System Requirements for antiX and other Debians

Forum Forums General Tips and Tricks System Requirements for antiX and other Debians

• This topic has 24 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated Sep 17-2:53 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    ModdIt

Maybe you might like conky-manager2, it is at times quite useful and tested on debian 10. Not sure on 32
      bit but worth a try.

seems there is no longer a deb packet but pretty good instructions on how to get it running on github page.
      http://github.com/zcot/conky-manager2

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by ModdIt.
      rayluo

The antiX system requirements say at least 256MB RAM for the FULL version with 5GB hard disk space. On my computers this seems to be a reasonable minimum. … My installs are between 3.6GB and 4.9GB of hard disk space. That leaves no room for data. I suggest at least 512MB of RAM and a 6GB hard drive or an 8GB USB.

If hard disk space is a concern, will frugal install on hard disk help? It is said to be saving more hard disk space.

Brian Masinick

It’s fun isn’t it? You’re just missing that old 32-bit hardware! That’s cheating with a Core i5! ????

Seaken64

I have some older boxes too, including an excellent Lenovo Thinkpad laptop, X201 and two older HP models, a 5000 series desktop and an even older laptop _ all 64 bit though.

--
          Brian Masinick

olsztyn

If hard disk space is a concern, will frugal install on hard disk help? It is said to be saving more hard disk space.

Yes, indeed. Frugal install would use significantly less drive space due to fs being compressed into one file, in addition to other unrelated advantages. There is a direct procedure based on Exlinux/syslinux developed by Christophe and posted in another thread to install Frugal without any OS installed on HD.
            Another and simple way of booting such Frugal install would be from antiX Live USB or creating a Grub entry on HD, without Grub bootloader. antiX can boot any install by using Grub menu entry.

Live antiX Boot Options (Previously posted by Xecure):
            http://antixlinuxfan.miraheze.org/wiki/Table_of_antiX_Boot_Parameters

seaken64

The antiX system requirements say at least 256MB RAM for the FULL version with 5GB hard disk space. On my computers this seems to be a reasonable minimum. … My installs are between 3.6GB and 4.9GB of hard disk space. That leaves no room for data. I suggest at least 512MB of RAM and a 6GB hard drive or an 8GB USB.

Yes, if you only have a 2GB hard drive a frugal install should fit. Both antiX and Puppy do this. I like antiX because it is easy to setup with the current grub. Puppy likes to use Grub4DOS.

If you have a surplus center then it should be pretty easy to get a 6GB or 10GB IDE drive. Pentium 4 and Athlon XP usually support booting from USB so a LiveUSB could work. Maybe a little slower than a frugal install to HD.

Seaken64

marcelocripe

You can edit the startup files from the Control Centre/Session/User Desktop-Session/desktop-session.conf

Seaken64,

I could find it in the /home/Usuario/.desktop-session directory in the desktop-session.conf file

Original:
                #Session load conky
                #This will load a specific window manager conky from ~ / .conky
                # There must be a corresponding conkyrc in ~ / .conky in the form of windowmanager-conkyrc
                #Else, we will load conky without the -c parameter
                # Options: true | false
                LOAD_CONKY = ”true”

Changed to:
                #Session load conky #This will load
                a specific conky from the ~ / .conky window manager
                # There must be a corresponding conkyrc in ~ / .conky in the form of windowmanager-conkyrc
                #Else, we will load the conky without the -c parameter
                #Options: true | false
                LOAD_CONKY = ”false”

The list that I sent was related to the tests before I got here at antiX … Now I study antiX.

Thanks for showing me where to make a change.

Thank you very much.

marcelocripe

—————

Seaken64,

Eu conssegui encontrar no diretório /home/Usuario/.desktop-session no arquivo desktop-session.conf

Original:
                #Session load conky
                #This will load a window manager specific conky from ~/.conky
                #There must be a corresponding conkyrc in ~/.conky in the form of windowmanager-conkyrc
                #Else we will load conky without the -c parameter
                LOAD_CONKY=”true”

Alterado para:
                #Session load conky
                #This will load a window manager specific conky from ~/.conky
                #There must be a corresponding conkyrc in ~/.conky in the form of windowmanager-conkyrc
                #Else we will load conky without the -c parameter
                LOAD_CONKY=”false”

A lista que eu enviei foram referentes aos testes antes de chegar aqui no antiX … Agora é estudar o antiX.

Agradeço por me mostrar onde fazer a alteração.

Muito obrigado.

marcelocripe

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by marcelocripe.
                seaken64

The list that I sent was related to the tests before I got here at antiX … Now I study antiX.

Ahh, very good. I did not realize that. Thanks for the clarification.

Seaken64

marcelocripe

Seaken64, how are you?

A colleague challenged me to do an installation test of Raspbery Pi Desktop (2020-02-12-rpd-x86-buster.iso), I challenged him to do an installation test with antiX-19.2_386-full .iso or antiX-19.2_x64-full.iso. I also proposed for him to compare help on the forum https://www.antixforum.com/ and on http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/

I made two posts on the other forum, the first was deleted and modified by a moderator, there were no answers, I asked for basic information about minimum system requirements and other issues that I have already covered here in other posts.

