TechRadar:Best lightweight Linux distro of 2023. antiX is 2nd in ranking

Forum Forums News News TechRadar:Best lightweight Linux distro of 2023. antiX is 2nd in ranking

• This topic has 7 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated May 25-10:38 pm by andyprough.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    frtorres

For me antiX us number one!. Well deseverd, @anticapitalista and antiX team.

Best lightweight Linux distro of 2023.

“antiX is one of the best options that’ll be content on a computer with very little resources. The full edition of antiX, which uses IceWM together with the Rox file manager, is one of the lightest distros around and yet ships with lots of apps, including both mainstream and lightweight ones, for virtually every desktop task.”

See complete article: TechRadar.com

PPC

It’s a nice read. According to TechRadar antiX is, in fact the best lightweight Linux distro with live boot capabilities.
        But I disagree- I think antix is the best lightweight distro and among the best Operating systems available (not just linux distros).
        The only downside they pointed out is the default look? They are partly right. antiX 23 looks much better – a great default wallpaper, a better looking default file manager. Perhaps a more modern theme can be chosen as default? I’m partial to FX-dark (since I created it – or rather adapted other ideas-to look modern and “make sense” – the focused toolbar entry is blue, the focused menu entry is blue, the focused window button is blue- except the “close button” that shines in red, and unfocused windows have extremely dark titles and window buttons. The Menu button was adapted from a previous existing default picture and the “exit” menu entry is familiar to anyone in the world that ever saw anything with a power switch. There FX-light too, but I don’t like it so much).

The real antiX problem that may affect some users is lack of sound in some apps- ex: you install firefox and it does not play any sound, out of the box. Bluetooth support is hard (I last tried it over a year ago, not sure how it’s currently). Also, non English speaking users do have to launch an app to completely localize their systems (it would be perfect if that popped up automatically at first run after the install). That’s probably 99,9% of all antiX’s downsides…

P.

punranger

It is nice that antiX gets a little attention on a mainstream tech site. However, I have come to not trust any of these rankings. Tech Radar is a commercial site focusing on consumer technology. That means there’s an inherent bias to the reporting. It’s impossible to tell how much of the content is really sponsored. In the case of Linux distros, the content is probably not sponsored. So the way the make money off of an article like that is selling ads. That does not mean that the article is complete useless. But I note that the methodology to rank the distros is not clearly stated. Sure, the writer has taken the time to actually boot into the distros and install them, although I suspect that the testing has been performed in a virtual machine. There is no proper benchmarking of performance, so the term “lightweight” remains undefined. Some of the criteria are highly subjective. Typically, this revolves around the look of the desktop. I do not really care if someone thinks the desktop looks dated (highly subjective), I care that it can run on dated hardware (highly objective).

As a Linux novice, I read a lot of articles on these “FOSS” websites, and although the info was (sometimes) useful, it was also often highly biased and subjective. A lot of the so-called “lightweight” distros I tried were only lightweight compared to a standard install of Ubuntu, but still sluggish as hell on my old laptops. I wish there existed some kind of objective benchmarking service for Linux distros that clearly stated the criteria and scoring for each distro. The Distrowatch category for “old computers” I found to be pretty useless, for example.

I spent quite a lot of time checking out distros and learnt a lot by doing so. But I would have wished that the advantages of antiX had been better known, so I could have found it sooner.

One thing not mentioned in the article as far as I could tell, was the support offered for each distro. I don’t know about the other ones, but I am still impressed as hell by the volunteers running this joint. The support is better and faster than a lot of commercial services I have used.

antiX linux: The best way to revive an old computer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCTaUAP6sSg

stevix

100% agree Punranger. I’ve read a few articles about so called lightweight Linux distros, and some of the distros mentioned are anything but. I see in the review of Linux Lite it says “Reasons to avoid – Fairly heavy on system resources”. So if it’s heavy on resources, how can it be called lightweight? Isn’t that a blatant contradiction?

I also note there are an awful lot of references to what a distro looks like. To the best of my knowledge if you don’t like the appearance you can usually change it, so what’s the problem? I would regard such things as connecting to internet without issues and being able to install my preferred software as far more important than what the damn thing looks like.

So what if something looks dated? Hardly the end of the world is it? I believe there are a surprising number of people that still use Windows XP. Why? Because they like it I assume, and like what is no doubt regarded as a dated appearance now days.

One other thing, it says Lubuntu is still available as 32 bit. I thought any 32 bit Ubuntu based distros reached end of support last month, or have I got my dates confused?

Brian Masinick

100% agree Punranger. I’ve read a few articles about so called lightweight Linux distros, and some of the distros mentioned are anything but. I see in the review of Linux Lite it says “Reasons to avoid – Fairly heavy on system resources”. So if it’s heavy on resources, how can it be called lightweight? Isn’t that a blatant contradiction?

I also note there are an awful lot of references to what a distro looks like. To the best of my knowledge if you don’t like the appearance you can usually change it, so what’s the problem? I would regard such things as connecting to internet without issues and being able to install my preferred software as far more important than what the damn thing looks like.

