Talk with an AI via the Terminal, no browser, no registration needed

Forum Forums General Software Talk with an AI via the Terminal, no browser, no registration needed

• This topic has 51 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated Dec 2-6:31 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    PPC

It’s been about year since chatgpt has been on the news, as the next step in AI, yet today it was the first day I talked with this kind of chat bot.
      It’s all done via the terminal. Details on how to install and use this tool are over at https://www.linuxlinks.com/machine-learning-linux-terminal-gpt/

Basically install the tool with this Terminal command (it runs even on 32bits computers), entering the password, if asked to:

curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/aandrew-me/tgpt/main/install | bash -s /usr/local/bin

Ask questions using the tgpt command
      ex:

tgpt "what is antiX Linux?"

EDIT: I got a pretty good answer:

antiX Linux is a lightweight and relatively minimalistic Linux distribution
       designed to be fast, efficient, and suitable for older or resource-constrained
       hardware. It is based on Debian, one of the most popular and stable Linux
       distributions. antiX focuses on providing a fully functional and customizable
       system that runs well on both older and modern computers, without requiring
       high-end hardware specifications.
      Key features of antiX Linux include:
      1. Lightweight: antiX is designed to be extremely lightweight and runs well on
       older hardware with limited resources. It uses a minimal amount of system
       resources, making it suitable for computers with lower RAM and processing power
      2. Speed and Performance: The distribution is optimized for speed and
       performance, allowing it to run smoothly even on older machines. This is
       achieved through careful selection of software components and configuration
       settings.
      3. Customization: antiX is highly customizable, and users can tailor the system
       to their preferences by choosing from various window managers, desktop
       environments, and software applications. This flexibility allows users to
       create a system that meets their specific needs.
      4. Live System: antiX can be used as a live system, meaning you can run it
       directly from a bootable USB drive or DVD without installing it on your
       computer. This is useful for testing or as a portable, temporary system.
      5. Package Management: antiX uses Debian's package management system, which
       provides access to a vast repository of software packages, allowing users to
       install a wide range of applications and tools.
      6. AntiX Control Center: The distribution includes its own control center, which
       makes it easy to configure various aspects of the system, including hardware,
       network settings, and system preferences.
      7. Security: antiX focuses on providing a secure environment and supports
       various encryption and privacy features.
      8. Community-Driven: antiX is a community-driven project, and it benefits from
       the input and contributions of its users and developers.
      Overall, antiX Linux is a good choice for users who want a Linux distribution
       that performs well on older hardware or for those who prefer a minimalistic and
       highly customizable system. It offers the stability of Debian while providing a
       lightweight and efficient computing experience.

P.

• This topic was modified 1 month ago by PPC.
      • This topic was modified 1 month ago by PPC.
      PPC
        Helpful
        Up
        ::

The AI even generated a bash script to serve as a GUI to interact with it. It required a few touches to work, still not perfect, but functional, the AI even wrote the comments!…

#!/bin/bash
        # Function to interact with the GPT model
        function interact_with_gpt() {
            input_text=$(yad --title "Chat with TGPT" --text "Enter your message:" --center --entry --width=400 --height=100 --button="OK":0 --button=" x ":exit)

if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
                # Send the input to TGPT and receive a response
                response=$(echo "$input_text" | tgpt -w)
                # Display the response in a dialog box
                yad --title "TGPT Response" --center --text "$response" --width=600 --height=800 --button="OK":exit
            fi
        }
            interact_with_gpt
        calciumsodium
          Helpful
          Up

Thanks @PPC for sharing.

I asked the AI a question:

$ t “what is lean and mean antiX”
          what is lean and mean antiX

As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, “antiX” is a lightweight Linux distribution based on Debian. It is
          designed to be fast, efficient, and suitable for both older and newer hardware. It comes with the IceWM window manager
          by default, but it also supports other desktop environments like Fluxbox and JWM.

“Lean and mean” is a phrase used to describe something that is minimalistic, efficient, and focused on doing a specific
          task with minimal resources. In the context of antiX, “lean and mean” likely refers to the distribution’s commitment to
          being lightweight and efficient, making it a good choice for older or less powerful computers.

Please note that the software landscape is constantly evolving, and there may have been updates or changes to antiX or
          its features after my last training data in January 2022. If there have been significant developments since then, I
          would not be aware of them.

anti-apXos
            Helpful
            Up

This is a lot less interesting than Dr. Sbaitso and I was using that AI from a DOS prompt 30 years ago. Sad to see that AI is just getting worse over time.

PPC
              Helpful
              Up

Sad to see that AI is just getting worse over time.

Well, I think that not many people agree with that. This AI in particular is not really a chatbot, something to talk to, more simply a complex program to answer questions. Since it has a very large training data set, you can ask it stuff like:

“Tell me all about the book 3001”

And it will give a pretty small talk about the subject, even if it is not a very well know work… One should always check information using search engines, but it’s a pretty good resource, most of the time- like I shown above, it can even help with coding… if you are lucky with the answer and can tweak the code it provides.

