distros and software for older CPUs (athlon K6, Pentium 2)

Forum Forums General Other Distros distros and software for older CPUs (athlon K6, Pentium 2)

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by skidoo Dec 17-12:58 pm.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

Going through my old bookmarks I found this gem

https://412collection.neocities.org/index.html

https://archive.org/details/PuppyLinuxFatpup11-4.12

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux/

For older K based cpu gear. Whaddya got to lose by trying out version 4.12. At least someone is trying to be keeping version 4.12 applications current.

Package updates
    Posted on 07-Aug-2017

Or. I guess a core AntiX install and looking for a older K cpu support kernel via smxi and debian legacy kernels might work also. I am just posting a easy way out is all.

puppy-4.1.2-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso 2008-Dec-07 20:53:38 94.4M application/octet-stream
    puppy-4.1.2-k2.6.25.16-seamonkey.iso.md5.txt 2008-Dec-07 20:12:40 0.1K text/plain
    puppy-4.1.2retro-k2.6.21.7-seamonkey.iso 2008-Dec-07 21:32:34 94.8M application/octet-stream
    puppy-4.1.2retro-k2.6.21.7-seamonkey.iso.md5.txt 2008-Dec-07 20:54:25 0.1K text/plain

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by rokytnji.
    • This topic was modified 1 month ago by skidoo. Reason: clarified title ("without systemd" is sort of a "given" in this context, yes?)

Beer, Bikes, and BBQ. It's what we do
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

Forum Admin
    rokytnji
    rokytnji

PS. You can find isos also in the r/h sidebar under the heading : Operating Systems. At the 4.12 link I provided in my 1st post.

Beer, Bikes, and BBQ. It's what we do
    Linux Registered User # 475019
    How to Search for AntiX solutions to your problems

jdmeaux1952
    jdmeaux1952

We’ve all been there, not enough money to get what you want so you put up with what you got. But some people also save money by NOT spending it Why get a new one when the old one is still functional?

These people are like some of us Ham Radio Operators. We have equipment from before WW2 and we keep it working. Parts are not easily found. Sometimes we have to make our own.

The Kernel has my back covered.
    AMD desktop FX-8320 ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 nVidia GeForce 730 GT 8 Gb memory
    MSI laptop S6000 i5-460M 4 Gb ram

A great mind is something to get terribly wasted.
    LRU# 563815

cyrilus31
    cyrilus31

But some people also save money by NOT spending it Why get a new one when the old one is still functional?

Gee, are you serious? You’re questioning a certain kind of system 😉
    I tend to think that 10 years is my low limit to change equipment.

noordinaryspider

I thought the same until security and freedom issues came to my attention, lol. I trust my older Thinkpads (T20 and T43) much more than my newer, shinier, faster hardware.

Not that I think I am some sort of an expert or anything, of course. There is always plenty to learn. I’m still hoping to dual-boot my “museum pieces” with legacy software from back in the day as well as appropriate, safe, and modern lightweight software.

tfs, rokytnji.

Hi, I'm new here and a Gnu/Linux user since 2004ish who is looking around the systemd-free world hoping to believe that life could still turn out to be something beautiful or at least meaningful.

skidoo
    skidoo

roky, I agree ~~ the “412collection” site is a gem (i still consider many of the softs listed there to be best-of-breed)

Why get a new one when the old one is still functional?

$$$
    €€€
    calculate the KW/h cost (in your area), and consider…

athlon K6 + discrete GPU ———————-} celeron (or atom, or similar CPU) + integrated graphics

To be clear, I’m referring to “new to me” probably sourced from ebay (vs “newest generation, fresh outa the box”) equipment.
    For me (in my area, and per my usage), the tradeoff/payback/breakeven is less than a year.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.