Taskbar: 3 Processes, i have not configured

Forum Forums New users New Users and General Questions Taskbar: 3 Processes, i have not configured

• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated Sep 25-4:09 pm by Brian Masinick.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    gusi

Hi,
    in my taskbar are 3 Process-icons (in all Desktops)
    i have not configured in my ~/.desktop-session/startup file

1. Memory Total
    2. CPU Load
    3. Clock

by Click on “cpu load” the taskmanager lxtask does pop up

in what for a Config-file is this written ?
    The 3 Taskbar-icons was from Start on present

Sry for my bad english

Forum Admin
    Dave
    Helpful
    Up

They are set in ~/.icewm/preferences if I recall correctly.
    From the control centre you should see icewm settings, clicking on it would open the geany text editor and one of the tabs (files) opened should be the preferences file. Alternatively feel free to edit it with whatever text editor you please.

Computers are like air conditioners. They work fine until you start opening Windows. ~Author Unknown

gusi
    Helpful
    Up

YES
    Many Thanks

1=TaskBarShowMEMStatus=1

2=TaskBarShowCPUStatus=1

3=TaskBarShowClock=1
    ———————–
    a Remark -sign # TaskBarShowCPUStatus –> does not work
    i think there is also a global preference file in /usr/share,
    if a valaue ist not set in the User-file

so i have set TaskBarShowCPUStatus=0 , then was good

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by gusi.
    BobC
    Helpful
    Up

gusi, see this post, those are the IceWM system monitors. I have identified in the picture which ones to turn off if you don’t want them to run. They are configured to use very little system resources as long as you don’t click them. If you have them on, you might not need the conky running (which would save both CPU and MEMORY).

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/hi-everyone-how-to-permanently-disable-conky/#post-67139

Yes, as Dave said, they can be edited (=0 instead of =1 to turn off) in ~/.icewm/preferences or ~/.icewm/prefoverride

Commenting them out by putting a # in front will cause them to change to whatever default value they have. It doesn’t necessarily turn them off or on.

gusi
    Helpful
    Up

hi, the clock , i need
    the other 2 processses are not needed , because conky does the job
    the 2 unneded processes was 15 MB RAM !!

But the whole thing is a bad tactic , for become new users in a live-cd

The Target from Antix should be:
    no Ram more, then needed, new Users should be shocked to see
    how many more RAM need xfce , xlde , xlqt
    compare to anti-x , with the SAME prozesses loaded

i have installed with space-icewm on vmware
    space-icewm has a REAL-Desktop compare to xfce , xlqt xlde (old , new=xlqt)
    and a good File-Manager (spaceFM)
    with the same Default-processes , notifier,and the other standards
    i have here 150 mb on start , compare xfce 420 , kxqt 410.

THIS is the first , what new Users does check , the Ram-usage !!
    so Antix should remove all processes , compare to the live-cds xfce ….
    for the chonky make a link an desktop in lve-cd, do not load at start
    without chonky = 145 mb

And it is also no good idea in Live-cd , start with rox-Desktop and this horrible rox-filer
    the rox-desktop is not the real-desktop ~/Desktop !! its a pseudo-desktop

in space- ICEWM it is !!! and the Filemanager spacefm is more familar for them.

Xecure
    Helpful
    Up

If you want the least amount of memory, then no Graphical interface is the best option.

It is not about reducing memory to the max, but having a good environment that is also memory friendly. Being to aggressive in the memory frugality aspect takes away user friendliness.

Also, related to ROX vs SpaceFM, there is no “real desktop” experience. Some prefer a different and more efficient workflow to the general concept of Desktop Environment, so ROX is the most desirable File Manager for them. Some don’t use desktop icons at all, so the prefer the pure icewm desktop session instead of a rox-icewm or space-icewm.

