synclient: command not found

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions synclient: command not found

• This topic has 59 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated Mar 20-10:05 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    anti-apXos

Personally, I still prefer the synaptics driver. It has several features that the libinput driver doesn’t and apparently never will. I continue to use it and it works fine. I don’t see why it matters whether it’s still actively being developed. If it works, it works.

The best way to make changes to pointer settings permanent (whether using synpatics or libinput driver) is to add or modify the relevant conf file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d with the settings you want.

Brian Masinick

Personally, I still prefer the synaptics driver. It has several features that the libinput driver doesn’t and apparently never will. I continue to use it and it works fine. I don’t see why it matters whether it’s still actively being developed. If it works, it works.

The best way to make changes to pointer settings permanent (whether using the synaptic or libinput driver) is to add or modify the relevant conf file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d with the settings you want.

You are right to want to make the choice that works best for you, and also as long as the synaptics driver remains available and it is what you prefer, it does NOT matter what anyone else thinks, whether it’s me, Linus Torvalds, or even Al Gore! Choice is vitally important, and I am glad that you are standing firm with your preference. I applaud and respect your preference, though I’ve personally chosen to use the libinput driver, at least on some of my systems. I like choice and alternatives too! 😉

--
        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

“So, now we need to explore a solution that can work for both people updating from antiX 23 and new installations with antiX 23.1. I think Dave, Masinick, PPC and you can collaborate to reach this goal, as you are someone who represents the users that need synclient, and Masinick is one who represents the users that have issues with synclient. And PPC and Dave are working on a way to adapt psmouse, so it is best to collaborate both the three groups and find middle ground.”

There’s no reason to force either Libinput/xinput or synaptics/synclient on anyone; at least two technologies are available. The great thing about freely available software is that it provides choice. So for those who prefer the “classic status quo” when it comes to peripheral devices, hold firm to the synclient technology. For those with hardware for which synclient and synaptics no longer work, the xinput/Libinput solution is available.

Personally I did not even look into this until we were testing an Alpha build of antiX 23.1; all of a sudden my mouse pointer did not work at all, at least on the Touchpad; I’ll have to look back to the thread to see what my report indicated; that’s what sent me looking at xinput and I implemented it with my own Touchpad script, which had previously utilized synclient. I THINK that I still have synclient solutions running on some of my older systems; I’ll have to verify that later.

Anyway, no reason to get rid of either; for those where the classic touchpad works with synclient, keep using it.
          If you need a different solution, use it because of either need or preference, whatever is appropriate for each user.
          The average person won’t do a thing unless something breaks.

--
          Brian Masinick

Stéphane Ascoët

– I really don’t care what any particular user “wants”. I care what I think it’s best for the community.

I wouldn’t be so rude… personal experiences with software is very important…

anticapitalista changed, in recent antiX versions, the program that manages pointing devices for a newer one (since the older one seemed to no longer have support?).

P.

It seems he didn’t change it since there is nor functional “xinput” nor working “synclient”. It looks like an automatic package cleaning at some moment in the making process.