So what if something looks dated? Hardly the end of the world is it? I believe there are a surprising number of people that still use Windows XP. Why? Because they like it I assume, and like what is no doubt regarded as a dated appearance now days.

One other thing, it says Lubuntu is still available as 32 bit. I thought any 32 bit Ubuntu based distros reached end of support last month, or have I got my dates confused?

I agree with you and I think that you are all correct. While it’s nice to be included in the list, none of the reviews were very accurate or complete about anything for any distributions and they only caught a couple of the numerous features we have available.

--
              Brian Masinick

marcelocripe

Hello Frtorres, I completely agree with you!

The antiX for me is number one and it’s the best. Therefore, I don’t care when other people say otherwise.

This May marks 3 years since I’m happy to have tested and found antiX.

And the next day June 10, 2023 complete 3 years I’m very happy to be part of the antiX community.

In the superficially presented list by Mayank Sharma, I tested respectively: Lubuntu, Tiny Core, Puppy Linux, SliTaz, Porteus. I wasted a lot of time following the misinformation that is disseminated in an advertising tone by a guy called “Dio Linux”, he speaks well of Lubuntu and Xubuntu, but speaks poorly of MX Linux. When I tested Lubuntu and then Xubuntu, I was sure that it lies and spreads a lot of misinformation. At this time I was lost trying to find the GNU/Linux operating system for me. I remember like it was yesterday when I got this hint from Semme about antiX. antiX, naturally, was already on my test list, but I only managed to test it in May 2020 and my search was over, all that was missing was for the community to accept me (even though I didn’t know how to read and write in English) and still allow me to help do something (be it translating antiX, testing programs for antiX, etc.)

I thank the anticapitalista, the developers, the programmers, the translators and all participants of the antiX forum.

– – – – –

Olá Frtorres, eu concordo com você plenamente!

O antiX para mim é o número um e é o melhor. Por tanto, não dou importância quando as outras pessoas dizem ao contrário.

Neste mês de maio completam 3 anos que eu sou feliz por ter testado e encontrado o antiX.

E no próximo dia 10 de junho 2023 completam 3 anos que eu sou muito feliz por poder fazer parte da comunidade antiX.

Na lista apresentada de forma superficial pelo Mayank Sharma, eu testei o respectivamente: Lubuntu, Tiny Core, Puppy Linux, SliTaz, Porteus. Eu perdi muito tempo seguindo as desinformações que são divulgadas em tom de propaganda de um sujeito que se chama “Dio Linux”, ele fala bem do Lubuntu e do Xubuntu, mas fala mal do MX Linux. Quando eu testei o Lubuntu e depois o Xubuntu, eu tive certeza que ele mente e divulga muita desinformação. Nesta época eu estava perdido tentando encontrar o sistema operacional GNU/Linux para mim. Eu me lembro como se fosse hoje quando eu recebi esta indicação do Semme sobre o antiX. O antiX, naturalmente já estava na minha lista de testes, mas eu só consegui testá-lo em maio de 2020 e a minha busca havia acabado, só faltava a comunidade me aceitar (mesmo eu não sabendo ler e escrever em idioma Inglês) e ainda me permitr ajudar a fazer alguma coisa (seja traduzindo o antiX, testando os programas para o antiX, etc.)

Eu agradeço ao anticapitalista, aos desenvolvedores, aos programadores, aos tradutores e a todos os participantes do fórum do antiX.

Brian Masinick

PPC said, “It’s a nice read. According to TechRadar antiX is, in fact the best lightweight Linux distro with live boot capabilities.
                  But I disagree- I think antix is the best lightweight distro and among the best Operating systems available (not just linux distros).”

I agree that antiX is the best lightweight distribution, and it’s also among the best because it hits squarely what it aims to VERY well.
                  I disagree with the comment that “It’s a nice read.” I think it’s a lousy article; about the only thing useful about it is the
                  mention of several distributions that *may* be worth looking at if you are a distro-hopper. However, even among them, I strongly
                  feel that antiX meets it’s objectives very well. Even MX Linux, which I also think is a very good general purpose distribution,
                  though that’s also true, antiX “wins” comparisons in my book because it reaches each goal and expectation.

I give MX Linux high marks because it has many of the same flexible tools we have, and the history of the distribution with
                  the original Simply MEPIS distribution included some of the features that KNOPPIX included, so it was an early leader of
                  Live distributions; we passed it up with the attention to detail, keeping things very lean and efficient;
                  they’re both keepers for me, but antiX has risen to my #1 and I have it on every computer
                  that’s running an official Linux distribution.

--
                  Brian Masinick

andyprough

I see in the review of Linux Lite it says “Reasons to avoid – Fairly heavy on system resources”. So if it’s heavy on resources, how can it be called lightweight? Isn’t that a blatant contradiction?

Because if you call something “light” in our world of advertising slogans, then it must truly be light. Right? Just like “light beer” and “light potato chips” help people lose weight [or maybe not].

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.