synclient: command not found

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions synclient: command not found

• This topic has 59 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Mar 20-10:05 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    izby

Another problem: mouse configuration doesn’t work (doesn’t matter from Control Center or from application menu): it opens, but the changes are not applied (it was working before the reinstallation).

I need to disable the touchpad and desensitize the mouse. synclient TouchpadOff=1 does not work (command not found), sudo modprobe -r psmouse works until reboot only. Is there a simple way to fix it?

UPD:
      For some reasons AntiX did not install xserver-xorg-input-synaptic. I fixed it with Synaptic, and now I can disable touchpad. But how to change mouse sensitize?

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by izby.
      Attachments:
      PPC

I can confirm: antiX 22 Full includes synclient, antiX 23 Full (at least the 64bits version) does not include it, for some reason. as the OP noticed, installing xserver-xorg-input-synaptic should “fix” that particular problem.

Unfortunatly, that program does not check if synclient is installed in the system (because I guess it always as been) and simply sends the commands that correspond to the user’s selection and display the messages that state the commands have been run, inducing the user in error, if synclient is not installed…

Proposed solution, update the script, so it checks if synclient is installed, and if not, ask for user’s permission to install it. That makes ds-mouse almost “fail proof”… If synclient is not installed, the script should just exit. That’s part of the reason why I usually create, in my scripts, a check for dependencies, even if they are part of antiX (like yad).
        EDIT: As per the posts below: synclient is no longer used and has been replaced by xinput. That package should be installed (ex: using the command: sudo apt update && sudo apt install xinput). Xinput can be used to enable/disable the touchpad. There are some scripts that allow users to do that. The rest of the missing features in ds-mouse are currently being discussed, both here and elsewhere in the forum.

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PPC.
        • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PPC.
        izby

I installed xserver-xorg-input-synaptic and re-install ds-mouse. Now I can disable the touchpad, but all other ds-mouse features still don’t work: I can’t disable acceleration, change the cursor size, etc. How to fix it?

Stéphane Ascoët

synclient TouchpadOff=1

It’s funny to read here that command I type several times a day

Proposed solution, update the script, so it checks if synclient is installed, and if not, ask for user’s permission to install it.

On the computer I ran AntiX most of the time, even with the lowest setting the touchpad is still too sensitive and fancy behaviours(tap on click and so on) are annoying. Is there still improvements that can be done to this “mouse panel” to solve this things ? And could it be renamed “mouse/touchpad panel” (or something similar) ?

izby

Guys, touchpad is off already. Mouse configuration still doesn’t work. I need to disable acceleration and change mouse sensitivity.

Robin

Same issue here.

@izby : How did you make the synclient TouchpadOff=1 work after install of xserver-xorg-input-synaptic package?

For me the re-installation of ds-mouse-antix package doesn’t do the trick:

$ synclient TouchpadOFF=1
                Couldn't find synaptics properties. No synaptics driver loaded?

What driver should I load? Is there a modprobe command I have to apply to make it work?

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Brian Masinick

The package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and the synaptics feature has been replaced by xinput; this happened a few years ago, but the old packages will soon be purged from the system.

To properly fix the touchpad, perform these commands:

sudo apt update; sudo apt purge xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, sudo apt install xinput

I also altered my Touchpad.bash script to account for this change.

Here is my current script:

#!/bin/bash
                  # Touchpad.bash
                  read TPdevice <<< $( xinput | sed -nre '/TouchPad|Touchpad/s/.*id=([0-9]*).*/\1/p' )
                  state=$( xinput list-props "$TPdevice" | grep "Device Enabled" | grep -o "[01]$" )
                  if [ "$state" -eq '1' ];then
                      xinput --disable "$TPdevice" && notify-send -i emblem-nowrite "Touchpad" "Disabled" 2> /dev/null
                  else
                      xinput --enable "$TPdevice" && notify-send -i emblem-nowrite "Touchpad" "Enabled" 2> /dev/null
                  fi
                  • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: simplified and clarified explanation

--
                  Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

The reason that I no longer use synclient is that it is no longer supported.

--
                    Brian Masinick

Robin

The reason that I no longer use synclient is that it is no longer supported.

That makes sense. So we have to move on to something else.

read TPdevice <<< $( xinput | sed -nre ‘/TouchPad|Touchpad/s/.*id=([0-9]*).*/\1/p’ )

$ xinput | sed -nre '/TouchPad|Touchpad/s/.*id=([0-9]*).*/\1/p'
                      bash: xinput: Command not found

Brian @Masinick , what am I missing? (Running antiX 23.1 full runit live 32 bit (same result on 64 bit, also full runit live, even when the 64 bit desktop doesn’t have a touchpad)
                      How did you make it work?

izby

I just install xserver-xorg-input-synaptic from Synaptic Package Manager. It helped with touchpad, but it didn’t help with mouse settings.

Robin

I just install xserver-xorg-input-synaptic

@izby, Many thanks! Hmmm.. Here it doesn’t enable the ability to disable the touchpad, insisting on there is no driver. Did you have to reboot? (That wouldn’t be possible on my live system without remastering it completely beforehand, to have the new package included into the linuxfs container.)
                          Or did it work right after installing the package?

Brian Masinick

The package xserver-xorg-input-synaptics and the synaptics feature has been replaced by xinput; this happened a few years ago, but the old packages will soon be purged from the system.

To properly fix the touchpad, perform these commands:

sudo apt update; sudo apt purge xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, sudo apt install xinput

Use this script in place of whatever Touchpad tool or script you currently use:

#!/bin/bash
                            # Touchpad.bash
                            read TPdevice <<< $( xinput | sed -nre '/TouchPad|Touchpad/s/.*id=([0-9]*).*/\1/p' )
                            state=$( xinput list-props "$TPdevice" | grep "Device Enabled" | grep -o "[01]$" )
                            if [ "$state" -eq '1' ];then
                                xinput --disable "$TPdevice" && notify-send -i emblem-nowrite "Touchpad" "Disabled" 2> /dev/null
                            else
                                xinput --enable "$TPdevice" && notify-send -i emblem-nowrite "Touchpad" "Enabled" 2> /dev/null
                            fi

Be sure you make it executable; e.g. chmod +x Touchpad.bash.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Brian Masinick. Reason: simplified and clarified explanation

--
                            Brian Masinick

caprea

I use xinput instead.

I no longer use synclient is that it is no longer supported

I agree, xinput works on antiX23.1, but it needs to be installed

sudo apt install xinput

One helping site for xinput is here
                              https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SynapticsTouchpad

Brian Masinick

NOTE: IF you persist in keeping xserver-xorg-input-synaptic and do not install xinput and replace your old script with the newer script, and also make the script executable, problems will continue. I made this simple change and had no further issues – for me it was a while ago.

--
                                Brian Masinick

Robin

I agree, xinput works on antiX23.1, but it needs to be installed

sudo apt install xinput

Many thanks @Caprea !
                                  The most important sentence from your posting in bold for me:

…but it needs to be installed

I wasn’t aware from Brians reply that this xinput refers to an additional package to be installed rather than to a command to be executed merely. I thought of some configuring task missing and in need to be done, and expected the needed replacement package for the no longer supported synclient to be present in antiX 23.1 already, so it can work in live mode out of the box.

Will try to install it and see whether I can make it work without reboot (If this works only after reboot, this would require a remaster first)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.