PPC

It seems he didn’t change it since

I did not express myself correctly – anticapitalista (as far as I pieced together) changed antiX so it no longer required synaptics to handle the touchpad, and removed synaptics. No one noticed that removing that package would make it impossible for ds-mouse (the GUI that manages mouse/touchpad in antiX) to manage most settings… We are not a company, we don’t have weekly reunions about what will be done…
              Like Marcelo says often – antiX is created in a caotic way, without a process, because anticapitalista manages the most important pieces of it, and decides what will be added or removed BUT no one can know with 100% certainty, how those decisions will impact on the large numbers of packages that are included in antiX. It’s rare, when something gets completely broken, when something is changed in antiX, but it does happen. It can happen because some change anticapitalista decided to do, some change that a contributor did…
              Ex:
              – ds-mouse is no longer fully functional because it depends on synaptics, that is no longer included in recent antiX versions… and also ds-mouse, assumes that synaptics is always present (because, when ds-mouse was written, synaptics was built into antiX) and says it performed actions it can’t perform without synaptics installed.
              – the “pt_BR” localization of the Control Centre has a huge gap, between the tabs and the buttons, apparently caused by excessive text in that localization
              – the “it” localization of IceWM Toolbar Icon Manager was broken because the translators “translated” stuff that were variables, not text
              – multiple versions of the Samba GUI’s that Robin is developing for antiX broke some features, while fixing others
              – the zzzfm localization was broken in the 23.1 iso because it did not include the required localization files
              – some app was reported by Robin has not being localized because, by mistake, an older almost empty localization file was included in antiX
              – I once created a version of the FT10 package that included a last minute addition… after that package was sent to anticapitalista, I noticed that my last minute change broke the way the package worked, if installed (and not already in the system)…
              – Problems in Debian packaging broke LibreOffice for users that updated antix not once but twice in 2 weeks…

So yes. antiX development is often a chaotic mess. But, like @Robin pointed out recently, antiX is a great product, and keeps improving almost every single day. I would say that it’s a “self correcting system”- when something goes wrong, it does not take long until the problem is corrected…

Case in point – In about a week, I developed a script that anyone can use, that replaces almost completely what ds-mouse did, without requiring synaptics (and yes, installing xinput automatically, if it’s not in the user’s system and the users allows the installation)

And I don’t think I was “so rude”. I don’t think I was rude, ever, to anyone here. I was honest. I don’t care if any particular user throws a fit and demands that “antiX is fixed”. That’s not how things work.
              Lets say you are using the most used OS in the World, and after one of the updates that are forced, your printer stops working completely. You paid for that OS, so you can complaint to the company that creates it, right? Right. How does that work out for you? Does doing that work better or worse than waiting for a problem to be solved in antiX, that is completely free, and also free of spyware?
              So, no, I don’t like anyone demanding anything here, because, you see… I’m more worried about getting stuff done and solving problems than being “politically correct” when people complain…

P.

Robin

antiX development is often a chaotic mess.

Please, don’t underestimate or disesteem the creative impulse resulting from chaos, bringing forth the best of possibilities always in the end, which are overlooked or even suppressed when restrained into strict stays, like what a commercially oriented company has to observe in order to maximise profit for their shareholders. Examples for the power of chaos? See:
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_theory
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractal
                https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaos_game

Expand the listing at discretion.

Our environment, the universe, is based on pure chaos. People are used to personalise it and call it God, which is legitimate, as long not entailing fanaticism and persecution of people of different faith.

The point is, to know how to master the chaos. (Check out what Einstein has said about this)
                Quoted from current statements of a research coordinator:
                »We cannot prevent the fundamental chaos, but we can learn to master it. Einstein also said, “You can never solve problems with the same mindset that created them“ and “Creativity [Imagination] is more important than knowledge since knowledge is finite“.«
                https://gsoflog.lfo.tu-dortmund.de/news-und-events/ordnung-braucht-nur-der-dumme-das-genie-beherrscht-das-chaos/
                (please use e.g. translate paginas web by Felipe PS to see/read the page in English or in your language)

And yes, form my perspective, antiX is pretty successful in mastering the chaos. That’s another of the ingredients what makes it unique and vivid.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Brian Masinick

@robin said: “And yes, form my perspective, antiX is pretty successful in mastering the chaos. That’s another of the ingredients what makes it unique and vivid.”

That is one of the best statements made today about the overall state of the efforts currently taking place.

Lots of other distributions are doing things, and some of them are very interesting too, but in this intense level of activity that takes place, sometimes we underestimate just how much work goes into this effort, and the majority of it is done by around a half dozen people; occasionally a few more people contribute, but to claim even a half dozen regular contributors requires qualifying what “regular” is, especially since everyone has other activities: work, caring for family, friends, loved ones, contributing in their community. I think it is FANTASTIC what results from the efforts of the development team, the community, the users, testers, critics, and reviewers. Somehow it all comes together, and though I try other stuff from time to time, even some of my frequently visited distributions are visited less and less because antiX simply meets ALL of my current needs; it’s only my distro geek curiosity that keeps me trying other stuff, but that’s happening less and less, and antiX is used more and more!

