-core” which is an extra packages of core services that are really old sysvinit-like scripts to configure some basic things for the system (like preparing the network, mounting partitions and file systems, loading screen brightness, etc.) before the real runit services are loaded.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

Koo
    Helpful
    Up

@Dzhigit
    Yes I do run firefox with MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1 work around.I also use dmenu with bindsym $mod+d exec dmenu-wl_run -i
    If anyone wants to run wayland with out Xwayland you can just add “xwayland disable” to your config. just comment out to go back to xwayland.

I could not get the wayland scratchpad to work so I made my own with floating so far it works fine. kitty

bindsym $mod+Shift+d exec --no-startup-id kitty --class scratchpad
    for_window [app_id="scratchpad"] floating enable, resize set width 1000px height 600px, move position cursor, move position 800px 0px

Thanks for replying.

• This reply was modified 3 days, 21 hours ago by Koo.

Linux antix21 5.15.0-3.2-liquorix-amd64 #1 ZEN

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.