synclient: command not found

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions synclient: command not found

• This topic has 59 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Mar 20-10:05 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    PPC

@izby:
      sorry, to say (I can say that, not being a part of the Development team nor a Moderator):
      – I really don’t care what any particular user “wants”. I care what I think it’s best for the community.
      – It was already explained “how to make ds-mouse work”. That is being tested. I assume that you are not a programmer, so, the only thing you can help with (other than complaining) is testing future ds-mouse test versions.
      – That sentence “You changed something and we need to return it” is wrong on so many ways: anticapitalista creates antiX for free. anticapitalista changed, in recent antiX versions, the program that manages pointing devices for a newer one (since the older one seemed to no longer have support?). When that change happened no one noticed that changing that would stop some functions of ds-mouse working. No one “needs” to do anything. antiX is not a corporation. No one “needs” to do anything. The dev team and contributors, such as me, Robin, Mr Masinick, etc, are trying hard to both have xinput available by default in antiX (if that happens, when antix is updated, xinput will be installed, if it’s missing) AND change ds-mouse so it works with xinput, so all the missing features work once again.

P.

Brian Masinick

For me it doesn’t matter. I just want ds-mouse to work.
        It worked on 23, but it does not work on 23.1, and the team knows why. AntiX 23 updated to the last version works fine on my netbook, but fresh AntiX 23.1 on my laptop works awful. Just explain me how to make ds-mouse works. You changed something and we need to return it.

In that case the best thing for you is to return to using antiX 23; they are ALMOST the same, but as you know, NOT quite identical.
        For me, I have both and both work fine for me.

As far as the ds-mouse tool it is designed for synaptics at the moment. Dave, the developer who created it, is aware of the changes.
        I don’t know if he will have two different versions for the two methods or logic to handle either one, but he has been contacted and is well aware now.

Incidentally, ds-mouse and ds-mouse.py are great tools. All of the features in the tool can be managed in other ways too. For instance, I like to change my mouse cursor color, so I use sudo galternatives and change it; I’ve already added packages myself to create the colors I want to use.
        Acceleration and other features can also be managed by standard tools. If you are so-inclined, xset is one such tool; Dave has generously made ALL of that easy with his tool, and I’m sure he can and will add additional capabilties or create additional tools.

As Miagi once told “Daniel-san” in the classic movie, “Karate Kid”, “Patience ‘Daniel-san'”!

--
        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

@Dave – I created a thread to discuss reworking the mouse gui (ds-mouse), over at https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/reimplementing-a-gui-mouse-configuration-tool-in-antix-23/#post-135084

My work-around, for now is just checking for mouse and touchpad input devices. This seems to work:

read TPdevice <<< $( xinput | sed -nre '/TouchPad|Touchpad/s/.*id=([0-9]*).*/\1/p' )
          read Mousedevice <<< $(xinput | sed -nre '/Mouse|Mouse/s/.*id=([0-9]*).*/\1/p')
          echo "Touchpad is device: $TPdevice (if nothing is indicated, it's not detected)"
          echo "Mouse is device: $Mousedevice (if nothing is indicated, it's not detected)"

@PPC sorry to say, these strings that you are using are device specific; mine differ and neither the MOUSE/Mouse or the Touchpad show up;

Here’s my listing; I’ll fool around with your strings to see if I can get mine to work.

xinput list
          ⎡ Virtual core pointer                    	id=2	[master pointer  (3)]
          ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer              	id=4	[slave  pointer  (2)]
          ⎜   ↳ HP HP USB WHEEL MOUSE                   	id=8	[slave  pointer  (2)]
          ⎜   ↳ SYNA32AC:00 06CB:CD50 Mouse             	id=10	[slave  pointer  (2)]
          ⎜   ↳ SYNA32AC:00 06CB:CD50 Touchpad          	id=9	[slave  pointer  (2)]
          ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                   	id=3	[master keyboard (2)]
              ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard             	id=5	[slave  keyboard (3)]
              ↳ Video Bus                               	id=6	[slave  keyboard (3)]
              ↳ Power Button                            	id=7	[slave  keyboard (3)]
              ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard            	id=11	[slave  keyboard (3)]
              ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                          	id=12	[slave  keyboard (3)]
              ↳ Wireless hotkeys                        	id=13	[slave  keyboard (3)]

--
          Brian Masinick

izby

So, do you really think that a broken tool is OK? Because now the official mouse configuration tool does not work and does not show any error notification. That’s how it works for all new users. Are you sure that’s how it should be? Does not matter why that happened: it worked before, it works if you just update old OS, but it does not work for new installations. It would be fine if you warned me about this before I installed the new version.