P.

Forum Admin
              anticapitalista
                Helpful
                Up

I posted the exact same question and got a different answer.

tgpt "what is antiX Linux?"
                what is antiX Linux?
                AntiX Linux is a lightweight, Debian-based Linux distribution designed to be fast, efficient, and suitable for older hardware or computers with limited
                 system resources. It is known for its minimalistic approach and is built with the primary goal of providing a functional and user-friendly environment
                 on low-end and aging hardware.
                Key features of antiX Linux include:
                1. Lightweight: AntiX is known for its minimal system requirements and low resource usage, making it an excellent choice for older computers, netbooks,
                 and other devices with limited processing power and memory.
                2. Choice of Desktop Environments: AntiX offers multiple desktop environment options, including IceWM, Fluxbox, JWM (Joe's Window Manager), and others.
                 This flexibility allows users to choose the environment that best suits their preferences and hardware.
                3. Live System: AntiX can be run as a live CD/DVD or from a USB drive, allowing users to try out the distribution without installing it on their
                 computer. This can be useful for troubleshooting or as a portable operating system.
                4. System Customization: AntiX provides users with a high degree of control over their system, making it easy to customize and tailor the distribution
                 to their specific needs.
                5. Package Management: It uses the Debian package management system, allowing users to access a vast repository of software packages for easy
                 installation and updates.
                6. AntiX Magic: AntiX includes a set of scripts and tools called "antiX Magic" that assist users in performing various tasks such as system
                 customization, hardware detection, and package management.
                7. Security: While antiX is lightweight and suitable for older hardware, it also focuses on security and stability, ensuring that users have a safe and
                 reliable computing environment.
                AntiX is a versatile distribution that can be used for a wide range of purposes, from running on older PCs to serving as a rescue disk for system
                 recovery. It is particularly well-suited for users who prefer a no-frills, efficient Linux distribution that can breathe new life into aging hardware.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

Karo
                  Helpful
                  Up

Nowhere does he mention one of the most important features of antiX. He is caught, he is a fan of systemd.

Original german text:
                  Eine der wichtigsten Eigenschaften von antiX erwähnt er nirgends. Er ist ertappt, er ist systemd Fan.

Since english is not my native language and my knowledge is too poor to represent complex things I use a translator.
                  These are known not to be perfect. If you translate one of my posts from german to english into other languages, the result will be worse and worse. Therefore, I post in both english and german, so that non english speaking users can have the german text translated directly into their language.

techore
                    Helpful
                    Up

The AI even generated a bash script to serve as a GUI to interact with it. It required a few touches to work, still not perfect, but functional, the AI even wrote the comments!…

This may be known to the audience and I am not poo-pooing the original post or AI, but the AI probably didn’t write the bash script. It borrowed or stole it depending on your view point. A developer that I have worked with on projects posted a snippet of code from ChatGPT. On closer inspection, he realized it was his own code. He posted the original code and the one provided by ChatGPT as example. ChatGPT did not attribute nor provide the license for the code. He wasn’t mad. He thought it was funny.

This was about six months ago, so things may have improved.

andfree
                      Helpful
                      Up
                      $ curl -sSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/aandrew-me/tgpt/main/install | bash -s /usr/local/bin
                      Download location: /usr/local/bin
                      Operating System: linux
                      Processor Architecture: i386
                      Downloading...
                      ######################################################################## 100.0%
                      Installed Successfully 
                      Run tgpt -h for help
                      $ tgpt "Do you speak greek?"
                      Some error has occurred. Statuscode: 524
                      $ tgpt "what is antiX Linux?"
                      Some error has occurred. Statuscode: 524
                      PPC
                        Helpful
                        Up

@andfree – yes, I think the overflow of antiX users (just kidding, most probably, folks that read the original article I linked to) crashed the way the program used to access the AI, at least for now – that’s why it’s never a good thing to depend on on-line services (i.e.- run web-mail, run web office suites, have all your files just on a cloud service, etc)- the thing with on-line services is that they crash/are put off-line/are closed down…
                        I hope this starts working again, it was my first experience with this kind of AI and I liked it… but its not anything life changing, like some people tend to think.
                        If you want a good summarizer of web search results, brave search engine is quite good, for most searches, but it runs inside the browser that supports it- https://search.brave.com/

P.

calciumsodium
                          Helpful
                          Up

scary what it can come up with:

