synaptic: is it installable in sid?

Forum Forums News Sid Upgraders synaptic: is it installable in sid?

• This topic has 33 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated Dec 20-1:34 pm by anticapitalista.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    fungalnetfungalnet

Am I missing something, I don’t see synaptic getting installed, I see synaptic being already installed.
    So what you are saying is that you can install synaptic in 19/buster and then upgrade to sid? If so, this does not make synaptic installable while you are on sid. Reversing to stable, installing, then going back to sid is an exercise in futility.

Cleaning up cache does nothing to contribute to the process. Why do you repeat that step?

Forum Admin
    anticapitalistaanticapitalista

@fungalnet – You need to install dbus-x11 and libpam-elogind (and a good idea to also install libpam-elogind-compat) before installing synaptic.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

KooKoo

I,m not saying you do anything just pointing out I found the above in the sid log statement and the fact that I use 19 runit buster version. Maybe someone in the Debian forums may help you sorry if I confused you..

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Koo.

MX-19 4.19.0-6-amd6 (i3) : Debian-10 4.19.67-2+deb10u2 (i3) : anitX-19 runit (5.3.14-antix.1-amd64-smp) (i3)
    2 Laps T430 17.2 X220 17.4

malemale

@fungalnet – You need to install dbus-x11 and libpam-elogind (and a good idea to also install libpam-elogind-compat) before installing synaptic.

apt install libpam-elogind-compat
    Paketlisten werden gelesen... Fertig
    Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.       
    Statusinformationen werden eingelesen.... Fertig
    Die folgenden NEUEN Pakete werden installiert:
      libpam-elogind-compat
    0 aktualisiert, 1 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 1 nicht aktualisiert.
    Es müssen 2.732 B an Archiven heruntergeladen werden.
    Nach dieser Operation werden 13,3 kB Plattenplatz zusätzlich benutzt.
    Holen:1 http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix//sid sid/main amd64 libpam-elogind-compat amd64 1.3 [2.732 B]
    Es wurden 2.732 B in 0 s geholt (20,9 kB/s).     
    Laden der Fehlerberichte … Erledigt
    »Found/Fixed«-Informationen werden ausgewertet … Erledigt
    serious Fehler von libpam-elogind-compat (→ 1.3) <Ausstehend>
     b1 - #913800 - libpam-elogind-compat will always be RC-buggy
    Zusammenfassung:
     libpam-elogind-compat(1 Fehler)
    Sind Sie sicher, dass Sie die oben genannten Pakete installieren bzw. ein Upgrade von ihnen durchführen wollen? [Y/n/?/...] n
    ******************************************************************************
    *** Beenden mit Fehler wurde erzwungen, um die Installation zu anzuhalten. ***
    ******************************************************************************
    E: Unterprozess /usr/bin/apt-listbugs apt hat Fehlercode zurückgegeben (10)
    E: Failure running script /usr/bin/apt-listbugs apt

Apart from that, @fungalnet still hasn’t explained why he wants to install <synaptic>.

I had already written that I consider synaptic for a siducer as non-go.
    apt offers EVERYTHING this user needs.
    The opposite is simply wrong.

Male is the capital of the Maldives and its wonderful people.

Forum Admin

apt-listbugs is wrong!

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

masinickmasinick

Synaptic is a graphical interface (GUI) installation tool.

Some people feel that only apt or apt-get are appropriate for the cutting edge versions.

While the command versions certainly are explicit in their operation, there are no hard certainties about using only one tool. That’s “engineering preference” and that’s it.

Brian Masinick

masinickmasinick

Synaptic is a graphical interface (GUI) installation tool.

Some people feel that only apt or apt-get are appropriate for the cutting edge versions.

While the command versions certainly are explicit in their operation, there are no hard certainties about using only one tool. That’s “engineering preference” and that’s it.

Brian Masinick

malemale

apt-listbugs is wrong!

Not for me!

$ apt show libpam-elogind-compat
    Package: libpam-elogind-compat
    Version: 1.3
    Priority: standard
    Section: main
    Maintainer: Debian Ecosystem Init Diversity Team <debian-init-diversity@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
    Installed-Size: 13,3 kB
    Provides: libpam-systemd
    Depends: libpam-elogind
    Replaces: libpam-systemd
    Download-Size: 2.732 B
    APT-Sources: http://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/mxlinux/packages/antix//sid sid/main amd64 Packages
    Description: Compatibility package for testing integration of libpam-elogind into Debian
     This is a mostly-empty dependency and compatibility package.
     It allows libpam-elogind to satisfy libpam-systemd dependencies for
     packages which have not yet been updated.
     It also provides a compatibility symlink for packages which explicitly
     refer to pam_systemd.so.
     Please note that libpam-elogind doesn't provide systemd --user. If you require
     that functionality you must install the real libpam-systemd.
     On Debian systems, this entire package is for testing only.
     It will never be in a Debian release.  It is provided in Debian
     experimental to make testing easier.

Forum Admin

It is not on Debian experimental, it is provided by antiX-19 and *should* be installed since we do not use systemd at all.

Cleaning up cache does nothing to contribute to the process. Why do you repeat that step?

