Talk with an AI via the Terminal, no browser, no registration needed

Forum Forums General Software Talk with an AI via the Terminal, no browser, no registration needed

• This topic has 55 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated Feb 27-5:37 am by andfree.
Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    PPC

I just tested it (using the “Finder” app as GUI, to find the answer to a question). It works perfectly. Unfortunately this “web service” is prone to having some down time or casual error, now and then.

P.

ile

ELIZA 1966 MIT; 200 lines of code.

Note that tgpt -img will create a directory Name that has spaces in the name.

PPC

@ile – I used Elisa versions on ZX-Spectrum computers (that loaded software from audio-tapes, remember those?), I used newer versions on the first Windows versions that I had, on the 90’s, and even used it on an on-line chatbot many years ago. Current GTP based “AI” is so far away from them as lighting a fire rubbing two sticks is to an atomic blast…
          That is partly why “AI” is getting so scary, seemingly it’s getting very close to real general intelligence, not just using simple rules to reply to what the user inputed.
          It can do what until now seemed that only humans could do: write fiction- you can’t ask Elisa; “Tell me a story involving animals in a forest” and get a 10.000 words short story as a reply… It can “analise” and describe a movie, or a novel, etc. It has a gigantic database- in the AI tgpt uses case, it’s basically most web pages that existed, on January, 2022.

P.

Brian Masinick

AGE ALERT: I first heard about Eliza in a computer class sometime between 1976-1979.

DIGRESSION ALERT:
            I first actually ran across Eliza when using GNU Emacs but I doubt that I found it the first time I used GNU Emacs.

Also the first time I used an Emacs editor it was probably a decade before I used GNU Emacs. It was a Gosling Emacs on a very interesting MULTICS operating system. While it was powerful I had too many other things to learn and I didn’t master any of them at first but later I started using various free software on VAX/VMS and Vaxstation systems. I ran VMS and UNIX and I started building tools for making the user interface similar on both systems.

At first I used a word processor as my common keyboard models and over time I became more nimble with both the keyboard definitions and the actual commands and it helped me learn many of them. I also got much better with vi key bindings.

One other digression – Emacs was among the first to offer key bindings similar to other editors and tools but when Vim was created an interface script language was added to Vim, which returned the favor by offering Emacs like key bindings!

Finally in my editing exploits I discovered that Geany, despite the rich capabilities, manages to provide one of the smaller editor image sizes despite the IDE (Integrated Development Environment) features, quite an accomplishment!

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by Brian Masinick.

--
            Brian Masinick

andfree

I just tested it (using the “Finder” app as GUI, to find the answer to a question). It works perfectly.

Thank you. I hope that at some point I’ll have the time to test your script (I can’t read 11 pages of posts right now. Or I should try install finder-v1-final.zip directly?), but I’m afraid that it won’t help in this case. The problem remains, regardless whether I use ROXTerm or urxvt. I also tried from another laptop with the same wifi connection and tgpt works fine. So, it’s not a wifi connection issue.

PPC

Or I should try install finder-v1-final.zip directly?)

Install the final version, that’s on one of the latest posts of that thread, if you want to use the script. It’s the version that will be included in antiX 23.1, but the “GPT” feature is just an interface to find answers to questions using tgpt – if that on-line service is off-line, it won’t work. It’s often off-line, there’s nothing we can do about it. Enjoy using it, while it lasts… I can foresee that the “powers that be” won’t let it work for much longer. AI’s were created to generate money and harvest more data to train future versions of the software. Using it anonymously is just a way to get people hooked into it and they either use monetized services (like search engines) that use those kind of AI’s or pay directly to use them. Also, enjoy using them, BEFORE they turn self aware and start mass producing Terminators to wipe us all… 🙂

P.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by PPC.
                Brian Masinick

@PPC your suspicion about offering the GPT – tgpt service is unlikely to remain “free”, and your other suspicion – and I’ll be more specific – I’m guessing that the tool snoops and grabs as much data about the connection as it possibly can and is using it to build up their AI plans and implementations, so anyone who detests companies that grab information would be wise to look into this component before using it.

Otherwise, the other components of the tool are really nice, and all of them, including the GPT – tgpt interface work (when they are available.

The other tools in finder are very convenient and efficient. Nice work on finder.

--
                  Brian Masinick

andfree

I hope that at some point I’ll have the time to test your script … but I’m afraid that it won’t help in this case. The problem remains, regardless whether I use ROXTerm or urxvt.

I’m impressed. The problem doesn’t affect Finder. I can’t explain it.

Via a terminal:

$ tgpt “Does this question help you to become better?”
                    “Does     
                    It seems like your message got cut off. Could you please provide more details or clarify your question? I'm here
                     to help!

Note that all the questions I ask via a terminal get cut off after the first word. But, when I ask the same questions via Finder, I get full answers:

Yes, your questions and interactions contribute to the ongoing training and improvement of the underlying language model. Each conversation helps the model understand context, generate more accurate responses, and learn from diverse inputs. Continuous user engagement is an essential part of refining and enhancing the capabilities of the model. If you have specific feedback or suggestions, feel free to share them, as they can be valuable for the ongoing development process.

@PPC many thanks for this nice tool.

• This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by andfree.
                    • This reply was modified 5 months, 3 weeks ago by andfree.
                    PPC

Sometimes I do use tgp, mainly using “finder” as a GUI. If I get repeated errors when trying to access tgpt, I have to update it:

sudo tgpt -u

Also, recently, I’ve encountered the first “hallucinations” of this AI. When asked about a particularly heavy movie, it either completely invents information that has nothing to do with that movie, or supplies party true information (ex: that it came out in 2019) and then a completely different narrative! Funny.

P.

Brian Masinick

Sometimes I do use tgp, mainly using “finder” as a GUI. If I get repeated errors when trying to access tgpt, I have to update it:

sudo tgpt -u

Also, recently, I’ve encountered the first “hallucinations” of this AI. When asked about a particularly heavy movie, it either completely invents information that has nothing to do with that movie, or supplies party true information (ex: that it came out in 2019) and then a completely different narrative! Funny.

P.

Just goes to show that just because something is written does not necessarily make it accurate.
                        If I see something that seems “odd” to me, I check three or four other sources and compare them;
                        I also try to find known reputable sites whenever possible; they’re not perfect either, but when
                        they have inaccurate information, they almost always correct it and note the erroneous information
                        carefully; those kinds of places are the ones I tend to trust most.

--
                        Brian Masinick

andfree

If I get repeated errors when trying to access tgpt, I have to update it:

sudo tgpt -u

It’s a long time I got repeated errors (521, 522, 524 etc) when trying to access tgpt. Updating fixed it. Thank you.

Viewing 11 posts - 46 through 56 (of 56 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.