$ t "write an essay for college entrance"
                          write an essay for college entrance
                          Title: The Power of Perseverance: My Journey to CollegeIntroduction:
                          Growing up in a small town, I have always dreamt of attending college to pursue my passions and broaden my horizons. As a first-generation student, I am well aware of the challenges that lie ahead. However, I firmly believe that perseverance is the key to overcoming obstacles and achieving success. This essay aims to highlight my journey, emphasizing the determination and resilience that have propelled me towards my college entrance.
                          Body:1. Academic Challenges:
                          Throughout my academic journey, I have faced numerous challenges that have tested my perseverance. As a student in a resource-limited school, I often had to go the extra mile to access educational opportunities. The lack of sufficient textbooks and outdated teaching methods never deterred me from seeking knowledge. Instead, I took the initiative to utilize online resources, join study groups, and seek guidance from teachers. Despite the odds, I managed to maintain a stellar academic record, consistently pushing myself to achieve excellence.
                          2. Personal Struggles:
                          Beyond academic challenges, I have also encountered personal struggles that have shaped my determination to pursue higher education. Growing up in a low-income family, financial limitations posed a significant hurdle. However, rather than succumbing to despair, I took on part-time jobs and sought scholarships to alleviate the financial burden. Witnessing my parents' sacrifices and their unwavering support further fueled my determination to succeed. I learned the importance of perseverance and the value of hard work in achieving my goals.
                          3. Extracurricular Engagement:
                          Recognizing that college admissions look beyond academic achievements, I actively engaged in extracurricular activities to demonstrate my holistic development. Despite time constraints, I participated in various clubs, volunteered in community service initiatives, and played sports. These activities not only allowed me to pursue my passions but also taught me valuable lessons in leadership, teamwork, and time management. By juggling multiple responsibilities, I honed my ability to persevere and excel in all aspects of my life.
                          4. Overcoming Adversity:
                          One of the defining moments of my journey occurred during my junior year when I faced a significant setback. I fell ill and was hospitalized for an extended period, causing me to miss crucial academic milestones. Despite this setback, I refused to let it define me. I engaged in rigorous self-study, sought assistance from teachers, and worked tirelessly to catch up on missed coursework. This experience taught me the importance of resilience, adaptability, and the power of a positive mindset. It reinforced my belief that setbacks do not define success; it is the ability to overcome them that truly matters.
                          Conclusion:
                          My journey to college entrance has been a testament to the power of perseverance. From academic challenges to personal struggles, I have consistently demonstrated resilience, determination, and the ability to rise above adversity. I firmly believe that these qualities, coupled with my passion for learning, will enable me to thrive in college and beyond. As I embark on the next chapter of my life, I am confident that my unwavering commitment to persevere will continue to propel me towards success.

PPC
                            Helpful
                            Up

If you want to be both amazed and scared (I like to write fiction): when I noticed the AI was back on-line, I asked it to write a novel about AI- it came up with a pretty good summary of a novel, something I would not mind writing myself…

We truly live in scary times, folks… In 10 years or so, this AIs will be rulling most of our lives (not in a sci-fi like world, but they will be used on medicine, weather forecast, social management, economic management, etc)

Do you want to be really scared? Imagine, in some years, an IA 10 times more powerful than this, that devoured every data available to date. Imagine a dictator, that invades a neighboring country asking it: “Outline a plan to, with all available resources my army has, to destroy our enemies, as fast as possible”. Yeah. Scary. We can be heading that way…
                            … I hope not. I have a small daughter and young nieces and nephews.

P.

blur13
                              Helpful
                              Up

“I actively engaged in extracurricular activities to demonstrate my holistic development”

If college entrance essays are an exercise in stacking superlatives this effort gets an A+

Forum Admin
                              anticapitalista
                                Helpful
                                Up

“I actively engaged in extracurricular activities to demonstrate my holistic development”

If college entrance essays are an exercise in stacking superlatives this effort gets an A+

Indeed.
                                There is absolutely no content in that quoted statement.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

PPC
                                  Helpful
                                  Up

Yes, for now, the stuff that the AI spits out is a bit hit or miss – it may be brilliant or complete crap. Just for kicks, I asked it to write the outline of a sequel of 3001, by Arthur C. Clarke. It came up with something that just plagiarized the start of 2001, dropped the names of a few main characters that are never mentioned again and then apparently turns the story into some kind of Stark Trek, faster than light, Space Oddity/Odyssey. It doesn’t even come close to the kind of writing the original author produced- basically it picked up a date, the fact that a new monolith is found, and presto, we have an Enterprise like ship, traveling the cosmos, finding “strange new life forms”. Well… I’ve read and watched crappier sequels, written by humans, I guess…
                                  I used a lot AI services that create images, about 1/3 of them are ok, 1/3 are bad, 1/3 are impossibilities, like people with 3 harms, or stretching into impossible positions, or with impossible proportions, or just random parts of bodies that clearly were randomly created. Of the 1/3 good part, a lot less than half are really brilliant, professional level stuff, that I would have to pay a professional to draw… If you spend a couple of hours with this kind of AI, you will eventually find gold, but you notice that it’s very far from a human that know what’s it’s doing- a super version of a room full of monkeys pressing keys, until they produce Shakespeare level art… eventually.
                                  Conversational AI like this one is much better, but itś created to pile one word after another- strangely learning along the way to make some sense of what it’s writing- like I said, there’s a lot crappier stuff, produced by beings with opposable thumbs…

P.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 52 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.