t64 at the end of a package title

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions t64 at the end of a package title

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated Mar 6-10:06 am by anticapitalista.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    stevesr0

Today, I saw many Debian package upgrades had a change in their title. The characters “t64” were added to the end of the package name.

I found out this means that the package as been modified to still work after the year 2038. This is based on the number of (I believe) bits allocated to managing time (dates beyond 2038).

Saw several bug reports involving Debian renamed t64 packages. Not sure that it is a common side effect of the renaming or just chance.

Brian Masinick

A LOT of that work to ensure that dates work properly was done BEFORE
        the Year 2000 stuff; anything that does NOT work, 32-bit or 64-bit,
        is short sighted; the methods for resolving that stuff are at least
        25 years or more, and the information, though archived, is still
        available.

--
        Brian Masinick

Brian Masinick

One thing to note in addition to the 64-bit and Time/Year verification is a reminder that these are Debian packages. Whenever you see one of these, check to see if we have an antiX package; despite the Time/Year verification work that has been performed, keep in mind that many Debian packages frequently have a network of related packages that are full of systemd library references, meaning that IF such a package is installed, it will bring with it library packages from that infrastructure; so use caution before accepting and installing any such package (unless you don’t mind your system getting infused with systemd libraries).

--
          Brian Masinick

stevesr0

Hi Brian,

I also am concerned because this appears to be a MASS change of names (many thousands of packages). Upgrades to t64 versions has caused failures in some of my installed nosystemd packages.

Is it possible that the t64 suffix is enough to make many nosystemd1 packages that depend upon them fail or are most nosystemd packages able to deal with that name change automagically.

Obviously, anticapitalista is the person to advise us.

(Parenthetically, I just saw wildstar84 had a question/issue with t64 also; am going to read his post now.)

• This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by stevesr0.
            • This reply was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by stevesr0.
            Forum Admin
            anticapitalista

Obviously, anticapitalista is the person to advise us.

The advice hasn’t changed – https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/do-not-upgrade-1-march-2024/

From what I can see, all antiX sid .nosystemd and .antix packages will need to be rebuilt once this marathon of updates has finished.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

stevesr0

Hi anticapitalista,

Obviously, this is not a huge problem as long as it is restricted to Sid installs. My naive assumption is that it will be moving “downstream”, first to testing, then current stable in a few weeks to months.

Since my Sid install is a “toy”, I am slowly exploring upgrades to t64 packages, looking at their effects on nosystemd versions and antix packages. Worse case, I break this toy and have to reinstall.

I believe because so many nont64 packages have been eliminated, a fresh live usb or hd install converted to a live Sid install might already have a load of nonfunctional antix related packages, with the “precursor” nont64 versions eliminated from the repository through the automatic replacement mechanism these t64 upgrades commonly force.

Hopefully, my impression that thousands of t64 packages will rapidly spread to stable is incorrect.

Forum Admin
                anticapitalista

Hopefully, my impression that thousands of t64 packages will rapidly spread to stable is incorrect.

Thousands of t64 packages will NOT rapidly spread to stable/bookworm.
                  99% will not move at all during this release cycle.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.