--
                  Brian Masinick

antraY59

@Mr.Masinick
                    I hope it is not a MUST to install “xinput”.
                    I have nothing to change with my mouse and keyboard (at least for the near future)
                    When i installed it, i had to plug out/plug in mouse & keyboard after every new start.
                    ( antiX 23.1 full runit; inxi in attchment)

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 3 days ago by antraY59.
                    Attachments:

Forget Windows, use Linux!

Brian Masinick

No, if you have a mouse and keyboard, you do not even have to worry about xinput; that’s for the touchpad in the 23.1 release because the synaptics touchpad support is OLD and is on the way out, but if you have an attached keyboard and mouse, that is not a concern whether you’re using 23.1 or an earlier release.

So just to clarify, our issues about installing xinput were in regard to the touchpad; if you do not have a touchpad OR you do not use the touchpad, it’s not important to concern yourself with xinput to the best of my current knowledge on the subject.

--
                      Brian Masinick

Stéphane Ascoët

P.S. I’ve translated several thousand lines, but I don’t see the point in it anymore. I’m not sure if I’ll have the patience to continue using the OS tomorrow. It works wrong and you know it.

Sadly it seems that free software isn’t made for you. An Apple computer would fit better I think.

PPC

Sadly it seems that free software isn’t made for you.

This is not a problem exclusive to “free software”. Windows broke multiple features, hundredsdozens of times, in the last years… in fact, many more than antiX did.
                          For some reason, there are people that expect that developers of “free software” are slaves, that have nothing better do to than fixing any problem that emerges, instantly. Not even paid developers, with a huge team, can do that.
                          The problem reported by the OP is not exactly “solved”, but it has a “work around”- using the alternative GUI that was created to manage mouse and touchpad. It’s freely available in the forum, and it’s easy to download, uncompress and run, it’s not required to be a terminal user, in order to be able to do that. But the OP, it seems, refused to wait for about a week, until a complete “solution” for the problem was created. There are hundreds of OSes in the world. Probably one will be ideal for @izby… until some feature of it stops working correctly…

P.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by PPC.
                          • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by PPC.
                          antraY59

@izby
                            after installing “xserver-xorg-input-synaptic” again you have also to change the name of
                            “30-touchpad-libinput.conf” to “30-touchpad-libinput.old” (in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d) . Look at this:

https://forum.mxlinux.org/viewtopic.php?t=76417

Then do a restart. Eventually you must also load the modules”joydev, mousedev, psmouse”
                            (Just check your “lsmod” out)

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by antraY59.
                            • This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by antraY59.
                            • This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by antraY59.

Stéphane Ascoët

The first time I installed AntiX 23.1 with a root password and a separate home section, and it didn’t load after reboot. I decided it was a random bug and installed it again. Nothing has changed. Then I tried to use Mint, but in the end I tried to install AntiX again, this time AntiX 23, the same result. I had already installed AntiX before and the only thing I changed was the root password and the home partition at the same time. And I reinstall AntiX 23.1 with no root password. And now I know how this bug works.

Is there a Lug in your area that could help you ? At worst, open a thread about these problems.

I reinstall the OS about 4 or 6 time this two weeks, and now you’re suggesting that I reinstall the same OS again. If I’ll do this, it will not be AntiX. I’ll save it on old laptop I never use, but I will never use it as my main system,

AntiX is a tiny project, still under heavy development. If you want a Linux system working out of the box, some others would fit you better.

antraY59

@Mr.Masinick thanks

Brian Masinick

@Mr.Masinick thanks

You’re welcome 😁

--
                                  Brian Masinick

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 60 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.