P.S. I’ve translated several thousand lines, but I don’t see the point in it anymore. I’m not sure if I’ll have the patience to continue using the OS tomorrow. It works wrong and you know it.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by anticapitalista. Reason: Russian text deleted. Stick to one language
            Brian Masinick
              read Mousedev <<< $(xinput | sed -nre '/Mouse|Mouse/s/.*id=([0-9]*).*/\1/p')
              [antix23]/home/masinick: > echo $Mousedev
              read MyTouchpad <<< $( xinput | sed -nre '/TouchPad|Touchpad/s/.*id=([0-9]*).*/\1/p' )
              [antix23]/home/masinick: > echo $MyTouchpad

This works for me.

--
              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick
                read TPdevice <<< $( xinput | sed -nre '/TouchPad|Touchpad/s/.*id=([0-9]*).*/\1/p' ) ; echo $TPdevice
                read mouse <<< $(xinput | sed -nre '/Mouse|Mouse/s/.*id=([0-9]*).*/\1/p') ; echo $mouse

--
                Brian Masinick

izby

In that case the best thing for you is to return to using antiX 23

The first time I installed AntiX 23.1 with a root password and a separate home section, and it didn’t load after reboot. I decided it was a random bug and installed it again. Nothing has changed. Then I tried to use Mint, but in the end I tried to install AntiX again, this time AntiX 23, the same result. I had already installed AntiX before and the only thing I changed was the root password and the home partition at the same time. And I reinstall AntiX 23.1 with no root password. And now I know how this bug works.

I reinstall the OS about 4 or 6 time this two weeks, and now you’re suggesting that I reinstall the same OS again. If I’ll do this, it will not be AntiX. I’ll save it on old laptop I never use, but I will never use it as my main system,

Try to understand me: it make me sad and mad, little things are more important than something else. And now I’m almost sure that one day you will do the same for my laptop with AntiX 23 too: you will just update the OS, remove something I used and you won’t warn me about this and explain how to fix it. I don’t believe I’m the only one who noticed this. I’m the only one who bothers enough to write about this on a website that is blocked in my country.For me it’s almost a physical pain. If I had known about this, I would never have installed AntiX, but you did not consider it necessary to warn your users about the changes.

But I agree: we don’t agree on philosophy. For me everyone is important, for you no one.

abc-nix

Try to understand me: it make me sad and mad, little things are more important than something else. And now I’m almost sure that one day you will do the same for my laptop with AntiX 23 too: you will just update the OS, remove something I used and you won’t warn me about this and explain how to fix it. I don’t believe I’m the only one who noticed this. I’m the only one who bothers enough to write about this on a website that is blocked in my country.For me it’s almost a physical pain. If I had known about this, I would never have installed AntiX, but you did not consider it necessary to warn your users about the changes.

izby, antiX 23.1 was in beta since December 23rd to February 22nd. During that time nobody detected the issue, but fortunately you found it, so it can be worked on. It is unfortunate, but these things happen because very few people like to provide their time testing software in a beta state. From the twenty-something users who participated in said thread, nobody found it.

I understand you are having a hard time now, but the other users who already went through all the testing are also a bit tired and are trying to provide workarounds. Unfortunately, most users aren’t programmers either, so they can only provide workaround to keep things as close to original as possible.

You can keep using the synclient method you found that works, and you can also take people’s advice with a pinch of salt. Just because someone makes a suggestion doesn’t mean it is the best option for you, and you also know this.

So, now we need to explore a solution that can work for both people updating from antiX 23 and new installations with antiX 23.1. I think Dave, Masinick, PPC and you can collaborate to reach this goal, as you are someone who represents the users that need synclient, and Masinick is one who represents the users that have issues with synclient. And PPC and Dave are working on a way to adapt psmouse, so it is best to collaborate both the three groups and find middle ground.