As he does not participate in this forum, we still do not have his impression of antiX.

Here are the data I managed to capture from the tests I did:

Tests performed on the computer Motherboard: Asus P5V800-MX Rev. 1.04G, Intel (R) Celeron (R) D 2.53 GHz Frequency 2533MHz FSB Speed ​​533Mhz Cache L1 16kB Cache L2 256KB Cache L3 0KB, 1GB Ram DDR 400 Mhz, 40GB HD.

pi @ raspberrypi: ~ $ free {Enter}
                    Memory: total: 2031844 KB, used: 157692 KB, free: 1174244 KB, shared: 138292, buff / cache: 699908 avaliable: 1582408
                    Swap: total: 0, used: 0, free: 0

Memory: total: 1010484 KB, used: 153740 KB, free: 135232 KB, shared: 120144, buff / cache: 721512 avaliable: 581556

pi @ raspberrypi: ~ $ free {Enter}

Memory: total: 1010468 KB, used: 146788 KB, free: 672468 KB, shared: 5328, buff / cache: 191212 avaliable: 719676
                    Swap: total: 2081784 KB, used: 0, free: 2081784 KB

pi @ raspberrypi: ~ $ htop {Enter}
                    CPU 1.3% and 3.3%
                    Mem (Memory) 151MB / 987MB
                    Swp: 0K / 0K

pi @ raspberrypi: ~ $ df -h {Enter}
                    System. File Size Used Used Use% Mounted on
                    / dev / sdb1 / 36G 5.4G 29G 16% /
                    Information from the Task Manager, showed 2% CPU usage and memory: 141 MB of 986 MB used.

The Raspbery Pi Desktop takes a long time to start up compared to antiX, as does the installation. The number of programs already installed is much smaller for an ISO of (2020-02-12-rpd-x86-buster.iso) of 2.92 GB, the two ISOs of antiX 19.2 (32 and 64 bits) have about 2.32 GB.

I think he will come to the antiX community after doing some testing.

marcelocripe

Original text in Brazilian Portuguese, translated into English by Google translator.

————–

Seaken64, tudo bem com você?

Um colega me desafiou para eu fazer um teste de instalação do Raspbery Pi Desktop (2020-02-12-rpd-x86-buster.iso), eu o desafiei para que ele fizesse um teste de instalação com o antiX-19.2_386-full.iso ou antiX-19.2_x64-full.iso. Eu propus ainda para ele comparasse a ajuda no fórum https://www.antixforum.com/ e no http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/

Eu fiz duas postagens no outro fórum, a primeira foi apagada e modificada por um moderador, não houveram respostas, eu pedi informações básicas sobre requisitos mínimos de sistema e sobre outros assuntos que eu já abordei aqui em outras postagens.

Como ele não participa deste fórum, ainda, não termos a impressão dele sobre o antiX.

Seguem os dados que eu consegui capturar dos testes que eu fiz:

Testes realizados no computador Placa mãe: Asus P5V800-MX Rev. 1.04G, Intel (R) Celeron (R) D 2,53 GHz Frequência 2533MHz FSB Speed 533Mhz Cache L1 16kB Cache L2 256KB Cache L3 0KB, 1GB Ram DDR 400 Mhz, 40GB de HD.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ free {Enter}
                    Memória: total: 2031844 KB, used: 157692 KB, free: 1174244 KB, shared: 138292, buff/cache: 699908 avaliable: 1582408

Memória: total: 1010484 KB, used: 153740 KB, free: 135232 KB, shared: 120144, buff/cache: 721512 avaliable: 581556

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ free {Enter}

Memória: total: 1010468 KB, used: 146788 KB, free: 672468 KB, shared: 5328, buff/cache: 191212 avaliable: 719676
                    Swap: total: 2081784 KB, used: 0, free: 2081784 KB

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ htop {Enter}
                    CPU 1,3% e 3,3%
                    Mem (Memória) 151MB/987MB
                    Swp (Swap): 0K/0K

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ df -h {Enter}
                    Sist. Arq. Tam. Usado Dispo. Uso % Montado em
                    /dev/sdb1/ 36G 5,4G 29G 16% /
                    Informações do Gerenciador de Tarefas (Task Manager), exibiu Uso de CPU 2% e memória: usados 141 MB de 986 MB.

A inicialização é muito demorada do Raspbery Pi Desktop se comparada ao antiX, bem como a instalação. A quantidade de programas já instalados é bem menor para um a ISO de (2020-02-12-rpd-x86-buster.iso) de 2,92 GB, as duas ISOs do antiX 19.2 (32 e 64 bits) possuem cerca de 2,32 GB.

Eu acho que ele virá para a comunidade antiX após fazer alguns testes.

marcelocripe

Texto original em idioma português do Brasil, traduzido para o inglês por Google tradutor.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by marcelocripe.
                    • This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by marcelocripe.
                    Brian Masinick

I have been using antiX since the initial announcement more than a decade ago.

I wasn’t using it only because of the small size. In the early days I was looking at a lot of live CD systems. antiX was one of the best ones that I used, but it had many other positive traits, including stable software, excellent packages and a great collection of software tools.

Today all of this is true plus the additional features and spins are excellent!

--
                      Brian Masinick

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.