Right, that’s extraneous to the testing. Why (in my usage) == several other concurrent virtualbox instances were running, so I had skimped when provisioning the instance in which I performed the test. Without the interim cleanup, the cumulative debfiles downloaded during the (dist)upgrade operation led to “error: no space left on device”. Why repeat? Shrug ~~ mebbe a symptom of OCD obsessive compulsive disorder?

Am I missing something, I don’t see synaptic getting installed, I see synaptic being already installed.
    So what you are saying is that you can install synaptic in 19/buster and then upgrade to sid? If so, this does not make synaptic installable while you are on sid. Reversing to stable, installing, then going back to sid is an exercise in futility.

That’s a good point (upgraded, vs installed).
    Today I re-retested, starting from antiX19 base (sans pre-installed synaptic):

FWIW, in this test, success didn’t require installation of any specific (identified by name) packages.

This is kids and new users perspective, I do agree.
    We really want synaptic in sid and in future versions of AntiX, it is not only a big help for showing what is available but quickly helps to understand what happens when installing or updating packets.
    It is easy to see which repos are active and get a first idea what they really are, switching between repos as well as reverting to standard is very transparent. Easy to add a repo too. Shows what will be pulled in by any packet and where it will be installed, after installation that can be still referred too and has often been a major help while troubleshooting or finding installation location.

Sid is not the work standard but used on live sticks for various purposes, mostly to see what is upcoming but also for fun learning. On rare occasions backporting to our gold sticks which have to cope with a very mixed bag of hardware.

As the moderator I encourage console usage but do not insist, its for work not cult..

malemale

It is not on Debian experimental, it is provided by antiX-19 and *should* be installed since we do not use systemd at all.

This is on antiX17.4 base, not antiX19.
    Why should I?
    Already the installation was set to sid. https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/antix-17-4-1-icewm-spacefm/#post-27554

Yes, and synaptic was already removed at the beginning of apt…
    Maybe it’s time to remove the sid option from the installer. I am sorry that Debian chose systemd.

Forum Admin

The sid/testing options were removed on release of antiX-19.

fungalnetfungalnet

I know that there is not even a dot of information on synaptic that someone can not get from apt/apt-get/dpkg or the dreaded aptittude. But for glancing through installed and uninstalled software, review their dependencies, their sizes and when a decision is made to install something do it on the terminal. Synaptic is great for that.
    I’ve stopped using synaptic as package management ever since they started messing with what apt and what apt-get does and what they used to do and what they do now. Those options of “smart” upgrade and “not so smart” upgrade for which from week to week can change the behavior of what they actually do, just terrifies me.

Tell me, without researchin for 1/2 hour, what are the top 20 biggest software you have installed, since you are looking for a quick way to cut down on the size of the installation? Aaahh… Gimp is on the list, I didn’t know it was so big, OUT it goes till someday I need it.
    There are 100s of simulator games on the repositories, hhmmm which one I have never tried. Maybe size (large) means it is more complex and therefore more interesting ….
    There are 8 different filemanagers I know off, let’s see, their dependencies. Maybe there is one that only depends on stuff I already have installed and therefore it is light and quick, while some other ones are small but they bring a ton of new dependencies in, which means they are actually huge.

Questions like these are answered by synaptic really fast. To “write scripts” that will produce “terminal output” with such information may really ruin your day. And by the time you figure out the right one for the 2nd search, there were so many false hits with too much output in between the outcome of the previous search had fallen beyond the scope of your terminal cache.

For my use habits of synaptic, it would have been fine if it run just as user, no root rights what so ever. No updates, no upgrades, no installs, no removals. What the hell would I need the dreaded logind or some policykit for? Because to have the privilege to use the gui someone on Debian decides I should. I wish I knew enough to take the synaptic code and remove all its root utilities, just have it for browsing through software.

without researchin for 1/2 hour, what are the top 20 biggest software you have installed
    [..]
    Synaptic is great for that.

Agreed, and FWIW I use synaptic (er, wildbob) daily ~~ the package details pane usually provides the URL of the associated project’s homepage, and enables one-click (selectbox) lookup of dependant packages….

There are 8 different filemanagers I know off, let’s see, their dependencies. Maybe there is one that only depends on stuff I already have installed

Yes! That’s a GREAT example

it would have been fine if it run just as user, no root rights what so ever.
    [..]
    just have it for browsing through software.

You should be able to do so, even under the policykit constraints.

sudo supports the inclusion of “addon” rules files ( placed into subdir beneath / etc / sudoers.d )
    and antiX provides a rule file ( / etc / sudoers.d / antixers )

%users ALL=(root) NOPASSWD: /usr/sbin/synaptic
    presence of this line (or the Exec= line with a .desktop “launcher)
    causes your launch attempts to wind up with a root-permissioned instance of synaptic.
    Try this:

sudo leafpad /etc/sudoers.d/antixers

add a # to the beginning of the line mentioning synaptic, then save the antixeers file.
    The change takes effect immediately.
    Now, you can launch “synaptic” (no sudo, no gksu, no jujumanji) from commandline
    and you’ll see a startup advisement that it is operating in “lookaround only mode”.

Whenever you _do_ want to addremoveinstall stuff, you can still choose to invoke “sudo synaptic”

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.