t64 pacakages being upgraded to nont64 named versions?

Forum Forums News Sid Upgraders t64 pacakages being upgraded to nont64 named versions?

• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated Jun 19-3:16 pm by stevesr0.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    stevesr0

In SID:

Several libqt6 packages have both t64 and nont64 versions. Upgrades are occurring to one version or another. This is leading to removal of one type and installation of the other when trying to upgrade either libqt6 packages or poppler related packages.

It also leads to a failure when trying to upgrade qpdfview.

I guess this is a reflection of the difficulty the developers are having in doing all the desired upgrades for these packages.

Just waiting until things stabilize to upgrade any of these.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by caprea. Reason: moved to Sid
      • This topic was modified 1 month ago by caprea.
      Xunzi_23

hi steves, it would be nicer if you post in the sid thread as that is what we run.
        No issues with updates on my sid install, qpdf view is latest for sid.

Several libqt6 packages have both t64 and nont64 versions. Upgrades are occurring to one version or another. This is leading to removal of one type and installation of the other when trying to upgrade either libqt6 packages or poppler related packages.

If I understand the situation correctly The different names will reoccur until the transition is finished, no point in worrying about it. After all we want the fun of playing with sometimes naughty sid :-).

Actually I find it no more difficult than some other major distros I have not enjoyed.

stevesr0

Hi Xunzi_23,

I posted in “General” for two reasons.

1. I see it as raising the general question, “Why are the developers upgrading two versions of the same packages which don’t play nicely with each other?”

2. I think there is a concern that what happens in Sid will also happen later in testing and possibly stable.

Re: qpdfview.

I haven’t updated to the latest version of qpdfview, because it leads to removals in some of the qt6 t64 packages and I didn’t know if this was a good idea. Did the upgrade of qpdfview lead to the replacement of some t64 packages by non t64 versions on your system?

caprea

@stevesr0, you are right about what is happening in sid could happen in stable,too.In the future.But mostly it doesn’t.
            Therefore we have sid and testing, to prevent and foresee it.

But Sid is sid and New Users are new users

New Users and General Questions
            New to Linux? New to antiX? New to fluxbox? Feel free to post questions, queries here.We’re a helpful bunch!

I moved your post from “New Users” to “Sid Upgraders”(not the first time), mainly because it is to be expected that new users get unsettled and frightened while reading and do not know whether there is a need for action or what on their part.
            Please understand.

Xunzi_23

Hi steves, Thank you for moving the post caprea, this is a sid, experienced user level theme and could lead to more
              uninformed or incapable persons claiming upgrades do not work or are dangerous.

I just let apt upgrade qpdfview, dependencys are automatically resolved, I have also autoremoved suggested packages.
              my personal experience is that trying to play sids teacher is pointless and over time will lead to system issues.

Just make a regular backup ISO check it is bootable and let things at debian follow their course.

t64, is a shortname for 64 bit transitional packages, reading the documentation at:
              https://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/64bit-time
              will give you a better understanding of the how and why as well as the huge number of packages involved.

It is unlikely that transitional packages enter stable, if they do and the system still works why worry.

Brian Masinick

While I have NOT been using Sid a lot recently, I have nearly two decades of very regular use of Debian, overwhelmingly the Sid/Unstable variety of Debian. I’ve run it straight from Debian Sid, I’ve run it from a few Sid-oriented distributions, and in the very EARLY days of antiX Core I maintained my own antiX Core custom Sid distribution.

It’s definitely known for volatile packages, but if you follow the simple principle of avoiding changes just before and after major Debian infrastructure or release changes, and to supplement this, watch Debian and/or siduction forums for warnings about unusual problems, when you adhere to these relatively simple practices, it’s possible to keep a single Debian Sid instance, whether antiX Sid, siduction Sid, Debian Sid, or something else and run it for years at a time. When things get truly unstable, just stop updates for a few days to a week, verify when the instability is resolved, then continue; the result is an excellent, leading, even cutting edge collection of software.

The Arch derivative called Endeavour OS is much the same; it’s similar to an Arch “Unstable” and it’s quite good, with the same type of care and caution, it can also be used for a long time.

--
                Brian Masinick

stevesr0

Hi caprea,

As a moderator, I accept that you have the privilege of moving posts to the appropriate subforum.

I will try to remember to post Sid driven stuff on the Sid upgrades subforum.

Your comment,

“New users are new users…”

suggested to me that perhaps the “New User” subforum should be separated from the “General Questions” subforum since the latter obviously can be quite sophisticated and also “frightening” to new users.

Hi Xunzi_23,

I looked at that link in the past. It does not state whether a “t64” designation is a temporary name, to be succeeded by a reversion to a non-t64 name. The forced removal of some packages is to me as a permanent noobie, something to be avoided.
                  Perhaps you are correct, that it is harmless to just upgrade as long as the install continues to work (and systemd is not introduced).

As this Sid install is a toy system for me, I have no problem waiting until I feel comfortable with upgrading.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by stevesr0.
                  • This reply was modified 1 month ago by stevesr0.
                Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.