System requirements

Forum Forums General Hardware System requirements

Tagged: 

• This topic has 17 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated Apr 22-5:48 pm by Strawberry.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Strawberry

My computer configuration
      16 RAM
      128 SSD
      AMD A8 8650
      will antix work on this computer?
      second question, what are the system requirements for Antix?
      I’m new in linux

Forum Admin
      rokytnji

Before responding members. I received a warning from wordpress trying to access /home/customer/wpXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Am on the fence watching this member.

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/unoficial-antix-23-frequently-asked-questions/

Edit: I guess this member is OK. Here is the warning I got at the bottom of this thread..

Trying to access array offset on value of type bool in /home/customer/www/antixforum.com/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bbp-style-pack/

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by rokytnji.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
        I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
        Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
        How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

christophe

Download an ISO, use whatever tool you might use to make a bootable USB stick, then test it.

It costs you nothing to try. 🙂

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

Strawberry

Well, I understand. That is, you suggest trying. But the question is more different, are the antix system requirements relevant?

christophe

You wrote “16 RAM”.
              I assumed 16 GB. If so, that’s no problem. Minimum is recommended 512 MB RAM. No upper limit.

Official FAQs (different from unofficial) are accessible from the forum menu.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by christophe.

confirmed antiX frugaler, since 2019

Strawberry

Yes, I have 16 GB of RAM, and I wanted to ask. Will antix work for me?

BobC

The quickest answer is to try it and answer the question yourself 🙂

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

Strawberry

With 16 GB, when I use the browser, it consumes a maximum of 3 GB of RAM. Is this normal?

Robin

16 GB of RAM is more than most other users here have. So, why should it not work for you? E.g. I run antiX 23.1 (runit) on a 32 bit single core Notebook with only 2 GB RAM, and also on a 64 bit desktop PC with 8 GB RAM. So you might imagine, that with your 16 GB you are perfectly fine.

Windows is like a submarine. Open a window and serious problems will start.

Robin

With 16 GB, when I use the browser, it consumes a maximum of 3 GB of RAM. Is this normal?

That depends on what browser you are using and how many browser tabs you keep open the same time. Firefox (esr) spreads and scatters its RAM consumption on multiple processes, so it is a bit difficult to tell how much RAM it actually allocates. But I’d say 3 GiB are fine. Try to open some more websites in new tabs and see what happens with the RAM consumption 🙂

Strawberry

And what are the minimum requirements for Antix, I didn’t find something? In general, you are saying that 16 GB of RAM is enough for Antix?

Forum Admin
                          rokytnji

This helps me out a lot. I know it is for version 19 though. But is still relevant in my opinion. It can be downloaded and saved in my Documents folder for later referencing.

https://www.antixforum.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/FaqAntiXHomeEng.pdf

3 gig of ram running a browser. I don’t even ken/grok/understand that.

$ free
                                           total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
                            Mem:         5864628     1478324     3630300       62660     1057920     4386304
                            Swap:        2097148           0     2097148

without a readout to prove that. Above readout shows a full install running with a browser and terminal open with ft11 controlling icewm with a modern conky also running.

Sometimes I drive a crooked road to get my mind straight.
                            I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute off it.
                            Motorcycle racing is rocket science.

Linux Registered User # 475019
                            How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Robin

And what are the minimum requirements for Antix, I didn’t find something? In general, you are saying that 16 GB of RAM is enough for Antix?

This depends on what you want to do with your PC… Some people are fine with 512 MB of RAM, others can live with 1 GB. Personally I prefer 2 GB upwards for a fluent everyday working horse. I do use the single core 32 bit notebook, 20 years old, with 2 GB RAM, as my daily driver for average tasks as general office work, email programs, even web surfing with firefox-esr. And I can flawlessly watch TV and listen Radio on it, using aCSTV and antiXradio.
                              But, if you want to do some heavy video editing or real time audio processing, or edit huge graphics, do some huge photorealistic rendering from CAD, then you’ll actually need more RAM. The amount of RAM antiX itself needs is way lower than what the programs need you might want to run on it. So this is the criteria to determine the personal reasonable minimum RAM size (in contrast to the absolute minimum to run just antiX). For antiX itself 16 GB is plenty of RAM. As quoted by some others: Absolute minimum is probably 512 MB, reasonable values start at 1 GB, better 2 GB, and everything above this is fine. Generally, on a 64 bit machine you might notice you need a bit more of RAM than on 32 bit machines to do the same things.

BobC

Which version of antiX did you install? What browser are you running? 16 gb will allow you to have hundreds of open browser tabs at one time under antiX, for example.

Why did you say its limited to using 3 gb?

We are happy to help, but realistically, you need to be investigating and experimenting, and helping yourself, not expecting us to go read and experiment for you.

Daily driver distro https://www.antixforum.com

Strawberry

Thank you all

Attachments:
                                Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.