Brian Masinick

ds-mouse (the script) currently has this logic:

function touchpad() {
                          if grep -iq "TOUCHPAD=.*false" $user_config; then
                              synclient TouchpadOff=1
                          else
                              synclient TouchpadOff=0
                          fi
                      }

I propose adding a few more lines to implement additional support for xinput;
                      I’ll see if I can work up a solution by copying the entire script, adding my own logic and see if it integrates cleanly and works. If it DOES, I will gladly share it here.

In the meantime, this script works; I simply make it executable and add it to my PATH –

cat Touchpad.bash 
                      #!/bin/bash
                      # Touchpad.bash
                      read TPdevice <<< $( xinput | sed -nre '/TouchPad|Touchpad/s/.*id=([0-9]*).*/\1/p' )
                      state=$( xinput list-props "$TPdevice" | grep "Device Enabled" | grep -o "[01]$" )
                      if [ "$state" -eq '1' ];then
                          xinput --disable "$TPdevice" && notify-send -i emblem-nowrite "Touchpad" "Disabled" 2> /dev/null
                      else
                          xinput --enable "$TPdevice" && notify-send -i emblem-nowrite "Touchpad" "Enabled" 2> /dev/null
                      fi

--
                      Brian Masinick

Robin

Are you sure that’s how it should be?

@izby No. For sure not. But please keep in mind, this OS is made by humans, and please take into account to err is human. If somebody had reported that issue during the long testing phase of antiX 23.1, it would have been fixed before releasing it, be assured.

It will be fixed, all interested people are working hard on it to get it redone. Maybe you will join the party?

Until then, please consider “Configure mouse” entry in control centre hardware section as broken.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

PPC

ds-mouse (the script) currently has this logic:

Mr Masinick – I already provided a test version of ds-mouse, on the other thread I created for it… It would be great if we work together on trying to solve this, and not waste resources writing the same at the same time… Since the OP does not seem to be tech savvy, it would be better if someone more experienced, like yourself, tried to test it first, so it can be suggested for more average users…

Brian Masinick

Excellent! If I modify the following function in /usr/local/bin/ds-mouse by adding the xinput logic to the function below, it WORKS!

I tested it on my antiX 23.1 system, and it NO longer spits out an error when I disable or enable the touchpad!

function touchpad() {
                                if grep -iq "TOUCHPAD=.*false" $user_config; then
                                    synclient TouchpadOff=1
                                else
                                    synclient TouchpadOff=0
                                fi

state=$( xinput list-props "$TPdevice" | grep "Device Enabled" | grep -o "[01]$" )

if [ "$state" -eq '1' ];then
                                    xinput --disable "$TPdevice" && notify-send -i emblem-nowrite "Touchpad" "Disabled" 2> /dev/null
                                else
                                    xinput --enable "$TPdevice" && notify-send -i emblem-nowrite "Touchpad" "Enabled" 2> /dev/null
                                fi
                            }

--
                            Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

@Dave or someone capable of putting this into the code, would you do the “deed” please?

I took care of the small code change and tested it on a system with xinput; since I did not get rid of the synaptics code, it ought to work in those scenarios too, but that would be good to retest.

--
                              Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

@PPC I didn’t see your post, but the task is done and it was pretty easy; both of us have written the code before as it turns out.

--
                                Brian Masinick

PPC

In case the OP is still using antiX (because, you know, we can’t create software out of thin air, whenever a problem is discovered): an alternative that you can use already exists and was made available (it’s currently in a testing versions): https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/reimplementing-a-gui-mouse-configuration-tool-in-antix-23/page/4/#post-135869

EDIT: I just re-read your posts… it seems I won’t be able to make you happy: currently the GUI does not “change mouse sensitivity”, as you want… but it will get there. Patience is a virtue.

EDIT2: I just added “speed” to the GUI, that I think is approximated what “sensitivity” meant, since it allows for more detailed control of the mouse, because the lowest the speed, the finer control the user has? If I’m wrong, please correct me.

P.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PPC.
                                  • This reply was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by PPC.
                                  • This reply was modified 1 month ago by PPC.
                                Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 60 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.