There are different options available in antiX for different workflows. It isn’t as other Linux distros, where they force only one workflow on the user, but antiX is all about choices, different Window Managers, FIle Managers, GUI and CLI apps for the same purpose, etc. All so you can make your own workflow.

antiX Live system enthusiast.
    General Live Boot Parameters for antiX.

gusi
    Helpful
    Up

hi
    i can’t come to my wife and the half of the people,
    i do support with an pure “Menu-Desktop”
    They want create Icons and folders on the Desktop !!!

i make this “job” since 9 Years for them.
    thats is also, why they want no Gnome !!!
    KDE 3 , kde-plasma , and since 3 Years xfce
    xlde has 0 comfort , they want not

Forum Admin
    anticapitalista
    Helpful
    Up

Perhaps you should use MX Linux or another Xfce distro.

Philosophers have interpreted the world in many ways; the point is to change it.

antiX with runit - leaner and meaner.

skidoo
    Helpful
    Up

Extremely annoying. ‘:D

Well, the ask is at least “somewhat annoying”, considering that the exact question was posted, and answered, less than 2 weeks ago (Sept 8)

https://www.antixforum.com/forums/topic/hi-everyone-how-to-permanently-disable-conky/#post-67010

The CPU monitor and RAM monitor widgets, via the IceWM desktop menu you can toggle them enabled//disabled.

PPC
    Helpful
    Up

hi
    i can’t come to my wife and the half of the people,
    i do support with an pure “Menu-Desktop”

i make this “job” since 9 Years for them.
    thats is also, why they want no Gnome !!!
    KDE 3 , kde-plasma , and since 3 Years xfce
    xlde has 0 comfort , they want not

On another thread, you where shown how to have a more “usable” antiX desktop for you and the users you support:
    1- menu > desktop > other desktops > space-icewm [Note that, in antiX 21, spacefm will be replaced with zzzfm- it looks the same but it uses very little RAM). This makes the default file manager spacefm, also uses spacefm to manage desktop icons…
    2- Launch Spacefm > View > Preferences > “Desktop” tab > unslect the option “right click shows WM menu” (it’s the second to last option) > click OK – now you can right click the desktop and create files, folders, etc, like in the most used Linux Desktop Environments…
    3- You can choose: either run Conky to monitor system resources, or have that same information available direcly on the taskbar- If you prefer to use Conky, disable the toolbar applets that show RAM, CPU, Network usage…
    4- If even so, you don’t like antiX, try MX-Linux XFCE edition- it is based in antiX, but with a more elaborate Interface (but in my opinion, using the above tips makes antiX as usable as MX, and in about half the RAM MX uses)

P.

ModdIt
    Helpful
    Up

Maybe you can explain that icons and folders on the desktop are way less eficient than multiple desktops and task bar icons.

I have no users who want to go back to a wondoze like environment. It is really crazy to have to move or close windows to reach desktop items.
    My setup with much help from BobC

Pull mouse arrow to bottom of screen, select application, item or desktop with autostarted application in autohiding taskbar, get on with work.

I login land on desktop one in icewm, claws opens and downloads my mail, palemoon is on desktop 2 ready to use and so on.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks ago by ModdIt.
    Brian Masinick
    Helpful
    Up

Maybe you can explain that icons and folders on the desktop are way less eficient than multiple desktops and task bar icons.

I have no users who want to go back to a wondoze like environment. It is really crazy to have to move or close windows to reach desktop items.
    My setup with much help from BobC

Pull mouse arrow to bottom of screen, select application, item or desktop with autostarted application in autohiding taskbar, get on with work.

I login land on desktop one in icewm, claws opens and downloads my mail, palemoon is on desktop 2 ready to use and so on.

I’m a HUGE fan of using the taskbar to put the applications that I use most often easily available to me.
    Regardless of the window manager or desktop manager, if I am using an environment that I will be using repeatedly, I use a taskbar most often in a GUI environment. I also use a lot of specific alias commands, with one, two, or three letter “shortcuts”. That way, whether I am using the graphical or command environments, I can access what I use with a very small number of key presses, keystrokes, or clicks on a button. I vary which ones I use, too, and this reduces repetitive key syndrome, another “positive” to a “varied approach with different keys, buttons, and selection mechanisms.

Brian Masinick

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.